Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / MetalMorphosis - My Indie Game Challenge entry, a 3rd person shooter

Author
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 19:09 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2009 19:27
cash, i sent an email after my last post here and registered on your forum, as well. did either get through? i've yet to receive the activation email from the forum. meanwhile, i've added my email address to the forums here.

and, i was going to draw attention to the same quote as van b. that line said it all, with the possible exception of the grenade vs armor malfunction glitch if it exists. posts like that are generally negative for the sake of being negative but sometimes have valid info that should be investigated.

anyway, check your inbox when you can.

add: i was able to recreate the bug re: "throw grenade" sequence stopping when armor malfunctions then picks up once i'm back on my feet. reminded me of the first grenade issue mentioned where you were tracking the mousex movement while grenades were being tossed and the camera adjusted left/right when the sequence was complete. easy enough to fix, right?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 22:11 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2009 22:12
Quote: "yet he seems to see these things as almost inexcusable"

That's really what puzzled me. He brought up some valid points but he was so extreme that it undermined the useful points he brought up. Criticizing the game for taking 200mb of RAM was ridiculous, among other things. I think that my planets don't look half bad. I'll improve them with a shader for atmosphere instead of the ghosted plain I'm using now but they aren't bad.

I'm really surprised that he didn't like the destructible walls (and lightmapped!), enemies, and items. I was quite please with all of that.

If a game isn't fun then it really doesn't matter what constitutes it. However, he hated it from the start, from the video. An indie game should be cut some slack. Still has to be fun, but comparing it directly to professional games doesn't provide anything useful.

Quote: "these so-called pro's"

They're mostly guys who dream big and don't finish games.

His feedback was useful in a way. It gave me reason to reevaluate some aspects of the game. He just went about it in a horrible way.

I hate Gamedev.net. I'm not posting there again. I won't say that there because I'll sound like a whiny ass and nobody will care. No big deal, I'll get everything I need from here.

@Virtual Nomad -
I just replied to your email. Oddly I didn't get one from the forum. I'll investigate it. It could definitely be useful for some
collaboration.

Quote: "posts like that are generally negative for the sake of being negative but sometimes have valid info that should be investigated"

That's why I wasn't rude to him. I defended various points and conceded to others. I just wish he'd emailed me rather than posting it there. It kind of ruined the whole thread.

I'll fix that grenade issue. That happened to me a while back but I forgot about it.

The AI is really important, it's at the top of my list. Bad AI is okay for robots and zombies but not for people. The random movement is really annoying, among other things.

I like the idea about improving the armor system. That will make the game more interesting, another element of strategy.

Fleshing out a real plot will help the game a lot too. I'm really interested in your ideas. I'm not too keen on changing the building's structure but anything inside of it can easily enough be altered. I have a few features I need to finish / add before this can really be done, but that's no big deal to do.

Thanks everybody, for your support and feedback!

Download the game!
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 23:32
Quote: "I hate Gamedev.net. I'm not posting there again."

Don't post there! They're nothing but a community of snobs that think they're 'it' and everything they do is the ultimate. Also did you mention that this was made in DBpro in your thread there? If you have that's what would attract all the negativity, for some really odd reason the hardcore Gamedev.net users really hate, and go out of there way to diss it, DBpro. Or any TGC product for that matter!

These guys obviously don't know a good game from a bad one, and I wouldn't worry about or take any of that guys comments seriously! It's a fantastic game Cash, and one well worth the BOTB medal that's coming soon.

You're one of this communities best programmers, and while this is one of the only projects I've actually had to play of yours, I have been keeping an eye on Geisha House, and that just proves your ability!

So keep up the good work, find other ways to advertise your game and give a serious that-word-that-starts-with-F you to Gamedev.net!

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 03:50
I would tend to agree to ignore much of what GameDev people say, but you should still try to seek truth in whatever idiotic package they may have delivered it with. It sounds like you have tried to do this, which is good.

Many people are idiots, and these idiots will try your game and see if they like it. So it's good to get an idea of what this demographic thinks.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 05:10
wow this is awesome

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 12:58
@Darth Vader -
I actually didn't mention that I use DBP. I feel disloyal, but I guess that's really not the focus, it's the game. I also didn't mention it in the press release. Geisha House attracted negativity from Gamedev.net before because I use DBP.

DBP allows me to do what I do, I enjoy using it. On day I'll move away from it, but I'll never abandon it completely.

Thanks DV for your support

Thanks everyone. I've definitely taken the truth from the Gamedev.net post. The Gamespot post was different, unfortunatly, and didn't contain any feedback. They didn't even play the game. Just amazing.

I've not stopped working on this.

Later!

