Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noobs Project 4: Mario Bros.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest I haven't done anything with this project since the last time I updated. I was hoping to get your platform codes befor I start adjusting anything.
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 03:11 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 03:14
Sorry, I forgot about the emitting code. MW2 came out and school I just did'nt think about it.

@About the code
Well, I know how I want to do it. The problem is I don't know how customizeable you guys want it. Do you want the enemys to come out in a pattern or with their own stated time?

I don't think I'm learning to much by doing these little parts of code. It would be more helpful if you could explain to me by REMSTART and REMENDing a section in the code on how you got some code working or collision, how you got the enemys to move about.

Quote: "Well here's what I got so far. Use the directional arrow keys, Left/right to walk and Up to jump. I dont have gravity working as it's just the animation frames I'm working on. "

Quote: "I've got the platforms working! They can work with two tile images as well."

I would love to know how to do these things if it's not too much troble.

(And where can I download these things and try them out?)

Razerx
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 03:23
Quote: "I don't think I'm learning to much by doing these little parts of code. It would be more helpful if you could explain to me by REMSTART and REMENDing a section in the code on how you got some code working or collision, how you got the enemys to move about."

Exept you just said(in the last paragraph) you didn't know how to do something. which means in figuring out how to do that you will have learned Haha

New Site! Check it out \/
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 03:53
I was talking about the code that the experianced programmers do. I do learn from the parts I do but what's the point of knowing how to make 10% of a game?

Quote: "Quote: "Well here's what I got so far. Use the directional arrow keys, Left/right to walk and Up to jump. I dont have gravity working as it's just the animation frames I'm working on. "

Quote: "I've got the platforms working! They can work with two tile images as well.""

These things are done and I have no idea how. Since I'm not able to do all the coding(since this is a team thing) I would like to have a little paragraph on how the rest of the game was done.Thanks

Razerx
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 04:35
i see what you're saying razer, I'll put a lot of comments in my code.

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 05:12
Look over the code. ask questions! This is a place of learning, there should be questions overflowing if there is something you don't understand. So for instance you say you don't understand that, well what do you not understand? Post up here and ask. surely the person who made it should be able to answer the question.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 06:50
caleb makes a good point, that's basically the purpose of the forums

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 09:47 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 09:48
Hey guys...

Jeku over in Geek Culture got syntax highlighting to work! To use it, you simple highlight all of your code, click the code tags button, and in the first code tag (the one that doesn't close the block of code with [ /code]), overwrite "code" with "code lang=dbp".

Here's an example

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

-CoffeeCoder

Formerly known as Yodaman Jer
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 15:33 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 15:41
Kinda off topic but awesome! lol

i'm going to try it

aw doesn't work with dbc we can use dbp highlighting here since all the commands in dbc are in dbp i think. lol

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 18:35 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 20:21
use [*code lang=dbp][*/code]

- Link102
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 19:43
I was saying it doesn't work thie {code lang=dbc} (replace the {} with the other brackets)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 06:49
Quote: "Kinda off topic but awesome!"

Yeah, I know it's random, lol. I just wanted to share that with everyone, since it will make both this project and future projects easier.

C#? Yes, please!
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2009 06:46 Edited at: 26th Nov 2009 06:49
Quote: "ask questions!"

Why did I not think of that.

My unknowns are collision, AI, memblocks, and all 3d.
So, how are we going to do platform collision? The only way I have done it is by haveing a off screen sprite/bitmap and if there's sprite collision then playerX=oldx playerY=oldy.

And where is the download for what we've got so far?

Razerx
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And where is the download for what we've got so far?"

Yeah I'm waiting for that too.
Swampert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2009 20:20
Just saw your other thread about the team. I'd love to help out. I'm not a beginner at programming but surprisingly, going from C++ to DarkBASIC isn't a 1-step procedure ( I won't go into many details ). But I think helping out with this project would be just what I need to boost my skills and share knowledge that I have. I'm in.

GDA - Game Developers Anonymous - Get in touch with your creative side.

Yeah I like Pokemon... so what?
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 01:55
Sorry i literally haven't had time to upload anything let alone work on it.

