Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / New DBP IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 09:43
Hello,
I started work on DBP IDE because IDE which is shipped with DBP have bugs.

Current version is still in developmnet but now I have some nice features done. I will be happy if you give me wishlist, what you want in new IDE.
Thanks...

DONE :
-creating / opening / saving projects
-managig multiple source files
-help system (30%)
-color syntaxing
-unlimited undo
-intellisense (25%}

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 10:44
Excellent and about time someone got around to doing business. One nice but maybe difficult feature I'd like: Autocomplete Keywords or Types so when you have:

Test As Type
Arg1 As Integer
Arg2 As Integer
EndType

And the user types Test. then Arg1 and Arg2 will popup in a dropdown box. You see this in apps like Dreamweaver and Visual Basic, but again, it might be a bit difficult lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 10:54
Yes, I work on it, but I call it as "Intellisense" as is called by Microsoft.

It will autocompete uncompleted keywords, for example :
you write MAKE DI and editor autocomplete it to MAKE DIRECTORY
also I want to that you write MAKE and then press some key combination and there is displayed all command begining with MAKE and last feature will be what you wrote, so
Test. and there you can chose from all member variables.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 11:04
i have some!!!!

fold/unfold function works bad (if you fold your function, then you unfold it, you can't edit your function!!!!)

Attach media: you can attach only one media file where you are in the dialogue box. Can attach the entire directory or a file list???

Font type: only monospaced fonts??? can use "Normal" fonts??

i hope you understand my bad english.

Free Download for a Free World
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 11:10
I don't know if I include fold/unfold because in VisualStudio products there isn't this feature and I don't think that it have some purpose. I prefer use more DBA files related to one problem that use one big DBA and use fold/unfold.

Attach more media at once? Yes good idea.
Fonts - I include option in configuration of editor to chose font and font-size.

Thanks for tips!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 12:15
Search searchs through all files in the project
Sort files in name order.
If your doing a variable and label list, make sure you can sort them in order.
Matching IF/ENDIF REPEAT/UNTIL DO/LOOP etc commands

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 13:29 Edited at: 29th Aug 2003 14:31
Very nice has inspired me to get coding

I've managed to load keyword files but my problem is mhy syntax highlight takes a.g.e.s. (it has about 82kb worth of text file to parse - about 5,000 commands to run through?)

Dis you write this in VB? If so, how did you gt the quick highlight?

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops. Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Just leave it up to guy man.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 15:20
I don't use VB. I use VisualFoxPro so I store some data in databases and cursors for filtering, sorting etc. I have in plan very dynamic help system so i need fast access to data.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 15:33 Edited at: 29th Aug 2003 15:34
Ah, so is the UI made in foxpro too?

I have foxpro I just never understood its significance with other DB apps like access around.

Quote: "Just leave it up to guy man."

I don't think we'll be seeing him any time soon...

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops. Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 15:41
VFP is great tool for database apps and also have great command for work with strings. I write whole IDE in VFP and use VFP database as store medium. Actually i finished first version of toolbar and now I work on safer saving rutines.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 16:48
Well congratulations. What's the syntax like? What language do you code in?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 20:16
I too would love to have folding functions, it is a quick and handy way of working within your program, being able to see the entire code layout at a glance, then open just the function(s) I wish to change. It is a fallback to my AMOS Pro programming days. The current system auto-unfolds at the earliest opportunity and places your cursor where-ever it feels like.

Another nice feature of the AMOS Pro editor that I really miss is the ability to create a keyboard macro - that is a sequence of keypressed boung to a Ctrl-key.

I would also like to disable F6 as I don't use the debugger, but sometimes press it by accident when going for F5. Minor, but annoying - I would like to be able to turn it off.

I would like a 'simpler' find/replace tool, the DBPro editor one has too many options and forces me to work slower when using it. Most of the options are superflous. Also if you search through for references to a certain word the search text changes on you and you have to type your search again - even though you have already told it what you actually want to search for! The current editor has this sooooooooo wrong, I hate it!

I would like to select entire directories for media addition also, the current system takes an hour just to find out your .exe crashes. I am not sure if this is a problem in the compiler or the current editor, but there are many many problems with attaching media. Drag and drop might be nice

Being able to specify the file properties of the .exe and the icon would be nice too.

