Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Indigo (DBPro IDE Alternative) - Preview

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 17:29 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 22:58

After many months of prep, coding, and testing, a preview of Indigo is warranted. As many may already know from reading the BlueIDE 2 thread, I have stopped working on BlueIDE 2 in favor of an IDE wrote in something newer then VB6 and workes consistently on XP, Vista, and 7. With that, here is a list of features and a screenshot.

• Dockable Windows
• Reset Dock layout to original layout
• Cut, Copy, Paste (including across tabs)
• Compile Only, Compile & Run, Run Last Compile
• Able to work with source while compiling
• Concatenation
... Able to select concatenation symbol(s)
• Ctrl + Scroll = Zoom (Resize font size in current source window)
• Auto-Suggest for Keywords and User Defined Attributes (Functions, Labels, Variables, and Constants)
• Auto-Suggest for User Defined Types
• Auto-Complete Parenthesis
• Auto-Complete Quotes
• Status bar with:
... Line #
... Column #
... Current Keyword information
• Help Window refreshes with current Keyword information
• Keyword information Tooltip (DBPro Keywords, User Functions, Variables, and Constants)
• Global Find and Replace (all source files, open or not)
• Goto Line
... Enter Project line number and Indigo opens the Include and highlights the line
• Line folding for functions, labels, types, for / next, remstart / remend, select / endselect, case / endcase, if / endif
• Fold All Lines [Alt + 0] / Unfold All Lines [Alt + Shift + 0]
• Multiline Commenting:
... RemStart/RemEnd (select to auto fold if using this option)
... `
... //
• Crtl+Tab and Crtl+Shift+Tab to Navigate Source Tabs

Still need to add some functionality but all is going well.

Special thanks to tiresius, Olby, and Tone Dialer for testing.

Regards,

Coming soon: Indigo a DBPro IDE alternative
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 17:52
Very nice. I'm currently using Synergy and it looks pretty similar
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 19:16
Looks like I'm in for some real competition. Looks nice though.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 19:33
Garion,
Thank you, yes Synergy was one source of inspiration, as was BlueIDE 2 and CodeSurge.

Quote: "Looks like I'm in for some real competition."

I think we've (CodeSurge, Synergy, and BlueIDE) all provided positive motivation for each other. I do look forward to test driving CS2 when it comes out.

Regards,

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 10:30 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 11:46
Looks very nice, particularly the #include following and edit-while-compiling features.

Here's hoping that this and Codesurge competition becomes ever more heated as time progresses, resulting in some of the best DBP IDEs evar.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 16:10
BearCDP2,

Thank you. I believe that 2010 is going to be good (or interesting) year for the DBPro IDE choices.

Quote: "particularly the #include following "

I'm wondering what you mean by "#include"? I may have worded something wrong in my first post. Could you please explain what you're referring to or thought what you thought Indigo was capable of?

Regards,

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 16:13 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 16:14
Looks very cool, I'd love to try it out!

Out of curiosity, what language did you write this in, and what code editor did you use?

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 16:47 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 16:49
Diggsey,

It's wrote in C++, C#, and VB.net 2008. I'm using some open source controls (Scintilla for the code window, and a VS2005Extender dll for the docking) but the logic is mostly in Indigo.

I am using Visual Studio 2008.

(check your email late Monday (eastern time zone) - provided that your posted address works )

Regards,

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 16:51 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 16:52
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't indigo like rgb(255,0,255):

Indigo IDE

not rgb(0,0,255):

This should surely be called BlueIDE? - Which already exists...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
(255,0,255) is magenta. The colour indigo is a sort of dark purplish blue, so Balid's image is closer to that than yours is. And the dye indigo is just basically blue, as you will know if you have ever seen a pair of blue jeans, which are dyed with indigo.
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 17:38
C0wbox,

LOL.

Quote: "The colour indigo is a sort of dark purplish blue"
Plotinus is in the right direction.

Depending on where you go for definitions, Indigo can be considered a "Dark Blue", or a color between blue and violet. But I took the color of the Indigo Bunting as a reference for coloring Indigo the DBPro IDE Alternative. Then there's the name play of course.

Regards,

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 17:40 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 17:42

It still looks more blue than indigo to me...
And the Wiki for indigo says:
rgb(75,0,130)
rgb(102,0,255)
rgb(138,43,226)
rgb(75,0,130)
rgb(0,65,106)
(Depending on which type of indigo you feel like being indigo)

But all of them are quite far from rgb(0,0,255)

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 17:42 Edited at: 8th Dec 2009 05:27
Quote: "It still looks more blue than indigo to me... "

It's does to me too.

