Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Better Start? DBP or DBC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all. I was wondering what was easier. Starting with darkBASIC classic and moving to darkBASIC pro or starting with darkBASIC pro and just jumping DBC altogether?
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 06:35
IT's not a question on which is easier, it's more of a question on what you want. with DBC you are going to(more then likely) learn the basics and get them down great. On the other hand with dbp you are going to look at it and think oh wow look at all these fetures where do i start?

I am not going to tell you which one to start with. i say look over the features, get the demos(or for dbp you can get the free version) and see which you like better.

Just warning you this type of post SOMETIMES starts a dbp vs dbc debate. lol be prepared just in case

New Site! Check it out \/
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 09:40 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 09:48
Quote: "On the other hand with dbp you are going to look at it and think oh wow look at all these features where do i start?"

What? no? ... You can learn the basics just as well with dbpro. I recommend getting dbpro, if you think dbc is easier to learn you would be wrong. And if you buy dbc, and if you then later on want to upgrade to dbpro - because, let's face it, dbc is outdated and very slow. - then you'll just regret getting dbc in the first place and think "why didn't i just buy dbpro in the beginning?"

At least that was my experience.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 09:40 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 09:44
Just go with both at the same time, that's what I did.

DBC teaches you how to be conservative and learn how to make the best out of your codes because it's more limited.

DBPro is faster and more powerfull, if you can learn from using DBC you can gain more of an advantage while using this.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 13:05 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 13:07
Quote: "
DBC teaches you how to be conservative and learn how to make the best out of your codes because it's more limited."

This is what i meant.... I wish i was better at letting my thoughts out lol

Quote: "What? no? ... You can learn the basics just as well with dbpro.
"

I didn't say you can't learn the basics with dbp, what i mean was it is easier to learn the basics in dbc, because it just doesn't have so much stuff that captures your eye.

Example:

You are brand new to programming, and you open up dbp. You go to the Command Index and you see "Game FX Commands" and "Core Commands" Which one captures your eye? Game FX would get my attention.

My point is,because dbp has more fancy features it is going to have more things to sidetrack newbies away from the basics(i'm not saying fancy features are bad ). I'm not saying dbc doesn't have some fun stuff, it just doesn't have as much fancy stuff.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 14:43
On the other hand, there's a free version of DBP available at the moment, which would sway me if I was just trying to get into this stuff...

Schaef
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I just recently got the Dark Game Studio, so I have both. Thats why I was trying to decide where to start.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 18:49
Quote: "if you think dbc is easier to learn you would be wrong"

No you wouldn't!

It's like saying a language which has 82 letters in it's alphabet is easier to learn than one with 26...

DBPro is faster and has many more features which makes it harder to learn. But, if you ignore all the nice bells and whistles in DBPro, then there's little between them (learning-wise).

Now DBP has a free version, you can try it for nothing.

TDK

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
If you already have Pro, you may as well start there. Though, the thing I really like about Classic is the type and go sort of approach. With Classic, you just type your test code and run it and you see the result right then and there - no real compile time. But still, if you already have Pro, there's no need to use Classic. You really wouldn't gain anything - in fact you wouldn't even have the same options - and the time learning it could be spent learning Pro.

I'm all for Classic, but if you are just starting and already have both available, use Pro.

Enjoy your day.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No you wouldn't!

It's like saying a language which has 82 letters in it's alphabet is easier to learn than one with 26..."

So.. You're saying that if you did have an 82 letter alphabet you couldn't learn the first 26 letters just as easily as you could with the 26 letter one.

Just because it's got more features doesn't mean it's harder to learn. You can learn the basics with dbp, just as you could with dbc.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 21:39
Quote: "Just warning you this type of post SOMETIMES starts a dbp vs dbc debate. lol be prepared just in case
"

I can feel it in the air..... looming....

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 22:08
Quote: "So.. You're saying that if you did have an 82 letter alphabet you couldn't learn the first 26 letters just as easily as you could with the 26 letter one."

Maybe, but it's harder to stay focused on just the 26 if you have all 82 available

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 00:54 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2009 04:35
Quote: "So.. You're saying that if you did have an 82 letter alphabet you couldn't learn the first 26 letters just as easily as you could with the 26 letter one."

Not at all. To quote myself, I did say, "But, if you ignore all the nice bells and whistles in DBPro, then there's little between them (learning-wise)".

"if you think dbc is easier to learn you would be wrong"... is what you said.

I'm just pointing out that both have virtualy the same core functionality, but with less features DBC must be easier to learn. Unless you are talking about only using DBPro to write DBC programs...

The other benefits have already been mentioned.

Having said that, the main reason for starting off with DBC used to be price, but with the free version of DBP available that reason no longer exists.

TDK

Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 01:26 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2009 01:58
Quote: "Now DBP has a free version, you can try it for nothing."
Quote: "but with the free version of DBC available that reason no longer exists."

Hold on, so BOTH versions are free now?

- Link102
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 03:32
Typo I think. DBC isn't free. Apart from apparently with some Trial Pay rubbish (I don't know what that is but I don't like the sound of it)

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 03:52
Quote: "Apart from apparently with some Trial Pay rubbish (I don't know what that is but I don't like the sound of it)
"

It's a thing where you take surveys and occasionally have to sign up for things, but in return you get a good product for free. Never tried it, but i have looked into it.

Schaef:

The jist of what everyone is saying is, if you have dbp go ahead and use it

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 04:34
Yes sorry - Typo. I'll edit my post...

TDK

Schaef
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright. Thanks for all the help everyone. I just looked through the help files and there were a lot of omitted commands in DBP, so it will be better to start with that, so i don't ingrain bad, or what would now be bad, habits into my memory.
MESS14H
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive had DBC for a while but ive only just decided to use it so ive had a look on the game creators website and they have lots of other tools to help create your games like character creator and 3D World studio. These say that they export files to the .x format for DBP but i was wondering if they would still be usable with DBC or is there code that DBC simply wouldnt recognize.
Would apreciate it if anyone has used any of the addon dev SW with DBC so i can see whats available befor i decide i have to upgrade to dbp in order to get the use of these addons.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:55:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:55:43