Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Are there any commercial games coming out in FPSC?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 11:33
@danjo:

I'm not sure what the problem is here. A question was asked and answered and now there is a debate about the merits of these games.

Quote: "As far as off-topicness goes, if the conversation is revolving around or spawned from the original topic, they are not in the wrong."

It also seemed to me like a logical progression of the thread not off topic nonsense.

I didn't read this thread to see your unnecessarily rude response!

Quote: "The topic, however, does not allow for your blithering outburst against other forumers. Keep it in check, or you may be moderated. "

Plystire's right again. 5 day noob slap for you danjo.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 18:39 Edited at: 7th Oct 2009 18:42
The games that are made with FPSC can - by all means - not be compared with games published by professional studios.

Even a mediocre game (you know, the ones with a license from the latest superhero/fantasy/animation blockbuster )takes 6 months of developement and a dozen people working on it.

The "better" games take between 1 and 3 years and there are several dozen highly spezialised people working on it. Some even develop their own engine first to make sure everything works the way they want.

And what makes a game *suck*? Personally I found that Doom 3 sucked although it was a best-selling high-rated game so its probably a matter of taste.

But there ARE several things that make a game "suck" no matter how much love and enthusiasm is put into it by the creators. This includes:

- voiceovers where all characters are *obviously* spoken by one person (who doesnt have a proper micro in addition).
- motivation for the PC is so low, that you dont restart after the first death.
- custom jobs (like retexturing) that are so bad, that it hurts even looking at them, let alone play the game.
- throwing monsters against the player that range from soldier over fantasy warrior to mummy without the slightest explanation.
- bugs like unreachable switches, NPCs shooting through walls, PC falling through the floor etc.

Lets face it, there are a lot of FPSC (WIP) games that consist to 50% of the above mentioned so its safe to say these suck.

Personally I havent uploaded one of my WIPs yet becasue MY OWN stuff sucks big time in my opinion.

But to simply say that ALL FPSC games suck is really harsh because it would mean that the engine does too

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 18:45
In many cases; it's not the tool...it's the person using it. Learn to work within your limitations. Again (and it's been said before), comparing a $50 engine, to one that costs $500,000 to license (as well as the necessary team to create the game in the first place...as ST touched on) is ludicrous.

teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 05:28
This thread has been a very humorous read
Fpsc game cant make today's standard fps, but they can at least try to.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
FPS Creator is more like a map layout tool. Let's face it, in a technical sense nobody wants to go through the standard game making rigmarole, people just want to decide where things go. Many people who want to make games really just want to design levels.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 11:22
Not me... I'd rather make things happen to the things that get put down.

So yeah.... don't even ask me why I picked up FPSC in the first place, cuz I don't know.

The one and only,

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 14:38
FPSC is fun to play with,if you take it very seriously you can make a good game that can match with 2006 games(maybe even with some latest cause the quality of them is just bad) and you can earn like 50€ so you can go buy a game to play or some new hardware.

[href]http://sites.google.com/site/chargedstudios/home[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 09:29
Well my team's game, Physix, landed a nice contract for commercial distribution with GamePro (click ma sig...). We're even about to be featured in the January issue of the magazine. You can make really nice stuff with FPSC, but the problem that I think most people face is adding all the little bells and whistles together. I've said this before: FPSC can be just a stunning as Source or those other engines, but designers needs to have a good grip on every aspect of design or at least a strong team to make it work... I could ramble for hours, but most of you guys already know my opinion.

Oh yeah... E.L.E.

Physix Coming Soon...
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 11:04 Edited at: 19th Oct 2009 11:05
Blast, you beat me to it! I actually saw your game on Gamepro a while ago while browsing the GP Labs games. Not knowing it was FPSC I thought man, that looks pretty good for an indie game (but being an FPSC user I was a little suspicious )

Anyhow, I think what everyone has to remember is that not everybody knows about FPSC. Despite the size of this forum, FPSC is NOT well known. If you show something made in FPSC to somebody who's never heard of it, even if it's something crappy by our standards, they'd likely be amazed

Though it's been said by others, I don't think it's fair to say FPSC games suck (even if the majority of people think it does). Games made with FPSC in the right hands could definitely be better than some full commercial games. It's all about the user...

Take Umbra for example. Not the best game, nor anything overly special as far as commercial games go. But despite being made in FPSC and having limited game mechanics, it still managed to be an interesting and fun game.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
The only problem I see with FPSC is the limitations it poses. X10 fixed a lot of these issues, but even games like GTA IV can run on XP without issue. Anyway, the limitations are:

1. Ragdoll physics. In a modern FPS, they are a must. The migration might offer this, but even then it will still be rather glitchy.

2. Textures. Even though you set the settings very high, textures still look like garbage nearly all the time.

3. Lack of decent shaders. CoZ's shaders are good, but we need more variety.

4. The "falling through floor" bug still has YET to be fixed. How many versions now has it not worked? Honestly.

5. Dodgy movement / collision detection.

6. Weapons. Most weapons from the weapon packs are below average on other FPS games. On packs 9 and 10, you can continuously reload the gun even when the clip is full. An issue that should have been tested.

7. You still don't feel like you're playing a FPS. The enemies have horrible AI, there is no cover system, there is nothing that would make you feel like you're in an intense battle.

8. Anything decent has to be scripted in. If they really wanted to make it easy, they would include allies, they would include event checkpoints, etc.

9. Realistic physics. Boxes falling down steps is decent, but it's nothing we haven't seen on old games such as Half-Life. Dynamic windows need to be made, meaning ones that actually shatter if ran into them with a gun, etc.

