Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Cubic Sphere

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 02:54 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 03:00
The newsletter for last month inspired be so I went ahead and made my own:

Textured

Wireframe

I'm still working on a pseudo-culling thing to hide polygons facing the wrong way, seeing as how I've learned backface culling only works with static objects. The sphere is one multi-limbed object and contains a specifiable number of "layers" to switch between in order to increase or decrease the mesh sub-divisons for different levels of detail ( using a quad-tree type system ). I'll post the source when I fix the culling if anyone is interested in trying it out, but you would need to make your own functions for heightmapping and what-not.

Newsletter article: http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_82.html#14

Attachments

Login to view attachments
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 02:55
Wireframe

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 11:28
Quite interesting indeed
I wonder how this cubic sphere treats the regular cylindrical maps or which is the right way to texture it.
Stepping beyond, I also wonder about spheric oblateness (shrink the original Y axis) and if it can be done.
Nice work so far
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 17:06
Its not textured with a single image, each face takes one image that all the limbs in that face's branch will use. And the function map I use from the cube to the sphere is a continues map of R3. Instead of scaling the vectors on the cube, they are transformed to the equation of a sphere with the radius of the original cube. It would be easy to modify the function and create ellipsoids.

insert name
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 02:46
could you mind explaining "they are transformed to the equation of a sphere with the radius of the original cube"?

i tried doing this by scaling the cube's vectors but it came out somewhat distorted

by the quad-tree system do you mean each mesh is split into 4 separate meshes as you progress through the "layers"?

if your trying to build a world i found a link on the forum that you might like
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_landsp.htm

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 18:42:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 18:42:17