Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Making an object textured in the editor but invisible in game.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 23:51
Is it possible to have an object textured in the editor but invisible in game?

Yes, I know about making it black with an alpha channel but I don't want that.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 00:17 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 00:17
How about giving it an alternate texture which is invisible, then having the appear script switch textures when it first appears?
That way it'll have the default texture in the editor and the alternate texture in the game.

knxrb

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 05:08 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 06:41
Whatever your texture is, make it with a fully transparent alpha channel, your texture doesnt need to be black.
You could use .png which doesnt use a black alpha it has a transparent background, though I dont see what you want exactly, if just for placement of the object then any texture would do, just swap it out when you build.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 14:00 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 14:01
The reason is that I want to to make an Info Object. This small flat object would be placed next to things that could be examined instead of making each object dynamic, especially if it's a high polly object. Here's an example:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 18:22
Just do as your doing now with that texture, then when you come to build your game, run the cleaner and swap that texture for a full alpha one (at least until we get back the black shadow alpha view in the editor).

I only use this for fun and have no interest in making commercial games ^_^
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 18:28
High polly?
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 18:41 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 18:42
Quote: "The reason is that I want to to make an Info Object. This small flat object would be placed next to things that could be examined instead of making each object dynamic, especially if it's a high polly object. Here's an example:"

Why not just use trigger zones and make it 0 polys? That's what's done here.

Kravenwolf

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 18:48 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 18:50
It was from you I got the idea Kravenwolf.

Yes I could make it using triggerzones but I wanted it on a per object basis, for example 2 objects could be in one segment. In the example a few posts up you'll notice that the power box and the pipe would be inside 1 triggerzone.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 19:04
Quote: "It was from you I got the idea Kravenwolf."

Well to be fair, I got the idea from Resident Evil XD

I see what you're seeing though. In other parts of the game (and in the Nazi Zombies Fan Game), I had the same problem with multiple objects in the same segment space. I fixed it by moving the trigger zones into the walls so only a sliver of them was sticking out in front of each entity.

In another game I was working on I decided to use planes as you're working with now, but I just stuck them inside the walls near the scene, so it didn't matter weather or not they were visible.

Kravenwolf

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 19:24
I also had need for something like this a while back, and tried to create a new marker before I found out they were hard coded. A "general purpose" marker would be a welcome addition to the library.

I guess you could use a certain colored light marker with no light value, but something like your "i" marker would be much better.

Brian.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 20:06
Well there's one for Project Blue.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 07:26:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 07:26:29