Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I need help - FAST! (bored)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
okay i am new to DarkGDK and am hoping some of you out there can help me. following are the problems facing me when i tried to make a test fps game.
- Crosshair! i tried to make the crosshair come out by using the codes dbLoadImage and dbPasteImage! it works if there are no other objects on the black screen but when i load or make another object, for example dbMakeObjectCube, the crosshair is no where to be seen.
- how do you show FPS? i tried the command before void DarkGDK ( void FPS) but it doesnt work
- how do i load an object (for example the sample ColonelX.X) and control it using whatever keys i designate?

any help is welcome! thanks in advance.

Yseeg!
bloodmage2
Years of Service
User Offline
well for starters you should replace pasteimage with dbsprite.
for key control, find the mappings of teh keys somewhere, do an if statement for each key, and do a dbMoveObjectLeft/Right/ /Up/Down, based on what key is pressed.
for fps, it may not work, but you can make the system wait until the system time is divisble by 1000, then add 1 to a number during every loop, and when the system time is agani divisible by 1000, store that number in a separate variable, then when you want to retreive it, make a function that returns that value.

-to the optimist, the glass is half full. to the pessimist, it is half empty, to the engineer, it is twice as big as it needs to be.
Willie Mundermuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
I think tgc should start a sticky thread specifically addressing new people and how to get started. There are dozens "I'm new... how do you..... ?" threads created a week. The same questions get asked and answered over and over and over and over and over and over..... Perhaps a "I'm New FAQ" section is in order. I'm serious. I think it would be of much benefit to beginners if there were an easy to find section just for them. I would have LOVED that when I began!
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 15:01
Willie: I think this is a direct consequence of the GDK and Visual Studio Express being easier to download than to learn.
Willie Mundermuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Agreed.

Life would be easier if I had the source code.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:32:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:32:52