Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Would this be a game worth playing?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Title: Just Sanity

Plot: Rick was a nice guy in his late 30s. However, his family was somewhat different. His dad was dead, his mother in jail, and his sister an alcholic. But thats not really important.

One day, he goes to donate blood. When he arrives at the place where the donation will be held, he notices some strange Military vehicles. Then, during the donation, he blacks out.

After waking up in a hopsital, he is told there was an accident and he almost lost to much blood. After staying in the hopsital for three weeks suspiciously, he left and went home and immediately got a call from his sister. She needed to be picked up (because she was drunk).

So he goes to pick her up. On the way to her house, someone jumps into the middle of the road causing Rick to crash into the side of a building.

When he awakes, everything looks all hellish and everyone is zombies like creatures. Out of fear, he shoots some of them but is then shot with a dart, that causes him to feel a bit strange, and then blacks out.

He then wakes up in an asylum, and told everything will be 'alright'.

Now, that is what is going to be mentioned in the opening cutscene. Lets get to the real plot.

One day an explosion in the asylum causes a mini-earthquake and causing Rick's nurse to fall on his bed's headboard and die. Seeing a chance to escape, he runs through the now open door, to find answers.

Gameplay:

There will be almost no weapons (there might be one for the final boss fight), making it where instead of attacking enemies, you retreat.

There will be two 'Inforooms' per level. These can open doors that must be opened by switch.

Multiple endings. Depending on which doors you go through, or which puzzles you solve, will effect your ending and how different things are. For example, you could see three doors, each requiring a code. Depending on what door you go through will change how the level is.

There will be diary entries. What they say depends on the path you are following. For example, if you follow a bad path, the entries will get more twisted and cruel, or if you choose a good path, they will be more cheerful.

Cutscenes are replaced by flashbacks, however these are just voices and words. Their point is to shed more light on the story.

Some characters might talk to you, or lead you on the wrong path. Trust no-one.

Rate on a scale of 1-10, and give some suggestions.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 23:22

a game in an asylum with zombies should have some weapons, don't just introduce boss fighting and weapon use to the player in the last level. maybe certain NPCs will provide weaponry if you follow their path, but that doesn't always mean it's the right path.

no path should lead to inevitable death, some should just be harder than others.

inforooms should be locked up tight by people who were lucky enough to get out of the halls where zombies roam. each inforoom should contain a different person, or quest giver.

kravenwolfs media would be great for this game.

add me on skype- isaacpreston. WWC percentage complete: 60%
UltimateClay
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "inforooms should be locked up tight by people who were lucky enough to get out of the halls where zombies roam. each inforoom should contain a different person, or quest giver."

Only Rick sees the zombies. They aren't really zombies, its just Rick. He happens to be insane.

Quote: "kravenwolfs media would be great for this game."

Can I have a link?
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 04:08
then the story makes no sense. well, rather, it wouldn't make sense to the player, and playing a whole game as an insane guy who is seeing things, things you never interact with wouldn't be fun. the inforooms will be pointless, considering the asylum isn't abandoned, and the people who you talk to would be like "wtf you're hallucenating, weirdo"

Lord Smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Unless you used the hallucinations as a sort of BOO got you. Maybe something that is making him insane and he is out to destroy it before it kills everyone in the city (like the Marker from Dead Space) then could have it a mostly puzzle oriented game.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 05:04
the whole insanity thing would be confusing and annoying after a while.

also, inforooms and other NPCs would have no place in the game.

UltimateClay
Years of Service
User Offline
Unless you used the hallucinations as a sort of BOO got you. Maybe something that is making him insane and he is out to destroy it before it kills everyone in the city (like the Marker from Dead Space) then could have it a mostly puzzle oriented game.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 19:33
yeah, I don't like it anymore.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 21:00
It may just be me, but I think roughly 85% of the people on this board are going to say "NOEZ!! MORE ACKSHUN!!!" to a game that forces you to think (or heaven forbid... try again)

My suggestion for your game would be to make the zombies "real" in a sense. If he's truly insane, then they are fabrications of his mind. If his mind really thought he was being mauled by a zombie, then it's very likely that the appropriate wounds would open on their own. You could also have these "quest givers" be hallucinations as well. I know no body really likes to have unhappy endings, but when it comes to people who are that insane..... I find it almost unbelievable to have a happy ending. If this were a game, I would put my bets on him losing to the core of insanity, and would be forever lost in his demented world of zombies.

The one and only,

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 22:25
Quote: "Only Rick sees the zombies."

Astley? You could make an easter egg and use the Rick Astley model from Bond1.
Quote: "Quote: "kravenwolfs media would be great for this game."
Can I have a link? "

Oh, uh... just look around, but they're very grunge and dark, perfect for horror games.
Quote: "I know no body really likes to have unhappy endings"

I loooooooove unhappy endings! They make you wonder and stay up at night.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/pg.htm
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict" - M.L.K.J.
Stop P&G from testing on animals.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 22:34
Quote: "It may just be me, but I think roughly 85% of the people on this board are going to say "NOEZ!! MORE ACKSHUN!!!" to a game that forces you to think (or heaven forbid... try again)"

no, it'd just be confusing to the player and get annoying. also, it'd be a real buzz kill when they find these so-called "clues" and piece it all together in their mind that the whole thing is just some crazy guy's hallucenations.

