Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / 'Fall Out City' complete with tanks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Nothing quite like driving your own tank with plenty ammo!

mpc

Attachments

Login to view attachments
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 03:04
You've got another post with exactly the same thing on just below this...

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 18:45
Good job! Work out some collision, enemy AI, and radar you could turn this into a nice game!

New Site! Check it out \/
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
demons breath "You've got another post with exactly the same thing on just below this..."
Didn't want the demo to get lost in the fog of that discussion as I already posted a demo with a wheeled vehicle.
Plus with the 'fall out' fpsc9 comp getting underway a separate reference seemed more appropriate.

Note: To anyone running the demo - If like me you use windows up to xp for Dark Basic you probably already know that Dark Basic does not run on Vista as Vista uses a different version of Direct X. The 'run as previous version of windows' does not get around this.
Just thought I should mention this.
Microsoft seems to have messed up on this as their original promise was that all subsequent versions of Direct X would support all previous versions.
I have lots of games and demos I have collected over the years that wont run on vista for the same reason.
On reflection vista must be a 'dog' of a system or windows 7 wouldn't have been rushed out so soon. My opinion only as the only reason I bought it was to run fpsc10 and it couldn't even manage that properly.
If windows 7 re-introduces support for previous direct x I would gladly bin vista.
XP is the system I use all the time as it supports all the existing games and software.
Just had a thought - Maybe it's just the Vista Pro version I have that's crap and the other editions are working fine.
Any comments?

mpc
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 17:09
I used to have DB running fine on Vista - what version of DB are you using? I think 1.2 solved the odd problems that sometimes turned up with 1.13 on Vista.

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
demons breath "what version of dbc are you using?"
Funny enough I just realised I'm using dbc v1 enhanced.
I usually put it up to v1.13 enhanced but last time I reloaded it I forgot to do this.
I'll update it again to 1.13
I never go beyond that because it always tends to slow right down with newer updates.
As you say I'll maybe have to use the newer updates in order to get it to run on vista.
Thanks for jogging my memory

mpc
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 17:27
You've got to install DX9 manually. Then it should work.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
I understand now that I can run db programs on vista
My programs only need to include the missing dll in the project folder
I'm also told I can run db itself on vista if I install the required direct x separately
Question - would installing a second version of direct x not confuse vista programs?

mpc
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
Sad to say DBC wont even install on vista
As for my scenery project I am going to use it for the fpsc9 ruined city xmas comp.
The low poly version will make a nice city surround

mpc
CapnBuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
First, Fall Out City is a really great play! As I was playing, this is all I missed (and please know these are the comments of a complete newbie!)

1) the enemies needed a little AI. Nothing too big like working as a team (although that's always nice). I kept wishing they just gave a little chase.

2) after the enemy tanks are "dead," it would be nice to have them stay in the streets... acting as barriers. that way the city becomes more difficult to traverse as the game progresses.

3) I'm not a giant "collision" fan. It can be fun, but not really needed in an "arcade" game.

4) I was looking for a little more decoration on the buildings. It doesn't need to be much, but I found myself wanting a little something to get a feel for where I was on the map.

I really loved this game. I think you've done great work... and convinced me to open this DarkBasic box I've had in my programs pile for months! The only problem is my Vista computer!
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
I intend to return and complete this game.
Broke off to do a fpscx9 version.
At some point I would like to put it all together 'fall out city' with tanks plus first person shooter.

mpc
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 05:26
This is great. Glad I stumbled into the DBC forum. I really liked the feel with the graphics and sound. You should make the tank able to rotate on the spot, because tanks can do that.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, this is pretty cool. I agree the sound adds a very interesting feel and ambience. It's coming along pretty well.

Enjoy your day.
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Dr Tank 'the tank able to rotate on the spot'"

The turret already rotates using the left and right mouse buttons.
A press of the forward arrow while holding the left or right arrow should make the tank spin.
Quote: "Latch 'the sound adds a very interesting feel and ambience'"

I intend to provide sounds for fpscx9 through the game store once they get the exe situation sorted out. i.e. everything protected in one exe.
I just realised I should also provide them for db programmers as well.
I did mention that I did a small fpscx9 demo (35mb zip exe) of fall out city as a first person shooter.
You can get it from the link and compare both.

http://www.filefront.com/15655125/falloutcity.exe

mpc
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a screenshot of the fpsc version of 'fall out city'

mpc

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 22:31
Quote: "Here's a screenshot of the fpsc version of 'fall out city'

"

Looks cool, but I guess something you would expect from FPSC.......

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 02:41
Dude this is awesome

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:11:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:11:02