Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Basic Classic is about to prove itself superior to all other game creator products

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Remarks about dbc dwindling and the lack of posting are to be expected as everyone rushed off to embrace fps creator 9 and 10.
My only comment on this is that despite being a good idea in theory the graphic demands of not just the new windows system but the software itself leave very little for game building.
Game creation has moved on from segments to prefabs to at last complete levels ready to drop into the game.
See Turbosquid See 3drt See many others...
Unfortunately these new levels of 10000 to 20000 polygons are too large for fps creator and even dp pro struggles to load them.
DB Classic however took not just one city but four and still has the capability to run a third person tank and twenty enemy tanks.
That's the ability to create a mini Stalingrad tank epic!
Running on XP with a 100mb graphics card and 500mb ram.
Dark Basic Classic has always been a superior yet much under-rated product but now it shows itself much more suited to the new full level game scenarios. Everything from full arab towns to skyscraper cities will fit into dbc.
Everything from day scenes to night scenes to devasted city scenes are all pre lit and added to the textures already.

mpc

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Is the picture DB Classic? Or are you just saying that it's possible? I need more proof.

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
I will show you proof
But meantime heres more pics of full game levels

mpc

Attachments

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
here's 2

mpc

Attachments

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
here's 3

mpc

Attachments

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
here's 4

mpc

Attachments

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
The three 3drt pics of the city are the exact same level only with different textures day, night, post-apocalpse.

I am completeing a dbc level at the moment and will post it this week as a demonstration of dbc's ability to hold big levels

mpc
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 21:22
But those are using Shockwave, not DBC.

You would need to post some proof that DBC can handle this stuff better than DBPro - for one thing DBPro now has LOD, which tends to make all the difference in these situations. We can compare them though with just pure polygon processing.

So lets do a test, just cubes, how many cubes can DBC show in 30fps and how many can DBPro...

In DBPro I get about 2500 (30,000 polys)
And in DBC I get about 4000 (48,000 polys)

With a 256x256 texture applied I get the same results.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 21:25
So, DBC can handle 18,000 more polys than DBPro? If so, that's pretty dang awesome!

Click the pic:
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 21:55 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2009 22:04
those pics are not db. db doesn't support mipmapping...
they are renders from the 3d model website, not db, much less yours.

Quote: "Unfortunately these new levels of 10000 to 20000 polygons are too large for fps creator and even dp pro struggles to load them.
DB Classic however took not just one city but four and still has the capability to run a third person tank and twenty enemy tanks."

what are you trying to say?

but yes, it might still be able to do more cubes, although in a real situation it would not be just polygon power, but also all the calculations.

forever loading...
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 03:14
Quote: "Quote: "Unfortunately these new levels of 10000 to 20000 polygons are too large for fps creator and even dp pro struggles to load them.
DB Classic however took not just one city but four and still has the capability to run a third person tank and twenty enemy tanks."
what are you trying to say?"

well, i'm confused, does any of this apply to db,or dbpro? cause i swear i heard shockwave....

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 06:48
These pictures have www.3drt.com on them and are part for the MegaCity package. His pic #3 is the same as http://3drt.com/3dm/levels/urban_set/08-Urban-level-3D-cityscape-skyscrapers-08.jpg

These don't have anything to do with DB, unless he got the .X model and loaded it into DBC. At which point, his frame rates would probably be less than 1 anyway.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
ignore, this guy's just a troll.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "db doesn't support mipmapping..."

Actually it does:

Not sure why there is agression towards Medusa; at least that seems so in a few posts.

At any rate Medusa's plan is:

Quote: "I am completeing a dbc level at the moment and will post it this week as a demonstration of dbc's ability to hold big levels"

So we'll see what happens.

Enjoy your day.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 15:46
Remember that the test I did would only be an effective test of pure engine speed, not DBC or DBPro. If you account for actual executable speed then DBPro would do a better job, and look better at that sort of engine. If you took a cityscape like that and used LOD, or Kaedorinos (spelling?) LOD plugin, then you could get that into DBPro effectively.