[edit]removed rubish[/edit]

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 19:06

C0wbox,
How's that?

Regards,

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 22:07
@ Balid
!
Much better xD

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 22:56
Amazing what changing the glow on something does for it's overall appearance.

I'm glad you like it. I actually was wondering if anyone was going to bring up the fact the coloring was in the blue range.

(the splash screen is probably going to change before the full release and may be before the demo release.)

Regards,

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 04:19 Edited at: 20th Dec 2009 04:24
I have been testing Indigo since very early on (might make me heavily biased) but I must say I really enjoy using this IDE. So here is my opinion on things.

If anybody has a good sized project (>5k lines) or plans on making a project that large you are in for a treat. Indigo is fast, even in projects that have many (400+) constants.

But the main reason I like Indigo is that it makes my code look 'perty'. There are more highlighting options in Indigo than any other IDE, I believe. Here is a screenie to show what I mean...

I use syntax highlighting to check for variable/constant name and function typos. It saves me a lot of time since DBPro doesn't care what you name a variable and will be happy to use whatever you type instead of what you intended!

Of course the use of UDTs can help solve this problem since the existence of a in-type variable is checked by the parser. This is another place where Indigo does a great job of showing suggestions for UDT in-type variables. I never have to bounce back between the code and the UDT definition to see if it should be posX or xPos! This saves me even more time than the syntax highlighting.

I hope you all enjoy the trial that Balid will be putting out soon, as much as I've enjoyed testing this IDE.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If anybody has a good sized project (>5k lines) or plans on making a project that large you are in for a treat"

My current project is 95% complete and is currently 15k lines. After testing Codesurge, synergy, and BlueIDE I chose Codesurge as it was more based on my style of programming, but this does look nice.

It truly will be a battle between this and CS2.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 19:47
Quote: "Quote: "particularly the #include following "
I'm wondering what you mean by "#include"? I may have worded something wrong in my first post. Could you please explain what you're referring to or thought what you thought Indigo was capable of?"

That's in reference to your "Goto Line" bullet point, from what you wrote it sounded like if say you get a compiler error on a specific line you can use this feature to go to that line even if it's in a different source file. Amirite? The lack of a reliable form of that feature in current IDEs is what keeps me from writing in DBP more than DarkGDK.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 23:09 Edited at: 20th Dec 2009 23:16
BearCDP,

Yes, you are right. But the Include file has to be part of the DBPro 'Project' and not done as it is in DBC with '#Include". Though I have toyed around with the idea of supporting that. If there's enough demand for it, I will have that as an update to Indigo.

Regards,

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 23:20
All I really need is to have it included in the DBPro project. Does anyone use the #include feature really, except for maybe code snippets that they don't want cluttering up their own project?

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 23:49 Edited at: 20th Dec 2009 23:51
Quote: "Does anyone use the #include feature really"

I haven't in a long time. I did for part of my first DBPro project (but quickly stopped for obvious reasons). But if someone is using that technique it would throw off the line count. And the "Goto Line" command would go to the wrong line, if the user was expecting to go to the '#Include' file.

Regards,

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 01:12 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 01:12
@Bear,
CodeSurge has done that for a long time already. Search -> Goto Project Line Number.

I've also considered supporting this with the #include command, but it seems that just might cause more problems than it's worth. I remember seeing Lee say that #include wasn't recommended, and that you should use the IDE. You also get full intellisense support across all your files if you include them with the IDE.

Quote: "It truly will be a battle between this and CS2."

Competition drives innovation.

CodeSurge
Version 2 coming soon!
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:29
Quote: "CodeSurge has done that for a long time already."

Remember, so has BlueIDE 2 and possibly Synergy. I probably forgot those because this is the Indigo thread, but I might be wrong.

Regards,

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 05:55
But, would it let you know what line number was what when you were editing? Sometimes, mainly with Synergy (I never really tried it with CodeSurge), it just didn't work reliably. Maybe I'll try reinstalling that . . .

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't wait for this. I have used Blue since it first came out and have been very happy with it. Of course there is always room for improvement and Blue is no exception. Will follow this closely.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2009 20:33
Same here. I tried them all 2 years ago, and have used Blue ever since. This looks very promising.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:26:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:26:45