Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Photoshop Question -- Auto-Update Image?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 14:52
Whenever Im creating textures for my models in photoshop, I usually save them out to a BMP format that 3DSmax reads in whenever it changes and updates the model's texture on the fly. The annoying part is Im almost constantly making minor tweaks in the texture, jumping over to max, rendering to see how they look, then going back to photoshop to re-tweak them, over and over again. This wouldn't be too bad if all I had to do was choose the Save option in photoshop to update the BMP image whenever I've made a change, however because Im using multiple layers in photoshop, whenever I want to update my texture bmp I have to do a Save As, choose BMP, select my texture file and overwrite it.

Im wondering if there is a way to be able to press one button and have photoshop save over the BMP file automatically, instead of trying to save as a PSD and forcing me to reselect my save options every time.

Anyone know?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
It just seems you're a bit lazy. Anyways you can try to flatten the image first, if it's already a BMP that you opened and added layers then it'll be able to be SAVE without the whole process of overwriting.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 18:33
@ Ashingda 27 - You have obviously never had to produce a lot of assets with good textures.

Ruccus, I hear ya man. I have that same problem, and I asked the same question of my lead artist and didn't get a satisfactory reply. Surely, though, you can set up some kind of automation for that on a keybind.

I would love an answer to this as well!

Greenlig

Blender3D - CS3 - VISTA - DBPro
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 20:18 Edited at: 6th Oct 2009 20:26
.Psd Work with max9 for on-the-fly texture tweaking.

I do it all the time.

Once your done, then save the final as a bmp

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes, That way, i wouldn't have your problems"
http://lazerus-reborn.deviantart.com/
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 21:37
Cinema 4D also supports .psd format, and its how I flip back between Photoshop and C4D.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 22:28
I was actually just about to try that when I got home. It works , thanks guys. There's your answer greenlig .
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 00:04 Edited at: 7th Oct 2009 00:04
Just one other point. Photoshop CS3 lets you load 3DS models, so that you can actually see the textures being replaced with Ctrl S (or Alt S I've forgotten)

Photoshop CS4 allows you to actually paint textures on 3DS models.

They both allow multiple layers.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 00:48
Thats Interesting. Ill have to take a look into that. Thanks Pincho
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 17:17
Actions are your friend!

With your multilayered image file open start recording a new action -> Save the image as a PSD -> Flatten the image -> Save the image as a BMP -> Stop recording the action.

Now whenever you want to save your updated image simply run the action (or click the action button if you have them set as buttons) and you file will be saved as a PSD and a BMP

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 17:39 Edited at: 8th Oct 2009 17:39
Holy hell, I had no idea photoshop could do that. Scraggle wins for the best tip ever lol. Sweet, that will speed up things as well. Thanks Scraggle.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 05:31
I've wonder this before too...thanks Scraggle!

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH-8qtRvnD8

Damn - how cool is that! I see it will open Collada files (DAE) as well, so I guess it would work well with SketchUp. Time to go see how much a student license of CS4 Extended is!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:56:30
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:56:30