I took a 2D project I was working on in DBC on my laptop and converted it to DBPro, and that confirmed to me that DBPro has much moore ooomph to it (ooomph is a technical term meaning win).

The major drag with DBC for me though is the lack of alpha transparency - the major benefit with DBC is the ability to detect collisions with sprites.

I see DBC as a great option for games that you'd want to run on anything, like a casual game - puzzles, bejeweled, that sort of thing. It's a great language still, and still has it's place, and it just runs incredibly on modern PC's. But it's just lacking a few things that DBPro does so well. It's really a junction language - because I think that once you master it, there's a few great options to expand. Theres PlayBasic if you want more features but prefer 2D, then theres DBPro for more 3D and visual power, and if you want to take a big leap, there's 2D development on other platforms like iPhone, GP2X, DS. Not that anyone needs to move languages if they are getting the results they need, I just know how much DBC taught me about game dev and let me get some actual results.

Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 20:22
Quote: "(ooomph is a technical term meaning win)."

heehee. I will remember to use that proper terminology in my future projects.

Quote: "I see DBC as a great option for games that you'd want to run on anything, like a casual game - puzzles, bejeweled, that sort of thing. It's a great language still, and still has it's place, and it just runs incredibly on modern PC's. But it's just lacking a few things that DBPro does so well. It's really a junction language - because I think that once you master it, there's a few great options to expand. Theres PlayBasic if you want more features but prefer 2D, then theres DBPro for more 3D and visual power, and if you want to take a big leap, there's 2D development on other platforms like iPhone, GP2X, DS. Not that anyone needs to move languages if they are getting the results they need, I just know how much DBC taught me about game dev and let me get some actual results."

That's actually very helpful to me, Van B! I've been reading along, and I was starting to wonder why DBC would be included in DarkGame Studio when it has DBPro. I figured that there were probably different things you could do with it, but I didn't know what they were because I'm new. I will have to play around with both to see what will work best for my projects.

Your error is my treasure. =^--^=
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to get a good reaction from the serious game programmers, the other usual sad lot of critics that never contribute anything other than hot air I shall just ignore.
Firstly, my statement as confirmed by the staff at 3drt are that the city levels shown are between 10,000 and twenty thousand polygons.
Van B confirms that dbc can render 48,000 polygons. 18,000 more than dbpro. Fact then: dbc can hold more and twice as many as the required twenty thousand leaving half for in game models.
Yes dbpro can look and perform better but sacrifices more processing power in order to do it.
DBC being more basic is doing less work and therefore freeing up more usable processing. Swings and roundabouts.
Dark Dragon "shockwave" only used to show the level to customers.
Just as fpsc appears on youtube etc.
Phaelax "frame rates" read what Van B is saying.
thenerd "all the calculations" what calculations?
Latch "we'll see what happens" exactly.
If 'thenerd' means what I think which is putting in collision for every building I seriously have to ask why?
You don't slide along the walls of your own house just to make sure it's got collision. When I am driving I don't slam into walls and buildings to check if they're real. The idea of large complete levels is for scenery to compliment the game taking place within it.
But should you want collision on buildings you already have the code for that from lee bamber in his first tank demo. The buildings just have to be taken in their groups and assigned a SIZE for their collision box.
Damaged building can be taken in the same way and use the HIDE command.
When you call to the group to destroy the good building you just SHOW the damaged building already hidden in the same spot.
The processing when using the 'pythagorus' triangle thing and a group is instant.
To get back to my point which is using complete levels for scenery I have downloaded a free untextured Metro city from Turbosquid.
I took out the overhead train track as I just wanted the buildings.
Their are pavements and traffic light hangers.
I've multiplied the city four times to give an idea of extent and used one texture each for buildings, pavements and ground.
The vehicle is my own 3ds model used in my alienware competition entry 'OUTPOST'
My next version will be the city with tanks...very soon
Look at the basic demo and feel free to make constructive comment or questions.

mpc

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 21:06
Whoa. Will download when I get the time....

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 22:11 Edited at: 25th Oct 2009 22:27
Quote: "The processing when using the 'pythagorus' triangle thing and a group is instant."