I'm also not demanding more action, just don't have there be one fight in the whole game, or else the player will not be GOOD at fighting when they reach the fight. either no fighting, a few well placed small fights, enough for the player to learn, or a good amount of combat.

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 02:33
somehow, The Suffering comes to mind, then I noticed someone released a character pack like it

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/pg.htm
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict" - M.L.K.J.
Stop P&G from testing on animals.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 23:12
Quote: "no, it'd just be confusing to the player and get annoying. also, it'd be a real buzz kill when they find these so-called "clues" and piece it all together in their mind that the whole thing is just some crazy guy's hallucenations."

Many players felt ripped off when they beat Myst or Riven, but many others didn't and actually enjoyed it. Having a plot twist like that could be what makes the entire thing interesting. While the player is thinking that there really ARE zombies (just like the character) they form hypotheses in their minds about why there would be zombies only to find out that the guy they're playing as is completely insane and is hallucinating the entire thing. To be honest, I would find that a lot more interesting as a story than the age-old run-into-the-ground zombie scenarios everyone tries to use right now.

Quote: "I'm also not demanding more action, just don't have there be one fight in the whole game, or else the player will not be GOOD at fighting when they reach the fight. either no fighting, a few well placed small fights, enough for the player to learn, or a good amount of combat."

I don't recall getting prior fighting experience in Shadow of the Collosus before they stick with a 5 story mammoth hurling around a massive club. Guess what? It's likely the player is going to fail and have to try again. (Btw, Shadow of the Collosus is my all time fav. game to date because it was an action/puzzle game done right )

About the fighting, I agree it would add to the depth of the gameplay if the player had to actually fight the zombies, which is why I mentioned it.

The one and only,

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 14:04
Seems like a good idea. I'd go for it.

Can you survive from the horrors of the hidden land Occulo?
UltimateClay
Years of Service
User Offline
I have formed a theory from this thread. Bugsy don't like this game.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 15:50
I liked it, but the way you originally explained the story made it sound understandable.

if you put fighting, teach me how to fight

if you put zombies, don't spoil it at the end telling me it was all in my head (unless it's the setup for a sequel. that may work then)

puzzles and trying again are fine with me, as long as I don't blame the developer for needing to try again. if it's your fault I try again, than it's bad, but if it's mine than it's good.

If you put combat in, yet no tutorial, then it's your fault for the players frustration.

If you put very little, very difficult combat in, teaching you how to fight better, then when the player dies, whos fault is it? the players.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 16:45 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 16:46
Personally, ending the game on "you are insane and everything you saw was in your head" is a little like the "Then he woke up and it was all a dream" ending - It seems like an easy way out of trying to come up with a complex storyline.

By all means, make us play an insane man - It's a nice idea. But don't have the entire story fall on this point. Create an interesting story AROUND the fact that you are insane instead. I think the player should be told early on that he is insane. I think that would be a great description to the player:

"Rick has been sentenced to spending the rest of his years in a padded room. Why? Because Rick is clinically insane..."

Quote: "If you put combat in, yet no tutorial, then it's your fault for the players frustration.
"

"Welcome to the combat tutorial. To kill things, mash your left mouse button."

Quote: " (Btw, Shadow of the Collosus is my all time fav. game to date because it was an action/puzzle game done right )
"

Amen to that.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 18:35
Quote: ""Welcome to the combat tutorial. To kill things, mash your left mouse button.""

well at least tell us that before we have reason to get mad at you for poor design

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 19:34 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 19:35
To be honest EVERY game is worth playing if its well executed.

Even the #1000 Nazi-Zombie game will be a good one if its challenging and entertaining.

Its not hard to think about waht a good game needs - we all play probably a dozen new games each year and everyone knows exactly what he loved & hated about them. The problem is, that the FPSC stock engine is not able to do everything our favourite games do. The trick is to get out of the FPSC engine (including mods) as much as possible.

Some words to the background/story:
Most WIP threads provide a background, some projects even have stories better and more original than we get in pro games. But when the demo comes up the story is mostly gone, maybe a hud explains a litte while the level loads and thats it. To make a game entertaining and motivating there have to be story elements for the player. documents to read, cutscenes to be seen, incoming transmissions to be heard.

The bottom line is: Your game (and any other game) will be worth playing if you make the player WANT to go on. And why should a player actually WANT to go on? Because there is a challenge to take, because he is curious what's next, because there is a puzzle to be solved. But definitely not because the game *deserves* it.

Its simple but its not easy - otherwise we'd all had our own game publishing company by now

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 07:29:40
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 07:29:40