Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Painting a second/third/etc. texture layer on top of base terrain texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 21:19
Just a quick question:
Can anyone give me a step by step procedure to painting one texture on top of the base texture of an object in darkGDK?
After having nothing but trouble exporting .x files with these texture layers intact, I'm just wondering if I can:

load a grayscale map in darkGDK and have a texture follow that map on a layer on top of the base texture. What commands would I use to do that? I'm guessing it' something to do with blendmapping but I'm not totally following how this would work.

Basically, I have a base grass texture and I want to be able to make some patches rocky and whatnot.
action 9000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 22:05 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2009 00:25
Bump.

Sorry to be a pain, I'm really just wondering if this method is possible. Vertex alpha terrains are not loading any more than the base texture in DarkGDK (looks like DarkGDK doesn't handle vertex alpha values automatically), though if someone has any information about that, it would be much appreciated as well, at all, in my experience and the base/detail texture method will not really be preferrable, since I have a need for multiple terrain objects (if I need to change the detail texture, there's suddenly a seam).

How are all you folks making terrains with roads running through them and those sorts of things?
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
well, you just paint the road on the texture.
action 9000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 17:51 Edited at: 26th Oct 2009 17:53
I have been able to get that to work, Isocadia, in a very low resolution. If I generate one 512x512 texture to cover a large area, it does work but it appears as very low-detail in-game.

If I use a larger texture, the terrain eats up so much memory that it shoots my system requirements through the roof (which I'm trying to keep down). 1024x1024 increases my game's memory footprint from 200MB (for 512x512) to 550MB..and that's for one terrain which still doesn't look that great, considering the huge memory investment.

These are made in T.ED using the supertexture feature, which is the only way I've been able to get anything resembling multiple textures on one terrain so far, and like I said, the detail seems very low because I can't just seem to blend some tiled grass/rock/cliff textures in the game in the same way that I can in the editor itself. That's what I'm wondering if it can be done and roughly what the procedure would be.
action 9000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 18:18 Edited at: 26th Oct 2009 18:21
The image of my terrain in T.ED, showing more detail:

And the terrain in my game with a supertexture (512x512):

Is there a way to make the in-game detail be more like the editor's detail? That's basically what I'm wondering. Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:40:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 16:40:08