Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Building Textures or models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 05:39
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get some building textures(just basic square textures that look like buildings. nothing special) or a city string model? i have a little street, and the buildings are all just boxes but i just don't have any textures and i am no artist

New Site! Check it out \/
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 14:38
Building texture

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 15:52 Edited at: 31st Oct 2009 16:04
Looking at the first results from that google search, there are an astonishing amount of pictures of buildings which would be pretty useless for texturing purposes...

EDIT: If you are willing to spend some cashmoney (which, depending on your skill and experience and the distance you think this project will go, may or may not be worth it) then there's always turbosquid:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Texture-Maps/building
On the other hand if the project's nowhere near completion, it might be worth using a free texture, if only just as a place-holder, and then deciding whether you want to pay for textures and suchlike when you're basically done with everything else.

This one has some very basic textures:
http://www.photoshoptextures.com/building-textures/building-textures.htm

If you peek around that site there's bits and bobs in there.

I'm not going to go through all the search results for you, but there's probably one or two things hidden away in there which will be good. There's a lot of rubbish though...

"The fools may crash down upon us in thunderous waves, but we shall Jeku slap them back from whence they came"
-BiggAdd Oct 28th 2009
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 18:52
There are also those supplied with DBC.

Are you after textures to use in DBC or in a modelling program?

I have suitable textures for the latter but not the former. Let me know and I'll attach a few suitable textures...

This is a factory I started using some of the textures I have:

Also, as part of my web site's rebuild, I'm adding a free texture library, but I want them all categorised and unfortunately, I have so many it's taking quite a while to sort them out.

TDK

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Caleb
If you have access to a digital camera, take some pictures of facades and sides of buildings, houses. If your models are boxes, you should be able to texture the faces with the pictures without too much trouble.

Enjoy your day.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 04:48
Well pretty much what I'm doing is it will be a basic city street and that will be the menu. on the top of the building will be the names of the levels and when you walk up to a door you can go in and that will open up the level menus(which will in turn look like open doors or something like that)

I am modeling these in Wings3D(pretty simple though. just boxes) i tried using the textures from db but they were to small and made the bricks look about 3x2 foot so that didn't work so well I might end up scrapping the 3d and switch to a 2d street. as the rest of the game is in 2d i just thought that little menu idea was kinda neet.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 05:28
Quote: "and made the bricks look about 3x2 foot"

Most modelling programs give you the option to 'tile' a texture so it repeats across the X and Y axis to stop this happening.

Look for an option called U and V Repeats (that's what they are called in Truespace anyway).

TDK

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 06:08
Oh ok i will look for that thanks

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 21:43
Quote: "Looking at the first results from that google search, there are an astonishing amount of pictures of buildings which would be pretty useless for texturing purposes..."

You are right, sorry if I offended you, Caleb

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 00:11
Quote: "You are right, sorry if I offended you, Caleb
"

Nah it's cool lol

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 05:10 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2009 07:48
@Caleb1994
I haven't touched wings3d in a few years but I think you can scale the texture like TDK is suggesting - just not with as obvious commands.

Here's a quick cube face texturing method.

1. Start Winds3d

2. RIGHT click on the screen and LEFT click on Cube

3. At the top of the screen, there are 4 pyramids. LEFT Click on the 3rd pyramid to enter face select mode

4. Point at any of the faces on the cube. They should turn green. LEFT click on one of the faces when it is green. It should turn yellow. If you move the pointer off of that face it should turn red.

6. RIGHT click somewhere NOT on the Cube. Point to Material > New

7. Change the name to brick. LEFT Click OK. LEFT Click OK again.

8. LEFT click on File > Import Image... and load the brick image you want to use.

9. RIGHT click on the selected face you chose earlier. Point to UV Mapping > Force Segment.

10. LEFT Click on the face in the UV editor window. RIGHT click on the face in the UV editor window. Choose Continue > Project Normal

11. LEFT Click on the 3rd pyramid in the UV editor window at the top (individual face mode)

12. LEFT click on the face in the window. It should turn green.

13. LEFT click on Window > Outliner

13. The name of the image file you loaded should be in the list in the outliner. LEFT click on it's name so that it highlights. Hold LEFT button and drag the name to the material 'brick' we created earlier.

14. A texture type dialog box should open. Choose DIFFUSE.

15. Right click on the cube's face that you are now trying to texture. A menu should open. Choose Material > brick

16. Back in the UV editor window, LEFT click on the face until it turns yellow.

17. RIGHT click on the face and choose Scale > Uniform

18. Hold the CTRL key and move the mouse to increase the scale of the UV to 200% (shown at the top of the window). When satisified, LEFT click.

19. Press SPACE key to deselect and you should see your scaled texture appear on the face you selected. Scaling the UV coordinates greater than 100% repeats the texture. Scaling below 100% stretches the texture across the face.

To scale individual U and V choose Scale > Horizontal for U and Scale > Vertical for V

Enjoy your day.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 15:17
Wow thanks latch! I am about to head off to school so i will try this out tonight!

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
How'd it work out?

Enjoy your day.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 22:19
Sorry! i got swamped with school and stuff then i completely forgot about the post!!! i feel bad now :/ sorry again! the project has actually been scrapped(well that part of it atleast) i will go ahead and try it though!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:27:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:27:42