Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Texture Max Error. Can't use product... :-(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2009 16:42
Hey, don't know if anyone else has experienced this. I'm trying to load a DDS texture in texture max and I just get
Error 5105 : memblock position outside range at line 1811

The texture is a DDS DXT1 file with no alpha channel. I've tried it with and without mipmaps and in all sizes from 128x128 up to 512x512.

Same error for all textures in my game.

Running WindowsXP SP2. If I can't load any of my textures then this was a total waste...

I want robotic legs.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 04:05
Hi Butter Fingers,
I'll try to get some time to look into this for you soon. I'm not sure what the problem is at the moment. Sorry for the trouble!

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 10:53
Thanks ron!

I want robotic legs.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 14:20
Techlord,

I thought this problem sounded familiar.
I've always offered good support for my plugins. You caught me at a bad time last year. I apologise for not getting this done for you and forgetting about you. Twice. Unfortunately, sometimes life happens.

I am looking into this. Things are again a bit hectic at the moment with Christmas approaching quickly. I will have some time off work soon and I will try to get to the bottom of this.

As a temporary fix, I would reccomend converting your textures to a bitmap. Use that image to load into TextureMax. Since the Texturemax file that you save carries all of the image information, it effectively becomes your texture anyway. So, it doesn't matter what the original format was.

In all honesty, I would really like to completely re-write Texturemax. I've learned much, much better ways to accomplish the same things now and I'd love to apply it to this plugin. Also, the editor is not something that I am even close to happy with now and it could use a complete re-write. That is the BEST option. I will have to see how things play out in the near future and see if I can work that in.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 17:39 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 17:42
Hi Ron, I've moved to DGDK. There is no freely available TextureMax or similar for DGDK, so I was inspired to develop my own solution, the Channelized Image Map Processor (CHIMP) based on how think TextureMAX Application & API works. The steps below are based on how I think TextureMax works and you are more than welcomed to interrupt, hehe.

The TextureMax Application is basically a Drawing App that allows you 1) Load the Texture Image as a backdrop; 2) Create image map of virtual channels specified by a separate color; 3) You paint the image map pixel-by-pixel in specified channel color; 4) When painting is complete you export the image map with the information on the texture, channel and pixel data in the TMX format. 5) When Loading TMX, TextureMAX creates separate image memblocks per channel to draw texture pixels defined by the channel and pixel data within the TMX format. 6) With the texture separated into channel images you modify the color of each individually using API commands.

The above is all theory and I really don't know how TextureMax works, but, if its slightly correct, then it may be possible to use any full-powered layer-based Drawing software (Photoshop, Paint.net, GIMP) to output a `Channel` Image Map (CHIMP). The CHIMP would consist of 2 or more solid color areas to represent channels. The CHIMP Importer, would load both the texture and channel image map, than create separate image memblocks based pixel colors in the channel image map and draw the texture pixels based on corresponding pixels in the channel imagemap.

Left: Texture. Right: Channel Image Map. The Channel Image Map was drawn with GIMP using 2 layers: 1)image map (top layer), 2)texture backdrop (bottom layer). By simply adjusting the opacity on layer 1, I was able to use the toolbox to draw several different colored channels within a few minutes. When complete, hide the texture backdrop, set layer 1 opacity to 100%, and save the image map layer in desired DB compatible image format.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 03:53
TechLord,
Yes. It does work similar to that.
I had thought about directly supporting something like GIMP to create the seperate channels. I would like to update TextureMax to support doing this. I still think I need to offer an "ot-of-the-box" solution too, so my editor still needs a nice update even if I would do something like that.
One thing that you will want to do is allow some kind of blending. Right now, you will notice very "hard" edges around the perimiter of your painted channel areas. This will look really bad! TextureMax will allow you to put any pixel on two seperate channels (a "main" channel and a "blend" channel). This will allow the edge pixels to be blended between the two channel colors.
A better solution (and another thing that I would like to add to texturemax) is to use a alpha value. So, any edge pixels can have a value of 0 to 255. Zero will have no influence of the given channel. 255 will have 100% influence of the given channel.
I am currently doing something like that with my Character model maker app that I am working on. The texturing portion started out with something similar to TextureMax and has evolved greatly from there.
If you continue to work on CHIMP and have any questions or need any advice, feel free to e-mail me.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 09:19
Quote: "If you continue to work on CHIMP and have any questions or need any advice, feel free to e-mail me."
Ron, thanks for the suggestions on blending/alpha. Have you considered releasing TextureMAX for GDK?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 16:40
No problems.
I had considered making TextureMax available for GDK. The main problem is that it never really gained much interest. So, it was hard for me to justify the time involved in doing so. If/when I get a good update finished for TextureMax, I will also look at releasing for GDK. I can't say when that will happen though.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:50
Its unfortunate that TextureMAX didn't receive the welcome it deserves. Its a very powerful APP & API that instantly adds variation and customization features to a game.

I can visualize many other uses for a system like TextureMAX. It can be put to use anywhere images/textures are used: Particles, bitmap fonts, etc. I can also visualize additional image filter effects being employed with channels.

IMO TextureMAX is one the most unique and plug-ins offered, maybe even too unique. Perhaps a RPG Character example would have been more appealing?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 14:49
TechLord,
That was my vision as I was making it. Sometimes things don't happen the way you expect though. Thanks for the compliments on it. It gives me a bit of motivation to breath some new life into the product.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 12:55 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 12:57
Quote: "Thanks for the compliments on it. It gives me a bit of motivation to breath some new life into the product"
Awesome!!!

When I combine CHIMP with Modular Entity Construction Sets (MECS) in S3GE, Customization will be redefined *** insert evil laugh here ***

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 22:56
Hi Ron,

I can only echo what's been written above. A reworked TextureMax that works with layers/an updated editor would be much appreciated! Keep up the good work.

Tony Davis
www.crytek.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:31:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:31:50