Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DBC Christmas Competition [Cancelled]

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 21:29
I have done all the premilinary work, arranged some prizes worth winning (curtesy of Rick and the guys at TGC), plus a panel of judges and I'm now ready to announce a grand Christmas Programming Competition for DBC.

I believe the last DBC compo was the Alienware one back in 2004 so we are well overdue one...

But, I don't want to waste everyone's time and effort if there's not going to be enough interest in it.

So... I'd like to ask you all to commit yourselves to taking part by posting your name in this thread - if you want to take part that is.

No time wasters please. If there's any chance you won't be able to see it through, then please don't say you will enter. I'd like to start it on or before the 25th of November with a closing date of 25th of December.

If there are enough people willing to enter to make it worthwhile, then it can go ahead and I will reveal details of the competition and what the prizes are. They will be worth winning!

It will also be open to DBPro users, provided of course that their entry is written and runs in DBC (most of them still have DBC).

I will be one of the three judges so I won't be allowed to enter, but if someone wants to judge instead of me...

TDK

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 00:02
What's the theme of the competition?
That would be great, it might get some people back to the DBC board as well.

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 01:07
What are the boundaries of my imagination for this?

Is there a limit on how big the game's allowed to be?

I agree, this will be awesome!

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Finally, I have been craving a TGC supported DBC capable competition for a REALLY long time. I can't say for certain if I will have the time to compete though, classes have been rough. Definitely want to though, if that means anything.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 01:49
I think I still have code from the first DBC christmas challenge.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in, Sign me up!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 14:24 Edited at: 14th Nov 2009 14:25
If we can get enough contestants to enter, we have literally thousands of Game Creator Store points to give away as prizes.

Naturally, TGC don't want to waste time and money on a competition that no-one has any interest in.

The DBC community hasn't had the attention that DBP and FPSC has had in recent years because it's an old product. But now we have our chance so, for this competition to happen we have to show that the DBC community is not dead yet...

The theme isn't decided on yet - other than Christmas obviously - I've been waiting to see what interest was generated.

I'd like to see everyone who owns DBC enter, including newcomers but with only a month to complete an entry, a full game might be asking too much for some.

Maybe something simple like a Christmas screensaver might allow even the newest of newcomers to enter...

A month should allow everyone to go to town on that one...

Quote: "I think I still have code from the first DBC christmas challenge."

If it won, no you can't re-use it Phaelax!

TDK

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure, but I might have time to make a quick entry.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 17:29
Quote: "Maybe something simple like a Christmas screensaver might allow even the newest of newcomers to enter..."

I'd much prefer something with an input from the user to be honest...

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in. I've got an idea of stuff I could do already so
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 22:28
I would love to, although as was stated above by someone else. School is a pain to get around, and i am a bit of a slacker

I did just think of a idea. Ok, Yes i will enter! lol

New Site! Check it out \/
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 06:43
Quote: "If it won, no you can't re-use it Phaelax!"

never submitted it

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
It depends on what the competition is. What's the criteria? Is source code submitted? If so what happens to the source? What media can be used?

Enjoy your day.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 04:40
If there is sufficient interest, submissions will be exe only - no source code.

As far as I am concerned, I could pass the winners on to Rick Vanner as submissions for inclusion in the TGC web site's showcase (if the author is happy to do that) - otherwise nothing.

But, if TGC are supplying the prizes, then I assume that normal TGC competition rules apply - whatever they are...

To be honest, these are the sort of details I didn't waste any timme on - just in case there wasn't any interest in a competition.

TDK

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it seems like there is some interest. Any word on if it will actually happen?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 22:15
I'm willing to enter, but don't have a clue if I'll ever finish.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 01:28
Well, there were four who clearly said they would enter with a possible fifth.

The starting date would have been the 25th of Novmber (to give a month up until the 25th of December to complete entries), but seeing as so few were interested enough to confirm they would definitely enter, I decided it wasn't really worth the hassle involved.

Besides that, I doubt that TGC would have been impressed giving away 8000 points for the online shop as prizes - when every entry would receive a prize apart from one!

So, no Christmas DBC Competition this year...

TDK

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 01:57
Quote: "So, no Christmas DBC Competition this year..."

we have been naughty not nice.

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps they could simply make competitions from now on that everyone can participate in, rather than ones that require DBPro and addons to it...

Great Quote:
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Gah I would've entered, (should've spoke up)

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2009 06:04
I think a lot more people would have tried to enter (or at least a few more) but I guess that the
Quote: "If there's any chance you won't be able to see it through, then please don't say you will enter."

aspect of it would have put people off. We could always try a prize-less one? I know we have the DBC Challenges but this would be something larger scale and could probably still pull in a few people.

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't spot this comp as my attention was on the ruined city fpsc9 comp advertised in last months newsletter.
It would have been a better idea to throw the ruined city comp open to all versions of dark basic.
The competition would have been a lot more intense.
There is still time to do this before the next newsletter.

mpc
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 18:42
Quote: "Perhaps they could simply make competitions from now on that everyone can participate in, rather than ones that require DBPro and addons to it..."

Not a bad idea, but I doubt that DBC users could compete with the DBP entries. Unless they also had a DBC category...

Quote: "I think a lot more people would have tried to enter (or at least a few more) but I guess that the
Quote: "If there's any chance you won't be able to see it through, then please don't say you will enter."
aspect of it would have put people off."

That was exactly why I said it. Many competitions get people saying "yes I'll enter", then they don't.

OK, lets say another 8 people said they would enter without my 'warning'. But after all the work, the chances are that only the above 4 who said they would enter actually would have submitted at the end. I'm sure the other 8, if they really were going to enter would have said so by now.

I've just save a whole lot of messing about for both myself and TGC.

The intention was for the competition to run for a month, finishing on the 25th of December, but it's too late now. But as someone else said, there's nothing stopping a 'no-prizes' Christmas competition.

I'd be surprised if there were any more takers for it though - seeing as there was so little interest in one with pretty decent prizes worth winning.

TDK

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 22:29
Quote: "I'd be surprised if there were any more takers for it though - seeing as there was so little interest in one with pretty decent prizes worth winning."

Yes but there would also be less pressure to complete entries, so everyone could make a start and the people who felt inspired/motivated by their idea would continue.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:21:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:21:07