Actually, Pythagoras is probably the slowest calculation you can do, because it contains a square root calculation. And I don't like the sound of using collision boxes... It sounds too... noobish, shall we say.

I'll give your program a go though, and I'll let you know what I think about it.

EDIT : Alright, I tried it. I underestimated your work, congratulations! Very nice textures of the building! Did you do them yourself?

Can you please add the following code right under the "do" of your main loop?

Another tip to do with Pythagoras. Instead of pulling the square root, just multiply the value you want to check by itself. So instead of:

if c>sqrt(a²+b²)

you can do this:

if c²>a²+b²

And to make things faster, a^2 is 7 times slower than a*a.

Also, check out sparky's collision DLL. Just enter "collision DLL" into the search box, and you'll be sure to find it.

Good luck!

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 01:46
ok, Medusa, i'm sorry. I was sort of jumping the gun, saying dbpro was automatically better. although it is older, you can still produce some great things with it, including what you are doing. nice demo!

get the actual textures in it, and it will look awesome!

forever loading...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 03:21
phaelax, pincho paxton, thenerd, neuro fuzzy, yodaman jer, demons breath and medusa.
Why the sudden return to the DBC board?
I'm not complaining it just seems odd that you've all showed up within a fortnight of each other.

back on topic
DBC isn't more powerful, of course it isn't, I think TGC would have noticed and scrapped DBP if it was.
I kind of like being the minority, we are the Ghetto of the TCG forums
I do sometimes wish I could play around with DBPs extra features but I'm still finding new stuff about DBC and I think it can be too easy, DBC is quite easy to learn but it's hard to get the most out of it, this makes you have to think about how you write your code, you can't just slap it together in DBC and expect it to work (above 5 FPS anyway).

TGC Forum - converting error messages into sarcasm since 2002.
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 05:22
I turned up again basically because my course (1st year of maths) has a lot of coursework and just procrastinating on facebook doesn't cut the mustard - it's not time consuming enough. Other recent achievements include rereading most of cyanide and happiness along with several other webcomics, and I just downloaded DarkGDK today but I'm going to learn to do everything in that as well (I know a lot of commands are similar to DarkBASIC but it sounds interesting). Talking of which, it's almost half 3, I have to be up at half 7, I have coursework in tomorrow I've done about a quarter of, and I'm on here and watching south park

And I think even if it's more limited, people come up with some decent solutions. It's not hard to get the basics going so it's easy to knock up something simple, and then gradually improve. Obviously the same thing probably applies with DBP, but I just like DBC.

"A West Texas girl, just like me"
-Bush
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 05:48
I have said this before. my favorite part is the getting around the hard stuff. like a slow command. then you recreate it, but if the command is already fast then wheres the fun in that? or isn't it more fun to create your own gradient box then just call the command that does it it's self. that is my oppinion.

New Site! Check it out \/
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 20:12
@OBese87:

I'm always around, I just hardly ever post. I like to see what people are doing with DBC these days. And I still read TDK's tutorials from time to time, to make sure I have the knowledge truly stored in my brain. In fact, I might go read a couple right now...

@Medusa:

Pretty good example! It was running slow on my system, but my system is fairly outdated. I think you should turn the lights up in that demo though, it was too dark to really see anything. Other than that, the control for the tank was outstanding! If you could turn this into a nice tank game, I would totally play it for hours.

This message was brought to you by
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 20:51
Obese: I'm always in the dbpro board...

forever loading...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 01:36
Quote: "Obese: I'm always in the dbpro board..."

Oh, I rarely venture out past this board. I hear tales of trolls, flames and locked threads. It's much safer here in the shire... wtf?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 02:29 Edited at: 27th Oct 2009 02:37
I've only had DBPro for about 2 weeks. I'm much happier with DBC at the moment. So I spend a lot of time in this forum. But gradually using DBPro more.

I can't run the demo at all. I just get a crash.. Send / Don't send report.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 14:14
Quote: "I can't run the demo at all. I just get a crash.. Send / Don't send report"

As you couldn't run my DBC demo without problems either, it looks like you may have a problem with your system. It sounds like a DirectX problem, but as you are using DBP OK, you should be OK for DBC. Strange...

