Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / I am doing a school proj. help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 04:36 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 01:28
Ok let me start off with I am very very sorry. i was in a hurry for work when i made the post so i will edit it now.

Ok so i am in a programming class. I have done an awesome job at completing my game the way its supposed to be made.
But now i wish to go beyond course requirements.

my first problem was making collision boxes on a second floor in the game... what i mean by this is i have the main floor then i have stairs to a second floor, but i cannot seem to get my collision code to work right for the second floor and u just fall through it.

and my second problem i solved today in class, sort of i want to put a rotating texture on the can.
`the can is a can of soda that u play as. its brand is carbonade.
`thus the game name carbonade
so i guess what i am trying to say is can some help explain to me how to create floors above floors like in buildings.
and if u can even can have rotating textures on the object that u play as and how.

there hopefully its easier to read now. and i read the sticky and i will try to follow the rules to the best of my ability's.

um not in the mood to make a kool pic

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 14:15
Why not try posting that message again, but in English so we can actually understand what your problem is.

I read it quite a few times and all I know for certain is that you are 'in a programming class' and you are a 'noob'.

I suggest that you read the stickies at the top of this board and in particular, look at the ones marked as tutorials.

There's also a button marked 'Search' up in the top right corner. (You can often find answers yourself much quicker than waiting for someone else to answer your post - if they can understand them that is)!

TDK

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 14:45 Edited at: 17th Dec 2009 14:45
Ah TDK, so friendly even in the face of the fearsome noobmonster.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 21:52
i think he wants a second ghosted cylinder for the shine on the can.
either that or he wants to buy a goat.

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 22:00
I'm with TDK on this one, I can't figure out what this kid is saying. It's like he took random fragments from other posts and mashed them together in random order. I know we might sound harsh, but how can one expect to learn a programming language when they have yet to master their native tongue?

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 23:36
Don't take everyone's comments too badly kid - there are strict anti-flaming laws on these boards, so as soon as a mod leads the way, everyone's going to pile in for a quick kick - "well they can't ban us for that..."

On the other hand, rereading your original post (which I thought I almost understood at first), my sole reply must be "wotchoo chattin baht?"

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 01:06
What??? Are you accusing me of flaming???

[Grabs TGC Forum rule book to see if accusing a mod is a good enough reason to ban a forum user.. ]

TDK

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 01:21
Even though Jakester570's avatar is coca cola English is certainly not his first language. Or, our schools in USA are really, really getting bad with teaching English as a first language.

I'm sure you will get some help, Jakester570, if you can actually tell us what difficulties you are having and what the question is.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames
Jakester570
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks flatlander. but i am from central Wisconsin lots of rednecks around here. i am smart than one but type like a dumb a$$ u cant really tell a persons personality by the way they type you know.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Or, our schools in USA are really, really getting bad with teaching English as a first language. "

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the possibility that our public school system here in the US sucks. I met a 6th grader once who thought that the correct spelling of the word "blue" was "bloo"

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Jakester570
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah well i went to one school and was toldt to spell school "shcool" then went to a new school 4years later and was corrected. lol fail

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 09:27
Quote: "i am smart than one but type like a dumb a$$ "

What did you say?

OK, if your typing sucks, I can buy that. It's hard to type quickly with one finger when you're in a hurry. I understand. I'll look at your revised first post again tomorrow.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 20:41 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 20:42
Your second attempt was much better!

In a hurry myself at the moment and the second floor level problem needs a bit of time to answer (I'll have a go later when I get back if no-one else beats me to it).

As for the rotating textures, you can't rotate, but you can scroll them on the X and Y axis using the Scroll Object Texture command.

The only thing you won't find immediately obvious about the command in the help files is that DB treats the whole texture as 1.0 units in size on both axis.

So, if you scroll by the value of 1 you won't see any scrolling at all. If you scroll by .1 there will be 10 steps before the complete texture has scrolled over the object.

For smooth scrolling, just experiment with values starting around 0.001 and check out the difference. It does however depend on where the scroll command is called in your program as to the final scroll speed.

TDK

Jakester570
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks TDK, its a bummer i cant have the rotating texture but oh well

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 04:44:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 04:44:33