10. Most animations look choppy and poorly produced. Mainly this applies to the enemies dying. They don't fall like one would expect, they kinda just dive for the ground.

11. Most of the time objects look correctly placed in the editor, but then you play the game and realize that everything is 50,000 meters apart.

12. There are no dynamic environments. No matter how many packs are made for this, you can't dynamically mold and shape environments. Everything is flat. It always will be.

Well, I think you get my point. Basically I'm saying it's a decent editor but needs major work to meet today's standards.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 14:29
Quote: "6. Weapons. Most weapons from the weapon packs are below average on other FPS games. On packs 9 and 10, you can continuously reload the gun even when the clip is full. An issue that should have been tested.
"

I don't know of any guns that don't allow you to reload them even if they have a full clip.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 14:35
There are 3 things some people seem to forget when talking about the *quality* of FPSC games

1. What one can do with an FPSC game is limited by the capabilities of the engine - which costs FIFTY BUCKS!
2. The variety of content is limited by what is publicly available (either for free or for a few $ more)
3. The final game is mostly made by ONE developer only, who has seldomly the resources to create a hundred huds for conversations and several hundred lines of voice overs.

However coming from the mod scene I have played HUNDREDS of hours of NWN, NWN2, Oblivion and Gothic mods which mostly where developed by one person alone. Dedication is probably the key to a *quality* game but its easier to bring it up when being part of a mod community like the one from NWN2 where not some 100 but several 1000 people roam the boards and inspire each other.

Which brings me to
4. The FPSC community is a small one and there arent so much games around that make you say: "wow, that was exciting! If that guy can do - I can make a game too, maybe a more exciting one" (But being a small community its no less dedicated, there are always competitions running and advice is given everywhere).

I came to the conclusion that FPSC is a *hobby engine* and I treat it like that. I am working slowly on a game that should entertain people but is not supposed to attract Bioware's interest in me as a developer.

And a sidenote to "overused themes" in FPSC. Exactly the same themes are overused by the whole gaming industry. I wouldnt mind playing another zombie or ww2 game if its well done

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 15:05
@The Storyteller 01,

Very insightful. I would only add that though the engine does have some serious limitations, there are often ways to get by them and the variety of content is only limited to what you can create.

Brian.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 20:27

Gee I left for a few months and this is what I come back to.Each to his own not every one will like the games I make and it's unlikely that I will like every game I play.

However if you make make a game that sells commercially be prepared to have negative feed back more than positive feedback.

To be brutally honest....Put your money where your mouth is. 99 percent of the people who post here are selective on pretty much on every thing here what you eat where you take a dump or a whizz.

Pretty much your whole live is based on selection either by you or by some one else....

So every one can be selective on which FPSC game they like or don't
for that matter.However be selective by either keeping your mouth shut with a nail gun when you have nothing positive to say.

I had plenty of time to think about this and have come to the following conclusion that FPSC has made a couple of narrow minded developers, not that it’s the developers Fault. However the developers still leave much to desire in their skills.

What I hate the most is seeing a 4 x 4 room that looks like block people live here and shoot with block guns with block bullets. In block land there is only one block light source its called the block sun. The block sun, which is a white block it casts no static block shadows. In block land block entities have been banned by the block land developers.

Block scripts shops have all closed down in block land. I think you get the blocking picture. Bad light mapping, slapped together levels and flat never ending walls ceilings among other stuff is unlikely to get you any good results at all.

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2. Textures. Even though you set the settings very high, textures still look like garbage nearly all the time."

Texture's are fine. It's FPSC's lack of an integrated display quality menu which sucks. If you manually, set anisotropic filtering for your video card the textures look as they should. However, the end user isn't going to know to do that.

Quote: "6. Weapons. Most weapons from the weapon packs are below average on other FPS games. On packs 9 and 10, you can continuously reload the gun even when the clip is full. An issue that should have been tested."

What Thraxas said. ALL reload-able weapons do this in vanilla FPSC.
If using an AirMod compatible mod, all you need to do is add nofullreload=1 to fix that.

Quote: "10. Most animations look choppy and poorly produced. Mainly this applies to the enemies dying. They don't fall like one would expect, they kinda just dive for the ground."

That's no fault of the engine other that rag-doll would be preferable to canned anims. You can't blame the media creator either because you can't expect thousands of dollars worth of wire-rigged motion capture for 15-20 bucks a pack.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 21:16
Quote: "What I hate the most is seeing a 4 x 4 room that looks like block people live here and shoot with block guns with block bullets. In block land there is only one block light source its called the block sun. The block sun, which is a white block it casts no static block shadows. In block land block entities have been banned by the block land developers.

Block scripts shops have all closed down in block land. I think you get the blocking picture. Bad light mapping, slapped together levels and flat never ending walls ceilings among other stuff is unlikely to get you any good results at all.
"

I have to wholeheartly agree.

A certain group of people is always nagging: "FPSC lacks this and that, what the games have that I like to play"

But there is something that most FPSC games lack, which is NOT the fault of the engine but of the developer: The lack of imagination.

cloudwalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks some of these look quite good. Reason I ask is because I saw a game in HMV made with FPSC. Judging by the box its made from all stock models.
Silver Eye Productions
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 15:34
Hmm... Im not sure if Skeleton Hotel was commerical. A lot of people wanted it but i didnt know if i sold. Well...

Quote: "I have to add that most of these suck."

I think they are bad but, some of them has great things.

But really all games in the world suck, there is no perfect games.

I hate bad reviews on good games altso!

I GOT BALLS OF STEEL!
cloudwalker
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just seen that someone else found them too. Probably the same copies:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=101226&b=21

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 05:18:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 05:18:41