Download the game!
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 18:42
Wow - just looked up the gamespot post. They're a generous bunch, always willing to give something the benefit of the doubt...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 23:14
It was worst than that. The missing post said that the game was horrid by today's standards. A couple other complaints but they didn't play the game.

Download the game!
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2009 00:46 Edited at: 8th Dec 2009 00:47
He's probably only ever played CoD:4. I hate when people compare an indie title with a million dollar budget game, just like that other guy said. It's just not fair!

EDIT:
Quote: "Thanks DV for your support"

Well I can't make them, so I support them.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2009 04:34
Cash did you do something special to get it on Gamespot? It's neat it can get a ranking and all that. If/when I ever finish my project I might have to put it up there, and let the flames begin.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 09:59
Quote: "Cash did you do something special to get it on Gamespot? It's neat it can get a ranking and all that. If/when I ever finish my project I might have to put it up there, and let the flames begin."

I did a press release on the game. It cost me some money but it's gotten lots of attention.

Download the game!
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know why everyone is bashing Gamedev.net. I posted the demo of my latest project and clearly said it was made in DBPro, but didn't get any negative comments. In fact, I got some helpful PMs.

Anyways, I played your game Cash, but I'm going to download the latest version and play it again before I post up some feedback.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 03:45
Quote: "I did a press release on the game. It cost me some money but it's gotten lots of attention."

glad to hear that worked out...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 30th Jan 2010 01:10 Edited at: 30th Jan 2010 01:13
Looks like some news is imminent:

Quote: "January 27, 2010

Please look for an announcement of the 12 Finalists to take place next Monday, February 1st. The finalists will be listed here on indiegamechallange.com!"

Edit Interesting. Is that a web site misspelling or not?
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Cash Curtis II
I think your doing an awsome job! You just need to fix some easy issues.

For example the movement kind of feels like your a robot.
The ai needs to have more intelligence.

Them are the most two big things I think that need worked on.
Other then that I think your doing a very awsome job! keep it up!

darkvee
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 21:22
I think you have an extremely good quality game in the making.
And stupid people like the one at gamedev will only inspire you to make the game better to kick his ass
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 20:30
well, it appears Metal Morphosis did not make it to the finals. i hope that you don't find it disheartening but, instead, a learning experience on what these challenges might be looking for based on what the finalists offer.

meanwhile, it's been awhile since we've heard from you so i hope all is well and that work on MM continues!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 21:35
Likewise.

CC2, did you get any useful feedback?

I'm reminded of an incident when I was running regularly. I used to take part in a regular weekly race around Battersea Park in London. The event was split into two races: the elite race and the rest. Well, I usually entered the elite race. It was always hard work and I usually struggled not to be last. One week I arrived a couple of minutes late and was still trying to get out of my track suit when the runners were called to the start. One of my team mates said "Relax Jim, just do the other race and enjoy yourself.".

He was right, I did enjoy myself and it was weird being in the lead all the way. I particularly liked the bit when someone was hot on my heels near the end of the first lap and I could hear this heavy breathing getting closer and closer behind me. As we crossed the halfway line someone shouted "one lap to go" and the runner behind me gasped "Oh, S**t!". From there on I was on my own and I enjoyed every moment.

Not quite sure what that has to do with MM but you never know. Hope to hear from you soon, Cash.
Christopher Reeves
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2010 02:45
Hey Cash, I'm very curious as to what you did to get shadows under the players.

I'm assuming you're using the SetShadowShaderOn command with a stencil shader but I'm curious as to how you were able to do that for everybody in the game and keep the framerate so fast without any slowdown! I'm doing the same thing in my game and I'm dropping frames bigtime. I'm also curious as to what shader that is you have on the characters.

Thanks,
Chris
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2010 04:55
Is there a super awesome metal soundtrack ?

WizMod Developer.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 17th May 2010 01:42
sorry for the necro but i thought it better than starting a new thread. it's been awhile since we've heard from him so i emailed cash and received a prompt response:

Quote: "
I want to make a new game now, I've got it planned out. It's just a matter of finding time, I've been dividing my time between my children and working out. I'm going to find a way to make a game soon. I'll visit the forum soon too, it's blocked at my work and I avoid the computer afterwards. Tell everyone I said hi!
"

seems all is well as cash battles the same foe we all do. and, i hope i didn't stir any hopes for an update on this with the bump, but a number of us have inquired on cash' whereabouts so figured i'd pass it on.

Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 22:20
"I hope I didn't stir any hopes for an update on this with the bump" You did, I was really hopin there was one, it looks awesome But I was wondering what happened to this WIP, so thanks for letting us know.

Codesurge is so awesome, thanks Hyrichter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:04:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:04:56