@Medusa:

I also agree that it's a little dark and you can't really see what's there.

TDK

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to see genuine interest in dbc
Level was intentionally dark for artistic reasons
Looked at it again and probably too dark - will lighten it
It's meant to be a post flood rotten fungus type theme
The vehicle used is just a military platform type
The idea was to add a seperate cab and either large gun or multiple mortar 'stalins organs'
A proper test would be to add lots of street lights plus wires and also things like phone boxes, mail boxes, hydrants etc.
All of course in the same defunct rotten condition.
I have a disused railway with rolling stock somewhere that I could add.
I suppose that the more I add the more it will help to prove my point i.e. giant prebuilt levels for scenery.
I personally would rather have a whole city to play in with no collision than a couple of rooms with cutting edge collision.
As for Pincho Paxtons demo not working - Along with the xp machine I use now I also have a vista machine that refuses to run the db exes
It refers to missing 3d.dll
That said I will definitely complete the demo using the tank from Darkmatter with of course moving track, wheels turning, gun recoil and fully controlled motorised turret.
As for frame rates 30fps not only conserves your engines power for better things but ensures that the game runs and looks normal on all machines - my opinion only.

mpc
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 18:23
Quote: "Nice to see genuine interest in dbc"

Yep - there's still a small, but enthusiastic hardcore of DBC users who prefer the challenge of using an inferior product!

TDK

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2009 01:36
Quote: "who prefer the challenge of using an inferior product!
"

HAHA!

New Site! Check it out \/
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As you couldn't run my DBC demo without problems either, it looks like you may have a problem with your system. It sounds like a DirectX problem, but as you are using DBP OK, you should be OK for DBC. Strange...
"

All of my DBC programs work, and I have probably 100 of them. I'm probably running out of memory with 1gb, or the screen resolution is not on my system.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2009 13:53
Quote: "or the screen resolution is not on my system"

That's a possibility I suppose. My demo uses 1024x768x32 so if you set one of your programs to that mode and it runs OK, we can rule out screen resolution as a cause.

The trouble is that it can be one of a thousand things causing the problem...

TDK

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK MOD. 'inferior product'
Horses for courses really, if I am proved right then dbc is the only db product that will run large pre made levels but that doesn't then make it superior just different.
For example, Despite the fact that I've been introduced to lots of matrix editors I still believe that Matedit, pre windows version that is, was the best ever and find it unbelievable it was never taken to the next level as a game editor.
It should have been, maybe still could be.
As for my 'experiment' I now have:
292 buildings
292 pavements
1168 lamposts
2336 telegraph/phone wires between lamposts.
More still to add...

mpc
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2009 22:50 Edited at: 28th Oct 2009 22:55
Quote: "if I am proved right then dbc is the only db product that will run large pre made levels but that doesn't then make it superior just different."

I'm not suggesting DBC is superior. I'm saying that DBC is inferior.

They took DBC, gave it a faster 'engine', more commands and many new features. It's therefore an improved DBC.

Obviously, the overhead of all the new bells and whistles have an effect on the framerate with high poly counts.

Maybe a bad analogy:

Car 1 is two years old and does 0-100 mph in 8 seconds with a top speed of 180 mph. It has AC, ABS, electric windows and power steering.

Car 2 is ten years old, has none of the features car 1 has, but has a top speed of 220 mph. However, it takes 2 minutes to reach it!

Car 1 (DBP) is still superior despite the lower top speed.

That must make me (and most other DBC users) like classic car owners who love tinkering and trying to get the most out of our vintage cars!

Maybe we should start the official DBCOC - the Dark Basic Classic Owners Club.

TDK

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK MOD
Still say that Dark Basic does not 'sell' inferior products only different products.

mpc
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 02:28
Ah OK...

TDK

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That's a possibility I suppose. My demo uses 1024x768x32 so if you set one of your programs to that mode and it runs OK, we can rule out screen resolution as a cause.

The trouble is that it can be one of a thousand things causing the problem...

