Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Can I make an FPS/RPG with FPSCreator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. Now I'm a writer, not a programmer. But I am a gamer, and i have come to the conclusion that my writing style would be much better suited for a game more than a book or movie, tv etc.

So I have come up with a story for an FPS/RPG. And I've found a couple of people who are interested in helping me out. So I guess my question is in the title? Can I make an FPS/RPG with FPSCreator?

The finished product would hopefully ending up being a cross bettween bioshock and fallout 3. So yeah, anybody wanna help a n00b?

If you wanna know about the story and the rpg mechanics i can post that.

n0000000000b!
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2009 05:30 Edited at: 17th Oct 2009 05:31
Yes you can. YOu could do it with vanilla FPSC but it would take lots of work on your part. If you use Flatlander's fantastic RPG Mod you'll still have to do some scripting but lots of things are already done for you.

I'd also recommend using his FPIEditPad, as he has provided a version with all the RPG Mod commands built in to it.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2009 07:21
To make an RPG you definitely want to use Flatlander's RPG Mod (as Thraxas has already suggested.) You will need to learn the scripting language to use it though as it takes a LOT of scripting.
You also definitely should want to know FPSC's limitations before you plan so far ahead.
FPSC isn't very good for outdoor areas. I suggest looking at Nickydude's Fallout 3 test to get some ideas on making levels outdoors.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158549&b=25

Signature's are stupid.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2009 15:10
If you dont want to learn a lot first you'll have to stick with Shooters

Even with the best mods availabe AND scripting talent it's not gonna be somewhere near Oblivion, Stalker or what you see in any MMO.

But you could get somwhere close to "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic" p.e.

You can also check out Fantasy mods made for shooter games like Doom3, Unreal or Quake. That might give you some inspiration how to make fantasy without extensive dialogue, questing, inventory rummage and crafting.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 03:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 03:23:56