Auto-indent selected/entire code feature would be nice, not for me I do it naturally, but for other people to use when they want me to read it! *looks at brother*

The final feature would be a real boon - and not too bad as a second option if we can't have folding functions - that is the ability to open multiple .dba files at once in a daughter window that we can resize so we can put multiple source code onscreen - if you do this *PLEASE* dont inhibit support for a second monitor. The current editor allows multiple .dba files to be opened (but only if you know how) but you are restricted to having one onscreen - also the error reporting for include files is way off making them hard to debug and not a 'natural' process for DB programming.

Quote: "Just leave it up to guy man."

What-ever issues Guy has have been effecting us all for too long. I wish him well but really we do have to move on.

The compiler is pretty robbust and stable these days but the IDE has had only superficial changes since it's buggy state at launch.

I applaud this new attempt at an editor, and hope to be able to try it soon.

Pneumatic Dryll
Rye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 00:19 Edited at: 30th Aug 2003 01:28
how about a project "tree"
PROJECT
|-Main Loop
|-functions--¬
|gap gap gap |-Distance()
|gap gap gap |-zoneclicked()
|
|-Sub Routines--¬
gap gap gap gap |-Startup

Its what i have always wanted
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 00:39
Some versioning system would be handy to, especially for group collaberation.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 22:08
Beavis I see you are using CodeSense there

I've managed to get the highlighting wrking in CodeSense but I haven't manged to get my head around the intellisense bit yet

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 23:30
Please can you include TABS in your IDE Beavis? - I find they make for much easier navigation between files. See a screenshot of any Blitz IDE if you are not sure of what I mean.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 23:55
(sorry if this is stealing your thunder) but i've managed to get tabs into an MDI ide I was making for fun.

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2003 13:11
OK, here is new pic :
http://www.haback.net/js/img/dbp/030901.jpg

News :
- unlimited TABS for unlimited files in project added
- toolbar added
- quick goto function added
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 09:38
News :
- you can run multiple instances of IDE and open other projects
- multiple help windows (in each window you can look at other help file)
- help windows runs as standalone app for ALT-TAB switching
- help fully integrated into IDE - search by keywords, filtering, search by code type and search by chpaters of help.
- printing of sourcecode
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 09:48
And new pic...
http://www.haback.net/js/img/dbp/030902.jpg

Now I will work on project configuration and settings and on integration with compiler and then I will work on wishlist which I created from your sugestions.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 11:26
Looking good.

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 20:03 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2003 20:05
Please consider adding the option to force declaration of variables. I am always debugging my poor typing or is it my memory.. I forget

When are you estimating releasing the Beta version? I would like to participate in testing if feel you need it

System
PIII 650 MZ H.P. Pavillion
394 Mem GeForce 4 400MX
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 21:26
How did you get thje list of functions? My idea would be to search for the word "function", then grab the word after it, unfortunately sometimes for readbility people type things like:

function print_new(text as string)

where the function name would only be "print_new(text" and the rest of the parameters would be lost. Also, how are you determining if something is a commment or code? the fact that comments can begin half way though a line sort of messes things up

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 22:23
@David

With the functions, get the name (read until you encounter a bracket character), then get the parameters (read until you encounter a close-bracket character).

As for comments, just check throught the line first, and if REM appears as a word on its own, or the ` character appears (outside of quotes), then the characters after that should be ignored by the parser.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 23:30
A feature I would like is allowing you to select different compilers so it would be easyer to make a kind of pre-processor and switch between different ones and the normal compiler.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 07:00
how about numbering lines?

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 09:50
OK, i plan release first version for testing, so now I look for someone who is interested and want to cooperate with me on development of new IDE as tester. But I still need help with compiler. Now I call it as application but i'd like to have some response from it as in original IDE for showing progress bar etc.

DAVID > I search for each function word and grab name as all characters to ( and function list as all between ()

THE_WINCH > Yes, its good idea. Sometimes someone need compile in patch 4 compiler, someone in patch 5 etc. I include this in config.

FroggermonSSE> I dont see any point in numbering lines, because current DBP is more procedural language. And also there is function goto line. But I include turn-on linenumbering option in config.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 15:38
I might be able to give you the right info for getting feedback from the compiler ... I'll locate it and post it here for you later today.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 15:46
DAVID > I search for each function word and grab name as all characters to ( and function list as all between ()

Thanks for the info. I realised that just after posting now off to find labels.