TDK"

Well that res is fine. Must have hit the 1gb limit.

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK MOD 'car anology'
Slight misunderstanding here
Yes dbpro can render and run one man and his dog better than dbc.
My original post however is not based on the two engines running the same level but on which of the two engines has the ability to take in the most polygons. And therefore take in the new modern designed complete levels mostly between 10 and twenty thousand polygons with some at thirty thousand.
Quote: VAN B MOD - DBC 48000 DBPRO 30000
Therefore if the level is too big for DBPRO and only fits into DBC then we really have a one horse race and it becomes pointless saying how much better DBPRO could run the level compared to DBC as it can't even hold the level in the first place.
The proper analogy would be the old DBC tour bus that holds 48 passengers and reaches it's destination versus the new luxury DBPRO tour bus that only has room for 30 passengers and has to cancel the tour. Small comfort the AC, ABS, electric windows and power steering would be then.
Most people given the choice between a tractor and a sports car would choose the sports car - until you get stuck in the mud and then you'll wish you had a tractor.
I hope you can see now why I said 'horses for courses' as dbc is the only db product with the ability to host these new levels.
One person mentioned the drawback of putting a large x file into a level but I have no doubt that the people making these levels will split it up as even I have done with all the buildings in one x file and then all the lamposts in another and so on. Coming from the same editor e.g. Deled - each group of objects would place itself exactly in the same spot as before. Meaning that if you had to move your first group in dbc 5000,150,3500 to place it where you want the city or battlefield then all you do is place each subsequent group at the same coordinates to match everything up.
I have no doubt that there will be a lot of purists that recoil at the thought of level objects with no collision but it's merely the evolution of game scenery, first you had sky boxes with just sky and now they contain elements of the scene, buildings etc.
Let's call it 'DARK THEATRE' where you can now surround yourself with masses of scenery merely to compliment the game.
I can predict it will be the next big thing in games.

mpc
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 22:02
Medusa, don't quote me then completely ignore everything else I said!

I have used both extensively and know for a fact that DBPro is far more capable at a project that size, in the long run. There's the possibility of using automatic LOD's, and the game logic itself would run better, collision, AI, everything.

If the project was very straightforward, say for example the classic Spectrum game Lotus Esprit, that was the inspiration for GTA, it was a fairly straightforward grid system, so collision and movement were limited. If you limited a game in the same way, then you could do it well in DBC. However, the minute you want to push it to the next level, with physics, graphical effects beyond GHOST OBJECT, and shaders - well there's no other logical option but DBPro. Depends on the project, but personally I'd love to see a remake of Lotus Esprit, or a game like it - a no-brainer GTA game, maybe more strategic (roadblocks for instance - trying to trap target cars by coordinating the police). That sort of thing.

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
VAN B MOD don't quote me then completely ignore everything else I said!
I actually agreed with everything you said.
I even came right out and said that for the same size level that is capable of fitting in both engines dbpro will be better.
The only point I stress is polygons, nothing more nothing less.
If dbpro can take the same number of polygons as dbc then I will immediately change to dbpro.
There really is no argument here just the reality that whilst dbpro can perform better than dbc it cannot take in as many polgons.
To repeat what I said to TDK MOD I fail to see why I should be impressed by what dbpro could do if only it could load the level in the first place.
Lods, logic, collision, AI and everything else only apply if you can load the level otherwise to quote them as a plus is just absurd.
The simple question still is which of the two engines can load the larger level?
DBC or DBPRO

mpc
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 23:10
DBP is superior. You just have to know how to use it. It may be slower with polygons, but it is a hell lot faster with maths, collision, sprites, and 2D effects. And don't forget lighting and mipmapping. Great things... Plus all of these plugins users write on the forum make it better and better.

By using LOD, you can stuff in bigger maps than in GTA4 and it will run flawlessly. (<-- may be exaggerating).

Also, I think I recall DBP handling huge textures on objects better than in DBC.