@swampert
your help would be great, I can't think what job you could do now but if you can think of something feel free to post your code.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps we can just use what we already have. Phaelax posted a usable platform code, maybe we can just stick to that? I would like to keep this project rolling and finish it.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 16:14
Just ask me if anyone needs further comments or explanations in my code.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Well what does everybody think, should we just go ahead with this idea and use phaelax's codes?
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 01:41
As an uninvolved observer, I vote yes, because I'd hate to see this project die as well, and it's slowing to a crawl as it is. Momentum, people...

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 03:35
I've been busy recently so have had a lot of time to do this, but now I'm back and continuing with this project.
I've got some time off tomorrow so I can get down to the library and upload my code.
I'll have a think about what we should do next and get back to you.

@Ashingda
For the time being do what you can with phaelax's code. Could you have a go at writing the basic engine with controls i.e. able to move mario around and jump onto platforms and accounting for gravity.

@Razer
If you're around could you write the code for the enemy movement. They just go in a straight line until they hit another and turn around.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 20:42
Here's the platform code...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DSboy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a code that can scan the sprite image

NCIS fan, techiie, geek, kickbutt programmer
choose any word you like
IT'S ALL ME
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 03:05 Edited at: 4th Dec 2009 03:06
Ok now that the road's been cleared out lets get this thing rolling! My personal project is taking alot of my time but I'll do my best to juggle both.

@Obese
Dude that's awsome! I'll get the controls working asap.

@Dsboy
Hey there, if you're looking to join the team then make it clear so I can add you to the code.

I'm going to set the default screen size to 640x480 fullscreen. If anyone disagree and wants it bigger just say it so .
DSboy
Years of Service
User Offline
K i'd be glad to join

p.s. this is a great forum can we get it to be a sticky

NCIS fan, techiie, geek, kickbutt programmer
choose any word you like
IT'S ALL ME
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 00:46
this thread is just for one project but maybe a mod would be kind enough to stickie the noobs wanted thread

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
So why are you guys stalling? This one doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to complete. I think the first game you guys completed was more complex.

Why aren't you working on this? Get it done, and don't make up an excuse why you didn't do such and such. Find 1 hour in one day to make a graphic, or a menu item, code it and post it. Just move forward.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2009 14:35
Sorry Latch lol
I'm not going to be on much until 4th January so I'll wish you all a Merry Christmas and see you in the new year.

I'm setting a deadline on this project for 5th February 2010
That gives us a month to get it finished.

My PC is finally back on the internet (wooooooop!) so I'll be much more productive in the new year.

@Ashingda
I've gone through your code and made a few editions a bit (hope you don't mind). It's pretty good and I like how you've made a structure that allows for further actions to be added.

I'm wondering whether we should make the sliding to a stop a separate action or just leave it to come on when walking stops.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sorry Latch lol"

I don't mean to be coming off so rough, it's just that it would be a shame if you guys don't finish this project.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 05:23
@Latch
it's ok, you have a point.
I hope people come back to help after new years

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 16:09
I've offered help, nobody seemed interested. But this project isn't really for me or OBese, as we both could probably make this ourselves.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 21:09 Edited at: 30th Dec 2009 21:12
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but you can play the original game at VirtualNES here: http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-MA&s=0. The controls are in the corner of the page. The site has a bunch of other NES games. It is legal because you play it in the web browser, and the guy owns all of the cartridges in their headquarters. You will need Java.

Good luck on the project!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 12:10
64,400 is my top score
thanks sinani.
there's a lot going on in this game.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 03:15
Holy crap I started this in late october!
Yes, we need to get a move on.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 05:11
I'd be glad to help. How much do you have done?

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hows this coming?

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 05:16 Edited at: 16th Jan 2010 05:16
ah i didnt see your post sinani
i will have a look at what you can do
i am quite busy tomorrow though

@Latch
Not so well, I will carry on and people can join in when they like

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 16:57
I'm starting a new project right now that might help you guys out, but I can still assist with this if anyone wants.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:10:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:10:59