Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Project Started . this is a new beginig, when old and simple feels real.

Author
User Banned
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 14:42
hello everyone.
i am launching my project.
i have thought about it for so long , i cant even remmeber when i started thinking upon it.

Project Name : Started (WIP).
Project Feaures: A simple Game Engine with an IDE based on DarkGDK.

it will be a StandAlone App , with a Royalty Free Lisence to do what ever you want with it.

from Racing and Sports to Massive Multiplayer Action Games, while not including Massive Multiplayer RPG like World of Warcraft (at least not for start)

the Name Started , comes from the long time waited to think and realize what should i build? should i build just one game?
or should i build 5 games all relaying on the same SIMPLE engine?

so Started is termed in the past as it was started a long time ago , just didnt have a name..

Key Features :
Matrix Editing (Simple) / (Advanced)
Matrix Texturing (Simple) / (Advanced)
Sound Editing (Simple)
--- Visual Wave Editing
Entity Editing (Simple)
--- Visual Script programming
Ai Editing (Simple but Advanced)
--- Visual Ai Scripts programming
Evolutonary Ai Editing (Simple but Advanced)
--- Visual Evolution Algorithems (this will require a lot of but i do understand how it works .. so its all good , just may take some time.. but just think about it , an Ai bot which will Hit you and then Hide , or once it "Sees" you , it will run and run and run until it will have a good spot to be hidden and to shot you , and you won't even see it.. and once you spotted it? maybe it will make a Distraction and then run again find another spot to hide , then wait for you like a hunter waiting for its pray..... well i didnt say that the Difficulty is simple

Multiplayer - up 2 how much player can a PC today do? hmm intersting

a lot more to come
just remmeber , i keep it as simple as it can get.

here is some pics after just a few days of 3D programming using DarkGDK.

the Editor :

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 05:16 Edited at: 13th Dec 2009 05:18
a better Key Features:

Landscape - Using Matrixes for now (Waiting for BlitzTerrain RT update in C++ DarkGDK)
Simple 3D Editor - IDE
Simple Sound Editor - Creating Sound Waves from Scratch and with ease.
Simple Ai - Ai will be based on normal PathFinding with an option
to Evo Ai - which will take the Simple Ai and Evo itself to be better (may require some good and strong CPU to simulate it)
Inside Importers - X,3DS.. etc (mainstream 3D models)

Shaders - hopefully someday i will understand how they work

so , as i explained earlier , im not the best Programmer , it takes time to learn ..
the idea of SGE is to keep things simple so even an Eight year old child to 50 yeard old man can use SimpleGameEngine to Create Simple Games while not thinking too much on how to code this and how to do that...

Plus , the EVO ai , will make it even easier for some serious AI behavior with out coding anything (there will be an optional Coding for the Ai) but it will be good enough.

in mind , a full Simple Model Builder inside the IDE
All of the above will have a Visual Interface, no coding what so ever is needed.

Physics, like shaders , this is something i do not yet fully understand , nor i have a pc to support that yet.

Scripts - for now , non will be used, it will be written all with C++ and DarkGDK , and again this is something i dont really understand about , but when i tried to make some Algos and stuff it all was good plus making Time Based actions .. and still all good. pherhaps Scripts will run faster .. but i do not know that..

Log:
its 6 AM now , and i really need to take the Dogs out (got 6)
im that wierdo with the dogs....

Task for Today - Started (SGE) Editor - Interface and Matrix / Cameras / Textures devide into Classes \ Headers \ CPP.
so actually Completing Started Editor InterFace.
Plus Creating a Temp Logo, I wish i had my Wabcom near me
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
there is a WIP forum
also look into a heightmap creator (that would be useful)

looks good so far =)

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 14:16
Looks nice!
But I see lots of things like these recently.
My advice: Make games - not engines.

But if you stick to it: Keep up the good work!

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 15:33
Quote: "Make games - not engines."

Why? Making games is a pretty linear process. Making engines means you have to use many areas of programming expertise, and even though many people wont use your engine, at least you will be a better programmer.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 16:55
not only that , once the engine is done
and i want to present something , i want to build something
it takes much less time..

lets say my little brother has an idea for a game..
i teach him the engine IDE and not the Code.. he wont learn the code
but if he will see it as simple as that..
he will sure to atleast try it and give it a thought.
Started is a Project that i have dreamed about for a long time.
with it i can build games and not a game.

plus teaching my self and others all kind of stuff ,
plus maybe give me an oppritunity in the gaming industry as i dont have any degree ... and maybe even one day open my own Game Company..
who knows?

after looking and thinking what should i do , a game engine , is the best way for me to moveon faster then a game.

and with it , games will come, better funnier and most important my own.
MACRO
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys have checked the licence agreement haven't you?

From the way I read section 1.4 of the commercial GDK licence the use of GDK and associated libraries to create/distribute other engines would appear to be prohibited.

Tool sets to make development in the engine easier are probably a different matter but the line between a local tool to ease development of your private projects and an attempt to wrap their existing functionality into a "new" engine is quite thin and grey especially once you start looking to release it.

Just worth giving some thought.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 18:42
ohh i didnt know that ...
well the release of it , will be free
but the game that will be built with it , will cost if one wants...

i actually dont see any legal problem with that.. since its a freeware , but still i will have a look at the documentry.

ty for notcing.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 20:04
Quote: ""Make games - not engines."

Why? Making games is a pretty linear process. Making engines means you have to use many areas of programming expertise, and even though many people wont use your engine, at least you will be a better programmer."

Yes you're right and please don't get me wrong - don't want to criticise anybody here. I thought about all these a lot...
What I do now is like this:
Basically I work on my current game-project and whenever I develop something useful and modular, I copy the class/function to my engine project (which works like a code-library like this). And that way both the engine and the game are "under development"
There may be more efficient ways, but because I'm more like an artist then just a programmer, I can keep my workflow going and produce some art/content.
I just couldn't keep myself motivated just writing an engine, so I have lots of respect for people who get there engines done.

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 23:21
i know exactly what you mean!!
sometimes working on one thing , is not only confusing as i dont know most of the stuff and it takes a lot of time to learn , so the motivation just fall.. and then im saying ok , lets do some icons and some sprites that i will need later on..

Started SGE , was started after a long time trying to build 2D games , and each time one game at a time, but it was super difficult , so ive left it , and now working in 3D is awesome , its just super fun and im getting familier with Blender and overall 3D , so for now my motovation is high , super high.

but sometimes when its hard.. its just confusing , so im thinking about games i can build with the engine while finishing it , cause once its done i want to have a game ready or at least the overall idea of the game / models / menu / sprites/ textures.. everything
so its a step by step but it keeps the motivation high.

i hope i will be able to share more photos and maybe a video of my engine to you guys , it is really cool , its very simple to understand and use , and im planning on a hugh Ai development , so if one of you will use the Engine to build a game , you won't have to worry about Ai's cause they will already be awesome , all you have to do , is assign goals and Flag Points XYZ , to move from one point to another , and depends on the game you make , deviding them into Team / Squads/ Frieds.. or Foes..
and they will do it all automaticly, ofcourse you will be able to change some but not the basic, so i must make sure that the basic is awesome and is fun to play with.

Started
Simple Game Engine
Creator: Nadav Rosenberg

have a good night.
talk to you tommarow

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:20:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:20:21