Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Race track editor - spline based with automatic banking

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 15:23 Edited at: 12th Feb 2010 12:27
Hope this is of use to some one,its an editor i was working on for someone else's game,but when they saw what was needed media wise to do a racing game properly they changed there mind.
The track is a 3d spline based track so you can get some nice curves,hills and valies and the editor banks the track depending on how tight the bends are.
Theres no save option in this editor its just a proof of concept to show it all works,but there is a preview option (press space) that loops around the track,it also adds a bit of scenary to the sides of the track so all though it is possible to cross the track and make a bridge by raising it up the scenary may get positioned on some the track where it crosses,but its only a rough guide to show how its done.
The hole thing creates its own basic media and track shape profile so all you need to do is read the controls on screen and edit your track.
If you want the save and load part of the code let me know but it does use plugins for the file selectors unless you want to hard code the file names into it.

Just noticed cut and paste seems to be swaping some '0' for 'o' not sure why but i've edited the code so it should be ok?
Edit:
Scroll down for latest videos of this
paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 16:48 Edited at: 7th Oct 2009 17:41
Few screen shots
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
And a video of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4QcVxDodrw
castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 19:43
wow, thats awesome! You should really develop this further!

this is where my signature is supposed to be.
paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 13:32
Another small vid this time with a plasma effect track and background
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz92LEnmg24
Storm4
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree, you should keep on developing this. It's looks amazing, except that new video was a little to bright for me LOL

www.storm4.webs.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 17:38
This is amazing!!

I was planning a race game after my current project. I'll let you know if I use this!!

Keep up the good work
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 21:55
Very nice, the creepy colors remind me of Audiosurf somehow.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 22:14
You definitely need to continue developing this! It looks great and very easy to use. Makes me want to start work on a racing game...

-Yodaman Jer.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks really good, and makes me want to make a game for it as well.

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 22:21
Ok latest version is back to a more normal color scheme and ive included a function that saves out the track ready to be loaded back in and displayed.
The file names are hard coded in and it saves automaticaly every time you build the preview track,so if you like one change its name or it will be over writen the next time you run the editor.
Editor.

Loader\\Viewer.
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
so this is only a race track editor at the moment? you title says auto banking so it makes me think it has gravity and such pre programmed.

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 11:14
I think by auto banking he means the track automatically banks as it goes round a corner, not the cars.

Also, this looks really good - would make a cool futuristic racing game.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 12:03
Thanks blobby you beet me to the punch,yes this is only a tool for making the objects that build up to make the track.
Physics of any kind is up to the programmer that uses that data,the track doesnt even have to be banked around the corners you can easily rem out that part of the code.The profile can also be changed for a smooth track instead of curved with very little work.
The version i have testing at the moment has different profiles that can be used at differnt parts of the track ,i`ve even re-done a lot of the code so it can be used with my GUI System thats in another of my posts.
I`ll keep the screen shots and videos coming so you can give me some feed back but dont forget the textures im using are all made in game and are only for testing.Any comments or sugestions are welcome but please remember this is tool for designing the track data not a game.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone wants to make a game with this, I will be happy to make some Wipeout models, so long as we share the game.

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 09:23 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 10:05
New video showing the landcsape creator having done its job on the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_9fyBt_QE
This is about as far as i took it for my friends game (mario kart clone) and at the time the tracks didn't lean into the corner and were all flat.But i've kept to the same data format for all my routines so i can do this fractal land scape routine around any track and it simply carves out or builds up the terrain around it.
When i get a chance sometime this week i'll post a video of a very twisty undulating track but the landscaping part of it takes up a fare amount of time in the build process , so much so ive split the designer into 3 seperate programs,designer,landscaper and a loader/viewer app.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 10:54
That's some great work, I look forward to seeing an undulating track!
paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 15:54 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 15:55
Undulating test track video,had to cut out some of the landscaping routine to make it a little quicker,unfortunatley it hasnt quite worked the way i planned,because some of the land 'bleeds' sort of into the track texture,can solve it by simply raising the track a bit at load time,but if you go off the track onto the land its hard to get back on because of the step between them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhsVgywPWk
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 17:33
This is amazing!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 23:03 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 23:05
Very nice. How about walls? Or better still.. slanted walls? I'm trying to remember what Wipeout had.

EDIT: Yeah it had slanted walls. Then it is easy to add models of your own for the landscape.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 21:07
Reminds me of Bobs Track builder. Nice work.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because we are sadistic losers with nothing better to do. (mwahahaha!)
paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 09:17
Not had much chance to work on this for while,but another couple of posts have sparked my interest in it again.It follows on from some of my other posts regarding generating media at run time and blending images to get a shader like effect without any of the overheads.
The code is made up of 3 seperate routines for ease of testing,the first is
Track Editor.

When running press the "l" key to load in a bsaic map to get you started,notice there are no sharp bends and ive kept the distance between the points roughly even.
Press the space bar to switch to test mode and save out the track data ready for the next stage.
Landscape Editor.

Not an editor of such as yet but just sit back and wait,takes about a minuet on my pc to build the landscape and textures,once done it saves everything out ready to be loaded in when ever needed and lets you fly around the landsacpe with mouse.
Loader.

