Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / FPS 3D Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, i want to do a multiplayer fps game. So i have to load a model(which would be the player) and use it along with camera directions, instead of loading only the weapon and place it on the right place. This way the other players of the game can actually see me, instead of seeing only the weapon moving around. But the problem is that when i move my camera, i can see the inside of the model, because i place the camera inside the model. How do you guys use to do this ? And btw, does anybody tried creating a multiplayer game with the functions that come with dark GDK(DarkSDKMultiplayer.h)? Does it work well ?
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2009 05:59
I'm not a big 3D type but it seems to me that you want to put the camera just in front of where the eyes would be.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
With the built in MP functions, I think that in Vista/Win7 it has been removed. Use MikeNet (darknet), it is damn good. I am making a multiplayer fps and really it takes some perseverance to even get a working box fps with controls etc.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Or use multisync, its free and almost as good as darknet.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2009 18:26 Edited at: 20th Oct 2009 18:29
You don't. You'd use a hand/gun model for player 1 on their pc; but for all the other players pc's you'd use a model of the whole character.

e.g for 3 players...
Player 1 sees Player 1's hands and player 2 and 3's whole bodys
Player 2 sees Player 2's hands and player 1 and 3's whole bodys
etc.

And DarkNet is much much better than multisync. Darknet has support for uPnP, encryption, TCP & UDP. Altho Multisync is very good, and both are a lot better than the "built in" networking commands.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
zydeoN
Years of Service
User Offline
So and how would i decide in my program that some players have the whole bodys and others (whoever is playing) sees only the hands ?
Can i do it all in the same main.cpp or do i have to create 2 projects: one for the playing around and another for the main server ?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 10:15
its entirely up to you whether or not you write a seperate server, or have it built in.

All the server has to do it keep track of all the players positions, health and ammo etc.

The client checks for input from the local player (the one who's hands are on screen), sends the info to the server, which updates everyones positions, determines if anyones been shot etc. then sends the data back to the clients for them to be drawn on screen.

I'm sorry if this isn't detailed enough for you, but i'm rushing around trying to get the kids ready for school.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
zydeoN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hum ok thanks right away... i guess i will have to learn first on darknet. Isn't MikeNet free?
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 13:34
You can use a character and animation-driven first person experience, if you want. I don't agree that draw-view models are the be-all-and-end-all FPS solution.

But there's a catch. If you use an animation-driven solution where you place a camera in the head and walk using animations of the same model, it won't behave like Unreal or Half-Life 2. It will feel sluggish and unresponsive.

So either you build a slower and more deliberate gameplay around this "sluggishness" or you adapt to the draw-view model where you can only see your gun, plastered to the screen.

Personally, I prefer the animation-driven method, because it provides a little thing called immersion.

Anyway. Those are my $.02.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 13:57
I don't know why there would be any speed difference between the two methods.

My problem with using a whole model is that the minimum camera draw distance caused unwanted graphical problems.

I use the model pack 10 hand/weapon models as they are very high detail and very well animated.

zydeoN
Years of Service
User Offline
So, and where can i get MikeNet ?
cleonjones
Years of Service
User Offline
It's called DarkNet I think, it's not free though

http://www.darknetworking.com/

?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:41:43