Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Visual C++ error?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 01:50
Hello all!

I just tried to test my program via the Debug button in Visual C++, and I got this error, in a pop-up error message.

I have no idea what it means - do you guys?

Cheers

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 01:58
It means that you tried to access a variable at the memory location 0x3e75c587. For some reason this was an invalid address.

It could be that you are trying to access memory on the heap after you have freed it, or it could be that you are reading past the end of an array. There are many possibilities.

If you want to find the solution, try debugging your project and look at what line of code it errors on. If you don't know how to use the VC++ debugger, google is your friend.

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 02:14 Edited at: 1st Nov 2009 02:18
I already debugged my project, and that was what I came back with. The message I got was the one I attached before. When I click 'Show Disassembly', I get shown some weird code -

The arrow is pointing at "005254E5 cmp....dword ptr [esi+2F8h],0"

I have no idea what this means tbh, and I can't find anything on google that explains it to me....

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 02:32
If there's an option to "Break" when this error occurs, click it and it will create a break point(shown as a red circle next to the line) and direct you to what variable/pointer/code is creating the issue.

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 11:05
@Ultimate-H - That's what Im trying to explain! The weird code I attached in the previous post is the result of me pressing Break!

It's just a question of wtf "005254E5 cmp....dword ptr [esi+2F8h],0" means...

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 11:50
@baconboy2
Go to the stack trace window, and there will be a table.
On the first row is where the assembly code you are seeing is. Double click each row in turn from the top down until you get C++ code. (You may get assembly, but with C++ lines between bits of assembly as well. In that case, you need to right click on the row in the stack trace and click 'Go to source code'.

That way you can see what line in your code it crashed on.
(There will be a green arrow, and that will point to the line AFTER the line which is crashed on).

Whatever GDK command you are calling on that line, you are calling it with incorrect parameters.

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 13:59
Ok, first thing, where is the stack trace window..... Please excuse my ignorance!

A note - this error only appears when I try and load my 3DWS level model in .X . When I try and load the level as a .dbo, it works fine, albeit without and textures. Does the level need to be lightmapped in order for the textures to show? Because at the moment, it just shows colours in place of the textures, and the colours are similar to what the textures should be (if that makes any sense)

Cheers

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 20:04
Debug->Windows->Call Stack

bloodmage2
Years of Service
User Offline
strange, i get a similar error when i use directX models. include your models into the solution manager, and tell me if there is a small red dot with a minus sign in it, because i think that means the .x is corrupted. did you by chance use 3d canvas?

-to the optimist, the glass is half full. to the pessimist, it is half empty, to the engineer, it is twice as big as it needs to be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:44:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 16:44:55