Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Exporting animations from Maya

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I use maya to create my models and animations.
I export the model using maya OBJ Exporter and i convert it to
a directX file (.x) using milkshape 3D.
I can load the model just fine but every time I use the OBJ Exporter I lose all skeleton and animation information.
Can someone tell me what's the best way to convert a file from maya to directX while preserving the animations and the skeleton information ?

THanks
B++
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 13:37
Obj is a static mesh and it does not include any information regarding bone and animation while exporting. There are no useable x file exporter available for maya, I afraid. But you can use the exporter that comes with directX SDK.
There is another x file exporter available for maya provided by a game engine(I downloaded that but hv not used that yet), I don't remember the name, since I am not on my computer.
Everyone says that directX SDK has the best x file exporter. Srry, but I would not be able to tell about this anything. Bcos I don't use it either.
If you want you can try this.

Regards

Your Signature Here;
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 15:27
I had this problem for a while too. I tried using CVXporter, which would export animations that would play in DirectXViewer, but it would fail to load in DBPro. I'm not sure of your purposes, but you might try that and see if it works. The only way I could get an animated model to run in DBPro from Maya was to export it as FBX, import it into 3DS Max, and then use the Panda .X exporter from there and it would load perfectly.

I will live forever or die trying.
My game blog
B++
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 16:00 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 16:13
@Venge:
Quote: " The only way I could get an animated model to run in DBPro from Maya was to export it as FBX, import it into 3DS Max, and then use the Panda .X exporter from there and it would load perfectly."

thanks for the information. that is what i m also doing accept, I m modeling in maya, animating in 3d max and than exporting as x with panda x exporter.
I will try this too

Regards

Your Signature Here;

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 00:26:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 00:26:13