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 17:09
IanM> I will be happy if you post this info here. Thanks...
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 21:35
here are somethings that i'd like to see:
- opening a project opens all files in the project, sorted by last saved date so that what you were working on last is at the front of the list
- line numbers are a good thing: the compiler gives you a line number when you get an error
- the preprocessor idea is a good one, but you should just create a config screen that allows you to select an exe, set the command-line params and then set the order of execution for the exes. this allows any number of scenarios to happen...ie: when you get into a dev cycle you could have it run the compilers for your levels so that your current maps are always included in the build. it's a batching system, effectively
- the project tree is a great idea, grouped by project, file and then the list of types and functions. double-plus good. even better would be to double click on an item and jump to it in your code
- function collapsing is extremely handy. i, too, use several source files, effectively mimicing classes. however, a 'class' for a core game type can easily run 600-1000 lines, which gets tricky to navigate

cheers and good luck. any other oldtimers feeling 'dirty' about thinking of using this

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 22:04
@Beavis:

Here's the info for you, almost straight from the horses mouth (or Guys at least )

Quote: "On the command line, you pass the name of the temporary project file saved in the temp folder

During the compilation, the IDE monitors for termination of the compiler process

The compiler stores current line compilation messages in a filemapped file called DBPROEDITORMESSAGE that is mapped to the swap file

During compilation, you can update the status bar from the contents - it is a 4 byte integer that is updated by the compiler.

If there is an error, the compiler broadcasts WM_USER+0 message to forms with a class name of TDBPROEDITOR. If it appears, you can open the filemap and pull out the string that was stored in the filemap. You can then parse the string for a line number, then open the offending source file, highlight the line number reported, and pop up the error message."
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 23:52
Hmm.. that strikes me as unnecesserily complicated. Why doesn't the compiler just write to a text file which could be stored in the \Compiler\ folder? - then the IDE could just open the file after the compiler terminated and check for error reports. The compiler would delete & recreate the file on each compile.

ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 02:09
filemaps are actually relatively easy to work with...guy uses them extensively with the ide (it's how plugins work) and there's plenty of sample code lying around. i've posted 4 or 5 plugins with source and c++ code in the forums over at RGT which anyone can feel free to grab (ie. beavis).

on the otherhand, a programmable interface to the compiler would be much more slick, with proper error handling classes that returned api-defined object collections with the proper info.

mmmm...proper info.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 15:24
Rob, it does that too. If you compile a program with an error in it you'll find a file called 'ErrorReport.txt' in the DBPro temp folder. It's not deleted on a successful compile, so you'd have to do that yourself before you call the compiler.

The filemap is also useful for getting the status information that Guy has used in the 'Building executable' progress bar too.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 16:43
Thanks for informing me on that

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 15:57
wow its going to be hard to choose which one to use.

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 16:11 Edited at: 5th Sep 2003 16:12
I know - well, I would go for a more Visual Studio-type program myself...

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 16:13
OK, thanks for informations. I was one day away so I will now work harder through weekend to finish unfinished work. I would like to release first betaversion on Monday. If is there someone who is interested to test this IDE, please write me mail at martin@insico.cz or write it here. I will be happy if I found at least 3 testers (experienced programmers in DBP) who will use my IDE and report me bugs and suggestions for improvements.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 20:15
I'd love to help you test it
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 23:08
i'm in...let me know. sending you email

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 00:01
I'd love to beta test it as well

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 02:03
Well, there you go then. There's your 3 experience programmers already
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 12:34
OK, I will contact you at Monday morning. I'm curently away from my computer.
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 18:41 Edited at: 8th Sep 2003 18:42
funny how the three experienced programmers are using cartoons and muppets as avatars...surely portraying an aura of professionalism for the Beave.

looking forward to your email, Beavis.

i have to admit, though, if you can post messages to the forum when you're not at your computer, you've got me beat!

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 19:55
On weekend I visited my parents, so I wrote from fathers computer, not from my own. So I can't work on IDE. Now I'm fully working on it.
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 14:28 Edited at: 9th Sep 2003 14:37
OK, betas uploaded and send to my cartoons testers.
Remember that this version is still at early stage and I need test if app start corectly on your system etc.

TESTERS> please dont distribute beta-versions. Thanks.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 14:39
@Beavis

Hmm, I haven't received it. Sometimes large files bounce when you try to send them to me@robert-knight.net. Can you try sending it to jimknight@email.com instead?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 15:22
I'll be sending a nice large set of program problems (mainly screenshots soon).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:44:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:44:01