Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / World creation with 3dsmax (question)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 01:29 Edited at: 8th Oct 2009 01:48
Hey all,
I'm currently (and have been for a while now) thinking of ways to realise a game idea I got a couple months ago-
and the idea is as follows;
A fairly large open gameworld, almost without loading zones, where the player can roam around in what once was a town, but is now overrun with zombies. (Graphic details are not extremely important to me, since i plan on making up for it in neat little features)

I have tried making my map with FPSC (which is one of the more easy ways), but the maximum size of Fps creator's maps is not enough for me. (since it would take alot of time loading many map dbo's and placing them correcly near eachother, and since i get lightmap errors when doing so)
Therefore I have started trying to make the entire gameworld (fairly low poly of course)in 3DS Max, but what I need to know is...
Is it worth the time making the entire (not very detailed) world/level in 3DS max and importing it as a .x model, or will it destroy my fps (frames per second) ?

Here is a render from 3dsmax to show what level of detail we are talking:

(all objects have smooth applied, so the cylinders and such are not as highpoly as they may appear)
thanks in advance,

Essal.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CokeBoi
Years of Service
User Offline
The only way large games (e.g Oblivion 4) could make it seem like the world was limitless was with very short loading times. If you make your models correctly and you cut everything up correctly then it's possible without destroying your fps. Alas, I do not know how to do so, sorry

LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:32:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:32:28