Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DarkGDK] 3D Pathfinder

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2009 01:31 Edited at: 26th Oct 2009 15:57
I posted this same thread in the DarkGDK forum awhile ago looking for feedback, but its gotten only a few responses there so I thought I would try the WIP forum. Basically It's just what the title says, a 3D pathfinder for DarkGDK that projects object's onto the XZ-Plane and generates a node network to be used with the A* algorithm. Feedback or testing would be great and much appreciated.

Current Version: V1.2
- Revamped the debug system. Now uses cloggy's 3d line drawing program and updates debug images in real-time with negligible lag
- Fixed several floating point precision problems that resulted in improper path calculations along polygon boundaries
- Rewrote and created 4 new example programs (modeled off the DarkAI plugin example program) that demonstrate different program features
- Optimization of internal geometry functions

DOWNLOAD

V1.1 Updates:
- Added a getValidLocation function to validate a point inside a polygon and enable sliding collision for objects travelling along sharp edges.
- Added an overloaded function updateObjectConvexFrame( int object, float low, float high ) that generates a bounding polygon for the region from low to high.
- Fixed the bug in the private function AstarFind that resulted in longer than required paths

Note: The GPC addons have been phased out because of implementation issues. As a result, non-convex frames cannot be generated. This feature will be reimplemented later using my own algorithm.

Below is a list of general features and the status:

= done with no extensive testing or nearly complete
= in progress
= haven't begun
= phased out

polygon projection for objects
support for different object FVF types
user specifiable polygons for objects
non-object linked polygons allowed
polygon for object based on convex hull polygon
waypoint generation from object's polygon frames
waypoint viability checking
inter-waypoint mapping
waypoint optimization
( removal of illogical connections )
Pathfinding algorithm ( working great )
multiple radius grid generation
force start/target point out of polygon
( Doesn't work with overlapped polygons )
specifiable height range to check for collision
with objects ( convex only )
forced basic polygon frames
( ie. set frame to box/circle/ellipse)
automatic input polygon direction detection
( cw obstacles / ccw bound )
non-convex polygon generation
inclusion of multiple polygons for single objects
user level manipulation/addition of map points
ability to include object limbs in frame generation
generate convex hull for clusters of objects
setup binary heap for pathfinder's sorted list
gpc implementation

Download:
The OFFICIAL V1.2 download is available below. From this point, any subsequent release of V1.x will be compatible with the original V1.0 release. To use the pathfinder in your own projects, you must include the pathfinding.h header file as demonstrated in the example. The program has had no extensive testing and is not guaranteed to work as intended on other systems.

Reported Bugs:
Entities following a path along a bounding polygon edge are recognized as inside the polygon, as such attempts to find paths result in longer than required paths or a null return route.
Collinear vertex removal fails to remove certain vertices
When finding a path along a polygon boundary the entity recognizes the target node as visible

Screenshots:

"Real-Time Debug Display"

"Individual Object Display"

"Multiple Radius Grids"

"Height Range Clipping"

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
I give up. Where is the download?

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 15:54
O, sorry about that I forgot to post the link from the other thread...

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 21:26 Edited at: 26th Oct 2009 21:27
Thanks so much for posting this with source code. I've really wanted to play with something like this.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 19:17
Very very cool! It was very easy to set up, and is fast! It's makes me sad though, knowing that someone makes something great like this and it hardly gets any attention Well keep up the great work! Oh and do you mind if I use this in a non commercial game, with credit of course.

Your bedtime story is scaring everyone
If found my very own Fail!: http://cheezburger.com/View.aspx?aid=2712171776
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 05:25
Sure, it's free for use but its not really high quality. More of a demonstration of pathfinding principles / possibilities.

Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Just curious are you still working on this, will there be anymore revisions to it that you are going to be releasing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:25:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:25:57