Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / HELP! if you wouldn't mind :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all,

I\'m trying to find out information on this industry and whether There is a gap for me in it
I\'m in my second year of my Fine Art Degree.
I\'ve always been a game player, whether console, PC, Web.

I just want to know whether a fine art degree is a good degree to have for this industry and how people get started in it.

Thanks
Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 08:49
The beautiful thing about this kind of industry is that there is pretty much always room for more people to join in.

I wouldn't say there are specific requirements to get into the industry, due to the myriad of types/styles out there. There are people here, as well as other places, who are still in high school and are already putting their foot in this industry. Though degree's are not necessarily required, it definitely helps to have an education in there to produce a better product.

Many people get started in this industry by taking a leap and showing what their made of. If you are looking for a place to take that leap, this is definitely one of those kind of places. There are a lot of people just starting out, as well as people with some great experience helping out.

I am not smart. I am not powerful. I am just a guy. I am strengthened through my faith.
roxherbert
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the help
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You mean a games company right? Not sure what conversation is going on here. Most likely C++ is the thing to learn for game companies, and 3D modelling, animation. Photoshop is all too common really.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 05:26
Quote: "Photoshop is all too common really."

Go to the FPSC boards and see what EAI can do with 'all too common photoshop'
Its amazing

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 05:27
I was wondering the other day: what percentage of programming jobs are in the games industry? I'd guess it's less than 1%
OK fine art is not programming but still.

TGC Forum - converting error messages into sarcasm since 2002.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you missed the figure by miles.

I always had it as at least 60/40 to programming.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 12:23
Theres always plenty of room for artists in the games industry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:26:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:26:26