Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I have a question about Quake 3 Arena Maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How exactly do you use a quake 3 arena map in DBPro. Does anybody actually know how to do this. if so could you please show me a code example (a real basic code example as im new to this game programming stuff). This would make me a very happy bunney.... thx
Paul J
Years of Service
User Offline
Also is it possible to use a compiled Halflife map or something? with the textures included in the bsp?

I'm not talking about the entities and such? but just the map...

cheers

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 23:11
I made a half-life map and compiled it to .bsp using WorldCraft 3.3. It was made using the default half-life textures, so I copied the halflife.wad file from the sierra folder wherever it was to the same folder as the dbpro folder and the .bsp map. It ran ok, but the program itself is awful, I didn't spend more than two minutes making it. I mean really, really bad control system. Plus, for some reason when I just ran it, the lightmapping didn't work.

Badger
Years of Service
User Offline
Thx TheDarthster... your code also works with Q3A maps although when I run the code, I start outside of the level and after a few seconds of moving it will freeze. anybody have any ideas (I used "pak0.pk3", "Q3MD0.BSP").

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 00:27
You're welcome, Badger.

Freeze as in the game locks up, or freeze as in you move outside the map and subsequently bits of level are drawn over other bits, the screen doesn't refresh?

In your editor you need to set the player start entity (I don't know if Q3A maps work in the same way) inside the map. Or, build the map around 0,0,0 as the spawn point. I think. Actually, the half life map I used completely ignored the player start entity and put the camera at 0,0,0.

Except you aren't using an editor, you're using pre-built maps. Er... try moving the bsp camera around on initialisation until you're happy with the start position.
Feenix
Years of Service
User Offline
What are pak3 files and how do i load them..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:38:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:38:29