Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK and 3DS MAX viewports

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I created a simple scene in 3ds max 2010 contains small cylinder and a camera, the camera is top of the cylinder, and i tried make the same view in DarkGDK with the same positions but i found a difference:
In 3ds max 2010:
i created cylinder model in the top viewport and position it in (0,0,0), and a camera in position (0,0,150) then i export the cylinder as .X model to load it in GDK

In DarkGDK:
I load this .X model in position (0,0,0) and create a camera in position (0,0,150)

the result:
I can't see the model in GDK ...!
Is models in 3ds max viewport take the same position in DarkGDK

p.s: in GDK i can view the model if i position the camera in (0,0,-200) although i make it in 3ds max (0,0,150)

is this mean i must rotate the model to look right...!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 16:15 Edited at: 14th Nov 2009 16:21
I can't be bothered to test it now but I believe 3DS Max uses a left handed coordinate system and has the Y and Z axis flipped from the sane system of having Y as up so you'll have to account for this when reading any coordinates from it. In summary - GDK: +x = right, +y = up, +z = forward, 3DS Max: +x = right, +y = forward, +z = up.

HelioSeven
Years of Service
User Offline
dark coder, I like how you refer to Y-Up as the "sane system".

In reality, the two systems were developed out of two completely different lines of thinking. One is that the screen is usually on the side of the Cartesian Plane, so when we 2-dimensionally draw graphs, x is horizontal, y is vertical. The remaining axis, which z is assigned to, is the depth axis.

Z-Up came from the theory that the flat plane is the "floor". A good instance of this would be GPS coordinates, where east-west is x and north-south is y. The remaining axis is not depth, but altitude, which is where Z-Up theory came from.

In summary: Z-Up is where the z axis is altitude, Y-Up is where the z axis is depth. Two different things.

In reality, Y-Up coordinates are better suited to combined 2D and 3D graphics, or 2.5D graphics. Z-Up coordinates are better for solely 3D graphics, especially open worlds. Neither is the "sane" system.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 18:22:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 18:22:27