Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WIP: Miss Kitty Fantastico

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 05:36
Well, I've had DarkBASIC for I don't know how long... and I FINALLY made something: a game starring Miss Kitty Fantastico (the kitten from Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Most of the game is based on jokes and sarcastic remarks from Buffy, so it's quite silly. Just posted a 2-level demo at http://www.freewebs.com/skwirle/download.htm.

Runs at about 25-30 fps, largely due to my horrifying sloppy collision checking that I so need to rewrite... I'm curious what frame rates other people can run this game at. Or if anyone finds a bug or crashes it.

If I ever finish it, the game will be free, and I'm going to post the source after I clean it up some. Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Here's a dinky screenshot:
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 08:26 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2003 08:27
now that is a bloody class game
only 14-20fps even on this lil beasty, so you might wanna turn static objects on or something ... but i loved it.

can't wait for some more levels, definately something i could waste a few hours on ... perhaps look into some bigger or more complex puzzles for later, and i liked the block moving - would be nice to see some animation go into that like the kitten pushes it with its head.

but this definately reminds me why i love db so much

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 12:05
Haven't downloaded it yet, but it does look great.

I'll let you know how I get on later.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2003 15:04
It just crashes for me, once the game started to load it just crashed without explaination.

Looks pretty good though

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 03:34
Raven: Thanks! Although I cringed when I saw "14-20fps" b'c I know there's some remarkably inefficient code in there. I've got plans for bigger levels and more complicated puzzles... I just need to improve the game code to handle them! And thanks for mentioning static objects... I didn't even think of that (and probably start using static collision boxes too).

And yeah, that kitten needs some more animation... I like that suggestion about pushing stuff with her head! Now if I can just figure out how a cat would throw a stake...

Inferno: Darn, I knew it was going to crash on somebody's pc! Since you didn't get as far as the title screen, my first wild guess is because I'm not checking the video card, just switching to 640x480 16-bit. And I've only tested on Win2k... what OS are you running on?

Van B: Thanks, here's hoping it runs!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 06:49
i think it'd do it using its tail... ya know kind crouch down then hop backward and then launch the stake by kind doing a short run & spin to the side, so it like flicks it towards the enemy.

also think perhaps you can have it pull things but attaching ropes to things so it can like grab on with its mouth

maybe have button pushing on the ground, it could like hop on its front paws to click the button down

i kinda like the idea of maybe a mini jump, nothing to major just so you can like push a block upto a wall and jump onto it. Not like superman or nothing but she jumps up and has this cute scramble animation where it hangs on with its front paws and scrambles up using its rear paws

... on incase your wondering i've got an Athlon 900mhz - 512mb ram - GeForceFX 5200 64 - WinXP Pro - DirectX 9.02 - Detonator 45.23 WHQL - CMedia EAX2.0 Quadraphonic

so as i said, this system isn't really a slouch.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 16:26
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz, 512mb ram, GF4Ti4600, win98, dx9

Yer i think the changing resolution maybe the problem, my 3dcard doesn't like 640x480 res very much. Oh well i'll just play it on my brothers computer, i'm sure it'll work on that

skwirle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 03:45
Curiouser and curiouser, you two have better systems than me... a 650MHz Celeron, 392MB RAM, and some generic Intel video card. I must be doing something weird that only works with Win2000.

Raven, great suggestions for the animations, especially that poor stiff tail of hers. The kitten used to be able to jump (up onto the headstones) but I ended up commenting out that code... in later levels there are kinda jumppads (well, big spider webs), in an effort to make harder-to-navigate puzzles. And more pushable items and floorplates that trigger crossbows, although those are still buggy. I like the thing about pulling on ropes, and I might put a sorta half-jump back in the more I think about it

Oh, I'm definitely stealing that idea for the scramble animation when she lands! Needs more "cute". (Grrr, now I have to learn how to animate beyond rotating legs back and forth, lol)

Inferno (or anyone else listening) I completely forgot... the default resolution can be overridden. In the same directory as the game (like C:\program files\MKF\), open "MKF.ini" with notepad or such. Resolution, color depth, max fps, and sound volume can be changed... in lieu of actual in-game controls. Not 100% sure it'll work since a couple other functions run before it checks that file (need to fix that too!).

Thanks all!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 03:58
Yere i saw that but it didn't work . i dont know whether or not the resolution changed, it closed before i could check.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 06:04
well i hope your next update fixxes the speed for us lowely GeForce users
that aside feel free to use any suggestions, i'd love to see this game get bigger and better as a result of the feedback you get

might have a tinker with your model in Max later, see if i can't concept some proper animations - key to good animating of a character is to just try to imagine what it would look like at each of the major animation point ... i tend to sketch out little stick figures to help me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:35:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:35:56