Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Multiplayer coordinates

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 16:30
Heyyy, I've been programming my first multiplayer online game, I managed to create a basic IM to start with and have now converted it into a very simple 2D game. Could someone help with the sending and receiving other player coordinates please, I tried using Memblocks but it wont seem to work.

Thanks Malb.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 16:37
How much programming experience do you have - with DB and before?

TDK

Malboro Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:22
Oops I just realised that this was waiting approval.

I don't have a lot of experience with DB but I've been practising the commands for a few months now. If you could give me a little push in the right direction would be greatful
Thanks =]
Malboro Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:24
Oh other lanuages: I'm pretty fluent in flash actionscript and I know basic Java
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:37
The only reason I ask is that the term "multiplayer online game" always starts alarm bells ringing - especially if it's a newcomer and it's their first project.

They aren't the best genre of game to write as a first project and you'll get loads of people jumping in the thread telling you this.

It's not quite as bad if you've previous 3D game programming experience, but it's still no easy task. Even experienced DB programmers struggle with these and off hand I can't think of a single one which has ever been completed.

What are you using for MP - the in-built commands or a plug-in?

TDK

Malboro Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 13:36
Built in, I'm just having problems sending memblocks back and forth. For some reason they're not being read.

BTW I'm 18 and still relitively new to programming but I just seem to be very skilled at it, my lecturers couldn't beleive I managed to set up an IM =P, apparantly I'm the first student ever to do it =].
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 00:40
Quote: "my lecturers couldn't beleive I managed to set up an IM =P, apparantly I'm the first student ever to do it"

At your school maybe

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 02:57
Haha don't shoot him down Phaelax! let him have his fun

New Site! Check it out \/
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 09:53
My java instructor told me an IM client at our level would be too difficult. Congrats to you Jones.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 22:20
Ah... the old days!

I wrote my first IM server and client around 12 years ago and my son wrote one of the more popular Yahoo IM clients around 6 or 7 years ago.

TDK

Malboro Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 19:58
Lolol, Sorry I've been gone so long, anyway I fixed it myself =] just did a bit of tinkering and I got it working last week, Just a little problem, the names of the players aren't showing in correct places and are different for everyone =S but I'm happy with it for now, it was just messing about anyway. Thanks though =P

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:59:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:59:43