Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Bruce - Full Game v1.02

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 05:02
van== i tried what u said to post but i can't get it still so here a pic from the end of the game...still trying to beat that 10:10

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2009 12:50
Well done Leo, thanks for persevering!

Updated the first post with the completed time, added in General Jacksons as well - I think it might be trickier to beat that 10:10 than I thought, I guess it's pretty tricky to gauge your own games because of all the testing.

How is the end boss as a challenge? - there's a certain way to kill him quite easily, but he is damn quick with that sword, and pretty fast and loose with the shurikens. I usually duck, then follow him into the corner, so when he stops at the wall you can quickly kick him before he turns around.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 00:18
Quote: "How is the end boss as a challenge? - there's a certain way to kill him quite easily, but he is damn quick with that sword, and pretty fast and loose with the shurikens. I usually duck, then follow him into the corner, so when he stops at the wall you can quickly kick him before he turns around."

Thats how I kill him too.
I think hes too easy.
I think he should be more loose with the Shurikens, and also I think you should have a different-than-normal way of killing him, like making it where you have to jump on his head several times (I love doing that to the ninja!)
Anyways, I'm gonna have another go at beating my score tonight.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 23:59 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 00:38
The most fun that i can remember. however there should really be a kill the player button in those place where you have lives but
can't get out of a small space like the room with three doors.
I got behind them and couldn't jump back or find something to kill myself with so i had to quit at 3:37 minutes in.

But the multiplayer was the highlight here.
I got 3 of my friends over and we kept fly kicking each other down.

This game reminds me of the orignal prinice of persia for some reason, and thats a good thing.

Edit: i was playing v 1.0 when there is a v1.x
i need to update...
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded the updated version hoping you had made the game easier, but it looks like you inadvertently made it harder. Some of the obstacles, like fireballs and firecrackers, are now invisible but can still kill you.

Also, I used the trick of turning the other characters to human controlled and leaving them there, but I still couldn't beat the game. Any chance of an easy mode, where you have infinite lives but can't compete for best time? It would really help guys like me!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 07:11
Hi Van,
I downloaded Bruce but it runs very slowly on my machine.
My machine is pathetic, it has no graphics card, 2.8ghz processor (not too bad), 128mb ram (ouch bad), seriously its best feature is probably having a USB port on the front.
I can play games like Black & White on it though so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get Bruce to run properly.

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 08:27
Obese,
The only thing I can think of, is reducing the screen resolution - set it to 800x600 for instance and it might be playable. I have a cruddy Dell laptop, and even to get it running slowly I have to set it to 640x480. It's probably all the alpha transparency that is slowing things down, on board cards especially hate that.

Jimpo,
Well, I guess you could hack the source code yourself - I think the variable is just called lives, so find the main loop and set that to 5 every time, then you'll have infinite lives. That way it will be the original source too, without the disappearing particles. No idea why it's doing that, strange one. I'll have a look later and see if I can replicate it.

Cyril,
Cheers - that 3 door room trap gets a lot of people - should really fix that, but I'm more interested in knowing why people go over there . The update has a quit function, which means if Bruce gets stuck you can quit to the menu - not ideal, but I think there's only that 1 place that can trap you.

Thanks for playing, and trying to play.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 05:18
Need my high-score updated
beat it in 19:47!

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 22:43
van b... i rember i did that the first time...the reason i did it because i got stuck on that part were u had to jump on the those candles light....if i make another update put a higher wall or a ladder to climb back up.

for me i found the boss i little hard. the way to beat him is okay but that dang sword, need nunchucks...
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 03:14
Very cool stuff, one thing that annoyed me was that changing the controls to WASD wasn't saved, so when you died and started a new game the controls would revert to arrow keys. I'll probably play some more later, the nightmares about Prince of Persia have begun again after playing this .

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 08:30
Cheers DC. The control options not saving is a bit of a pain, there is a way around it though. You could change the key layouts to suit yourself, or reverse them - so you would redefine the arrow keys to WASD, and the WASD keys to the arrow keys, then it'll be WASD for player 1 as default. The problem is that the control layout also handles the multiplayer options, so folk would have to remember to set the controls back if they were saved. Maybe I should make it an option to save the control options instead of just auto-saving the keyboard layout.

There's a few little bits of Prince of Persia in Bruce - like when you run up the spiral stairs, or go through a door portal. PoP was great - totally a class above when it first came out, but I never did complete it.

I'll fix up a final update before the end of the year, dragging my heels to see if any more issues crop up. I will remember to fix that noob-trap . I'll see about adding some tweaks as well, like a training mode and an expert mode - expert mode means you have a 10 minute time limit, training mode means you never run out of lives, but don't get to save your score either.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2009 23:32
Nice Job Van B!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It works very well, I must admit that I got confused on the 3rd screen with the fireballs, and couldn't figure out how to get to the lanterns.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 23:52
Thanks guys

Still no progress on the update, too many distractions - should get onto it soon though.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2010 22:18
hello, van b... just wondering if u just made one level for this game....i want to know if u provide help if i or anyone else get stuck on the tutorials....finally gonna try to make my platfrom....
still getting my models and game concept together as i going along, i am first starting with tutorial 1..so i am making my main character for thru out the tutorials...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 00:25
Hi Leo,
I'm always busy, but will get back to you if you have any queries on the stuff covered in the series, or DBPro in general. I probably have more time for theory stuff than helping with code (because I can do that at work) but would be happy to help out if you need it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 14:55:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 14:55:34