TheComet

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
All I really wanted was an informed person to hold up their hands and say 'yes' dbc has the ability to hold more polygons than dbpro and therefore the ability to load bigger levels...end of story.
What I have learned from various postings to date is that despite there being a dark basic discussion forum the support it receives is actually nil.
Most replies either start or end with the advice to switch to dbpro.
How can I put this delicately without offending every dbpro user on the forum?
DBPRO is a professional engine 'note the term professional'
Lee Bamber and his team of professionals are able to use it to produce professional results...
Mostly everyone else is using it to run the same stuff they were running on dbc.
Where are all the big professional looking games?
One person, any one at all, show me something really fantastic that you made on dbpro demonstrating all these fancy lods, mipmaps and ai. Let me see a great example of it's shadows and physics and all the rest. First person shooter or third, any one of these will do.
Otherwise all that exists are the same terrible demos that emerged at the start of dbc concerning how to take the square root of a round cabbage and evolve it into a complete turkey.
I have no doubt that either everything will fall silent or I'll get a multitude of hate posts but it would be great if just one person would rise to the challenge.
Dark Basic discussion will eventually have to be changed to Dark Basic Pro discussion as most people seem to be ashamed of allying themselves to dbc while a certain snobbish arrogance exits that merely owning dbpro automatically makes you a more experienced programmer.
I had a science kit when I was six year old but that doesn't make me a scientist.

mpc
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 23:34
This is some of Evolveds work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlZmyBsA88g

There are dozens of examples of DBPro's capabilities, why not look for them, maybe check the program announcement and WIP section.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 00:52
room wars. enough said. that game RULES!

forever loading...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 00:53
Mike Inel makes awesome games. I'd like to show you Tower of Illusion, but it was banned some time ago due to the famous cut scene...

Quote: "All I really wanted was an informed person to hold up their hands and say 'yes' dbc has the ability to hold more polygons than dbpro and therefore the ability to load bigger levels...end of story."

Wrong. DBP has the ability to load much bigger levels. You don't read my posts, do you?

Quote: "Where are all the big professional looking games?"

Instead of criticizing users of not making professional looking games, why don't you try it? Only the least games even make it to the forum. You need a huge amount of concentration and focus to even make a game look OK. I only know of 5 games on this forum that look professional.

I must admit, with an exception of Mike Inel, I have seen much better games made with DBC than with DBP.

TheComet

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 01:39
Quote: "despite there being a dark basic discussion forum the support it receives is actually nil."

Not quite, we just know that DBP is superior, we all still support DBC.

Medusa, you should check out the Dark Basic Pros thread, if you want to prove that DBC can make games just as well as DBP can you should join in.

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
As I said more physics 'demos' but no finished complete first or third person shooters.
As for which engine can 'load' the most polygons in one go
And probably run the most polygons
The 292 lamposts and 584 attached telegraph/telephone wires were taken into dbc in one load and they have a 128,250 polygon count.
This same x file was multiplied 4 times to create 1168 posts and 2336 wires - over half a million polygons. The city itself being basically textured cubes was an x file of 5000 polygons similarly multiplied by 4 to increase size and thus 20,000 polygons.
So far dbc can load as much as 128,250 polygons in one go and seems able to display more than half a million. No doubt more!
It's ability as stated by Lee Bamber to store up to sixty thousand objects hints that it can probably take even more polygons in one load than I have tried so far.

mpc
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 18:05 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 22:17
Quote: "As I said more physics 'demos' but no finished complete first or third person shooters."

Well you might have a point, except how many complete first person shooters have been created with DBC ?

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Medusa
It's great that DBC can hold so many polygons, no doubt has a lot to do with the computer and graphics card you are using, and the screen depth and resolution.

But I think you are catching slack in a few posts because of the title of your topic and some of the ways you stated your discoveries:

Quote: "Dark Basic Classic is about to prove itself superior to all other game creator products"

Since the tern "superior" is subjective, you are going to get combative responses. In all fairness, a high polygon count isn't the end of the story in terms of all around performance and display. If your only goal is to demonstrate that DBC can handle more polygons than DBPro for a particular model or set of models, then perhaps the title of the thread should have stated that.

Enjoy your day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 10:36:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 10:36:58