Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Checking users PC spec. for DarkPhysics

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 15:06
Is there a way to check whether a users PC is capable of running a game that uses DarkPhysics? I only ask because a few people are having trouble running my demo but not all...

I suggest that this means either their driver or hardware is not up to spec/date. Is there a way of checking this within DBP just to let the user know they need to update something?
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 19:53
x = Physx()

If x = 0 then Physx hardware is not available.
If x = 1 then Physx hardware is available.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 15:54
Does that check for version as well or just whether the PPU is present?

Or is it as simple as: I use "x = Physx()" and x returns as "1" then the user should be able to run my game?

I don't know very much about how this stuff works...
Duke E
Years of Service
User Offline
Rigid body's are not accelerated by the GPU (NVidia drivers). Fluids, particles, cloths and softbody are improved if "Physx()" returns true. PPU's (Physics accelerator cards) does accelerate rigid bodys but then again those are so old so modern CPU's probably outperforms them.

So if you use mostly rigid body's the thing you need to check is what kind of CPU your users have.

Rigid body Nvidia GPU Acceleration should be in coming Physix drivers though, if ParkPhysics supports those.

Regards
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 18:57
@Duke E, thanks for your post.

All I really wanted to know was what checks can I do to see if my game should run. How well it runs is another matter (to some extent).

When someone says:
Quote: "This game doesn't work..."

I want to be able to say:
Quote: "Do you get error code "101" (or whatever) or does it just run slowly (Get a new PC)?"
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 02:16
If Physx() returns a 1, then PPU is detected and drivers are installed.

If it returns a 0, then PPU is not detected, or drivers (PhysX Runtime) is not installed. DarkPhysics is also set up so that it will automatically open a web browser at the point where you call the PhysX() command and go to the NVidia website if the player doesn't have the PhysX runtime software installed. (which doesn't require the PPU)

So when you distribute your game, you're going to have to make sure that your players install the PhysX runtime software before they run the game. That will allow players with ATI (and other) cards to still play your game with PhysX support.

If I recall, Fluids REQUIRE the PPU to be present. I've not messed with DarkPhysics for a while now, so I'm not sure if that's been addressed or not.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 10:47
@KISTech, thanks! That clears it up in my fuzzy old head!

I'll try to make sure that anyone trying to run the game knows what they need to run it and leave it at that since it automatically directs people to the web site anyway!
Eduardo Henrique
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 10:22
I dont know if its helps, but...
To know the physx version I use:

PhyVer=get registry("SOFTWARE\AGEIA Technologies","PhysX Version")
if PhyVer =0
POPUP "Error","PhysX not found."+chr$(13)+"You will need..."
endif

Eduardo

Bit9 - www.Bit9.com.br
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 11:40
Thanks Eduardo, I'll give that a try!