Basic routine to load in all the data,make the meshes and speed around the track,notice the "wait 50" command in the main loop to slow it down a bit.
Hope you like it and have a look at the video of it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6wCdkpFQw
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 12:59 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 13:00
Wow.... just... wow...

EDIT: I think you are an amazing programmer, you really take it to the next level

The byte chrunchers are coming...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
So, is there any media required for the default landscapes etc?

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 06:09
No Pincho thats the whole point of this version of the code,every thing is created within the 3 code snippets.The track editor saves out 2 files,one by pressing the "s" key which saves out a text file that can be pasted back into the editor for later use and is just a list of the points used in the spline,the other is saved when you press "space" which is a polygon list of all the track meshes.The landscape editor loads in the polygon list from the track editor,builds the meshes for the track,then builds a series of fractal based terrrain meshes which will be different every time its run.It then builds a random texture for the terrain again fractal based so that too will be different every time its run.It makes a track texture and sky texture then saves out every thing ready to be used in the loader or any any other application.
Save the 3 code snippets as projects in ther own folder,run them in the order shown,then look at the media that is created in the folder.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 01:44
That's ace. Good luck finishing it.

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 14:37
Scenary editor is now in a rough form alowing me to add in trackside stuff,again all the media and models are made in the editor at run time,even the trees,and then saved out as before ready for the loader.
Give me a day or so to tidy it up into a releaseable bit of code and i'll post it here.
If any body wants to have a go at making there own media for it its very easy to add in in place of mine,i'll highlight the code up that needs changing or you can add in a file selector your selves.As long as you keep all the media in the same folder as the loader so it can access it there shouldn't be any problems.
Quick video to show it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwmbjT5GnhE
paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 13:00 Edited at: 11th Feb 2010 13:01
Latest video the scenary editor output,now does bridges so the track can cross,again all the media is made in game at runtime and saved out for later use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8RSVsejTE
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 13:40
This just gets better! Great work...

I bet it'll make me a cup of coffee and clean the kitchen too soon!

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 13:52
Not before its made me one,thanks baxslash.
If you want the code for scenary editor that makes the bulk of the textures and models(even the trees that im quite proud of,2 spheres and a box each!) or the new landscaper part that allows for the tracks to cross then i'll post it up.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 14:02
I wouldn't mind seeing the code for making the textures as it's something I'd like to experiment with myself?

I've often wondered how to make textures at runtime but never really bothered looking into it.

It's all amazing work!

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 14:41
The landscape and track texture routines are all ready posted in the code snipets a few posts up,i'll see if i can cut out the code for the texture making routines from the scenary editor and post up a demo of it for you baxslash.I would post the whole scenary editor code but its not really ready for people to use yet,its still a bit unrefined but it gets the job done!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 15:02
Quote: "The landscape and track texture routines are all ready posted in the code snipets a few posts up"

...oops, missed that thanks!

Quote: "i'll see if i can cut out the code for the texture making routines from the scenary editor and post up a demo of it for you"

Thanks but you've got enough on your hands surely!

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 15:37 Edited at: 11th Feb 2010 15:53
No problem baxslash,glad to help out.

save it as a project in a folder before you run it.
edit:
Forgot to mention the "bush" and "straw" textures have ther alpha chanels modified so you need to texture something with them and set the object transparency to 2 to get the best effect of whats been done.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 16:04
That's some really useful code thanks! I'll be using some of it for sure!!

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 16:19 Edited at: 11th Feb 2010 16:29
Loader code and media attatched so people can see it running on there own pc 1024 x 768 x32 windowed mode only for now
Edit:
Cant attatch the media it says its too big,but how can 49 meg be greater than the 50 meg limit,so if any one wants it i'll have to attatch it in multiple post or an external link.
Edit 2:
Just given 7zip a good kicking and now its co-operated and shrunk the file a lot lower

Attachments

Login to view attachments
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 08:22 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2010 20:38
hi this is a nice track editor...hope to see this progress more..

also i attaching a pic...can u explain whats going wrong...it from the last code snippet u post

edit:2-22-2010
thanks KIST and paul for reply, for the information, i found it were to look at and download and now it works.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 17:27
If I'm not mistaken, that's the LINE command from the Matrix1Utils.

Have a look in the DLL forum to download those. They are essential tools for any DBPro project.

paul5147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 20:25
Sorry Leo877,like KISTech said its part of matrix 1 utilities plugin,so esential you tend to forget that there not part of DBPro,if you havn`t got it then simply put an ink statement intead.

keep watching this space for the light mapped version of this,all done in DBPro with the shadows pre baked onto the textures,early version is allready up and running but very slow as yet
OldPMan
TGC Store Seller
Years of Service
User Offline
very good. many users will help. handsome. I had not looked here. try to use for my multiplayer worldspace constructor.

.....already beside..... for all
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2010 04:06
I wonder if this could be used to create a road system, if it were possible to have intersections I would definatly try to implement it into http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=167152&b=8 I wonder how hard it would be to make it multiplayer capable.

Add me to your MSN!
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 21:57
hi
this looks like a good program
the only thing

"find free memblock"
is not known by my DBK

I have what I thought
was every plugin but now it looks like that is not the case