Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Type of game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just wondering if any of you could give me ideas on a game that is fun and action packed with small level based levels because my comp is slow. thanks. I have model packs 9 and 10 too.

John Rink
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Use very few dynamic entities. Dynamic things mean that you can interact with them, the less you use (with the exception of doors, large open areas need to be contained), the better.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
m4marksman
Years of Service
User Offline
do you mean help make the game better or reduce lag?

John Rink
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 03:28
true, very true. to make a game with small levels, it;s really up to you. try to keep it indoors. maybe a game where you must search an apartment building for a fugitive. each level would be a hallway on one of the floors, with a few apartments left open to explore, until finally, you met the fugitive in an upper floor and chased him to the roof. there would be a small fight and the game would be over.

that was jsut a suggestion.

add me on skype- isaacpreston. WWC percentage complete: 22%
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 03:29
m4marksman: Would you happen to play soldier front?
I've met a guy on there named that before.

m4marksman
Years of Service
User Offline
IDK maybe but im not sure haha this is my name on a few things though. I play combat arms

John Rink
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Combat Arms...sounds familiar. I left after everyone accused you of being a hacker just because you are good.

Anyway, as said reduce the size of level rooms, make static objects, etc. And NEVER use too many NPC's (enemies).

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
m4marksman
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok and thanks and ya im not a hacker eaither just so you know im not that computer smart haha

John Rink
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 03:57
Quote: "I left after everyone accused you of being a hacker just because you are good."

You mean SF isnt the only game where this happens?

m4marksman
Years of Service
User Offline
where what happens

John Rink
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 04:41 Edited at: 6th Nov 2009 04:45
I don't have any in-depth storyline ideas for you, though some of the most entertaining FPSC games I've played on these forums have been the Nazi Zombies Fan Maps. Small, confined buildings with multiple rooms, and endless zombies. Unlockable rooms with new weapons give the player something to look forward to, and a reason to keep playing.

Though, if your computer isn't the best (I know mine isn't), you can do a few things to increase FPS Creator's performance right now, which will most definately allow you to have much larger maps without a drop in performance.

PERFORMANCE TIPS

1. Grab an FPS Creator Mod (Fenix Mod and Project Green are both free, so why not get one of them now?). Not only do they provide several new commands and features, but they greatly increase your frame rates.

2. Turn off dynamic lighting effects in the preferences tab. Yes, your guns won't light up the room around you when you fire them anymore, and you can't use flickering lights, but most FPSC games will run at nearly twice their speed when you turn off dynamic lighting. And if you focus more on level design, and confrontations, the player won't really miss the bright muzzle flashes.

3. Turn off shader effects under your preferences tab. Pretty much the same as #2. Shaders are great, but you don't have to have them in order to make an appealing game. And without them, your game will run faster.

4. It's already been said, but, use the least amount of dynamic entities you need in your levels. Weapons, doors, enemies, first aid items, etc. There really isn't a need to make 100 wooden crates interactive. Besides, dynamic objects don't recieve lightmapping from static lights. And proper lightmapping can really make a level stand out.

5. Level breaks. If you've ever played the early Resident Evil games, you'd know that almost each and every individual room in those games required a seperate loading time. I wouldn't recommend going that strict with it, but you do have 50 levels to work with, so splitting up the floors in an apartment building with seperate levels will keep refreshing your game's performance.

Kravenwolf

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 04:49
Thanks for the tips, I found them very useful

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 06:48
If I recall, turning off dynamic lighting also eliminates the effect of static lights on things such as your weapon or entities. The reason the speed increases is not because actual dynamic lights are no longer created but because the entity lighting routine is no longer called.

If the changes I gave to S4Real were properly implemented then Project Blue (and maybe the free Project Green) should be much faster in that regard, as the main issue with entity lighting is distance checking. I'm not sure about either of those mods but I know that AirMod SE could run a project that typically ran at 20fps at a consistent 66fps and it was probably due almost solely to the improvements in the lighting system and some of the more burdensome AI commands.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 07:34
Quote: "If I recall, turning off dynamic lighting also eliminates the effect of static lights on things such as your weapon or entities."

As long as you place the enemies, weapons, items, etc to spawn in a well lit area, they'll be lit properly and will show their textures. But yes, if you place a weapon in total darkness without dynamic lighting enabled, when the player picks it up, the weapon will always appear black (from my personal experience).

Kravenwolf

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 19:23
Quote: "Combat Arms"

I cant seem to play it anymore :/ Crashes when I get to the login screen

http://image.fps-files.com/images/56Watermod_Logo.bmp[/img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 05:20:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 05:20:38