Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / My first game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 21:14
Here is my first game! 2 pictures are within this game so I will make 2 more posts after posting the .exe file! Put them all in the same folder and you should be good Please enjoy, feedback greatly appreciated!

Proud owner of Dark Game Studio

Attachments

Login to view attachments
soysauce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 21:15
First picture

Attachments

soysauce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 21:15
Second picture, remember to place these all in the same folder, if you do not download both pictures the game will NOT RUN!

Attachments

ThatOther Person
Years of Service
User Offline
In the future you should compress the game and all of the files needed to run it (like images) together in a zip or rar file. Along with making the download size a bit smaller (which will be a bigger deal later with bigger games) it will save people needing to get multiple files. That way you can avoid the risk of them missing one file or not putting them all in the correct folder.

It was a good game especially for your first one. The asteroids seem to move a little oddly. They kinda lurch and pause rather then following there path at a consistent rate. But maybe that was intentional. I cant figure out how you might have done that without going out of your way to accomplish it. If it was an accident it was a fairly impressive one. It would be nice if the asteroids where also able to move diagonally. It would be a lot more work but you could also have stuff to pickup that would effect the game. Like explosives to clear out an area of asteroids or something to slow them down or speed you up. Aside from that that though the only real improvements I can think of are visual things. I like it. Keep up the good work.

I lasted for 120 seconds.

soysauce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 22:53
Thanks for the feedback. I made the asteroids move .2 each time the were told to move, but there are 10 on each side and they are chosen randomly to move, so this is why there is a lurching effect XD
I was thinking about making them be able to move diagonally but this being my first game I tried to not confuse myself to much! Plus I figured 300 lines of code was pretty decent for my first game and didn't want to put to much effort into my first game and then end up messing it up.

To address your concern about the file size, I have no idea how to compress them OR put them into a ZIP file so this is why I did it the way I did.

My High Score: 147

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 02:32 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2009 02:34
decent for a first game; i quit after about 2 mins as there was no end in sight. not a whole lot of challenge here, unless you were working the "enui effect" maybe try adding 0.1 to the asteroid speed every 15-20 seconds to get some blood pumping?

all of what thatother person said applies, and your next game better have sound!

and, here's a screenshot so your first-ever PA thread doesn't get shut down before all can bathe in its splendor!

seriously, tho. keep up the good work.

thanks for sharing!

Attachments

soysauce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 03:19
Quote: "i quit after about 2 mins as there was no end in sight. not a whole lot of challenge here"
I know there is not much challenge and that is why I was thinking about adding diagonal Asteroids, but for now it is what it is
and what is the "enui effect" you were talking about? Anyways thanks for the feedback, and I hope to have sound in the next one also, i guess I blanked it on this one

ThatOther Person
Years of Service
User Offline
ennui
–noun
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom: The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui.

from dictionary.com

Things like Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors' Desert Bus are definitely a challenge... lol

Winrar is free and fast and it will group together and compress files.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

As the name suggests the format that its really made primarily to create and open is rar but you can also use it with most other similar formats of compressed files.

If you have Windows XP (or presumably also vista or Windows 7) then you should already be setup to work with zip files. zip isn't quite as good for compression as rar but will still lower the download size a bit and will do just as good a job of accomplishing the goal of grouping files together for the sake of convenience. Just drop everything you want to zip into a folder, right click on it, select send to and then select compressed (zipped) folder.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 07:17
rats, i spelled it wrong. i hate when i do that.

soysauce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 22:07
hah thanks for all the support working on another 2D game now, hope to be done before christmas!

Echo5
Years of Service
User Offline
This is definitely good for a first game! I have yet to release one! And I've had TGC products for year's! Keep up the good work!

Print "DarkBASIC 4 Life"
Wait Key

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:42:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:42:31