Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / The American Dream Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 12:12
(Moved from DarkGDK.Net Board)

Hello everyone!

I am working on a project at the moment, called the American Dream. Its going to be an online socialization kind of thing, and I hope to expand it to rpg later on after the first stage.

I have written a game design document for it or at least, I'm 3 fifths of the way complete. (If you would like a copy, then hit me up on MSN messenger, or send me an email to my hotmail - better to send an email actually...)

Now, the reason that I am asking for help here, is because the guy who was doing the programming for the game originally was unable to continue, because of real-life work mounting up etc, and said that he wouldn't be able to restart perhaps late January.
I would like to get a bit more of the programming done, in conjunction with the modelling I have been doing, and so I am wondering (hoping) whether any DarkGDK programmers would be interested in picking up from where Will left off? He sent me all the original code, and it will be ready to use instantly.

I shall post some renders from what I have in the next couple of posts.

Cheers all

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 12:13
Another industrial building

Attachments

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 12:14
One of the work-in-progress gas stations.

Attachments

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 12:21
The current city map. This is merely a screeshot taken from above the wip city. I shall obviously create a better map later on, when all the streets are in and so on.

Note: the map has changed significantly since this screenie was taken - a week ago. Changes include proper bridges, concrete dockings along the river between the commerical and industrial sectors, more buildings added to both commercial and industrials sectors, and I have created a sea placeholder. I have also refined the coastal sectors. (Shall attach a new piccie asap)

Attachments

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 12:27
And last but not least, an updated view of the work-in-progress Kedalberg city centre

Attachments

sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 14:55
Nice map and buildings.
That would also have good potential for a flight sim game, with one team of players attacking selected targets on that map, and the other team of players trying to defend the map and targets.
Good luck with the project.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 20:39
The models look great but your game idea is very vague, its going to take a programmer a long time to complete your socialization thing, I think a bit more detail on your idea would be good.
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 21:08
Yes, as I said in the post, if you wish to look at the game design document, then I shall send it to you once you have sent me an email. Any game design document is precious to its owner, in my opinion.

Though, would it be better to just upload it here?.....I'm not sure...

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 22:51
Ok sod it - I'll upload it here for people to see. Do bear in mind though that some of the sections are either incomplete or not started, so it isn't the finished product, so to speak.

It's in Word 1997-2003 format, so you should be able to open it. If not, send me an email and I'll send you the type you need.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 00:10
Thats pretty cool and kudos to you for taking the time to plan it all out.

From a programmers perspective though this is huge, too ambitious for me. I think you may need a team of dedicated programmers and alot of spare time.

Good luck though.
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 00:17
But the thing is, a lot of programming has already been done by a single person - the original programmer. He is keeping all of the code until he hopes to come back, but I just need someone to help me out, in his place, either until he comes back, or as a permanent member of the team.
I would offer to send you the code, to show how much ahas been done Matty, but I have no idea how I would

You say this is too ambitious for you - this is not something to jump straight into, it is a gradual slide from a basic multiplayer with chat, to an online social chat, to then progress onto game-play elements. It is not as ambitious as it sounds, don't worry.

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 02:14
I am still in need of a programmer, FYI

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 09:54
Hi baconboy2. I read your DD. Looks good. I have some questions
Quote: " picking up from where Will left off? He sent me all the original code, and it will be ready to use instantly.
He is keeping all of the code until he hopes to come back, but I just need someone to help me out, in his place, either until he comes back, or as a permanent member of the team."

what's needed in the engine?

Quote: "socialization kind of thing, and I hope to expand it to rpg later on after the first stage."
Does the game interface to a social website?

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 14:15
@Techlord: Thanks for reading it, I thought no-one was interested!

Not being a programmer, I couldn't tell you in depth what he has done, but I can tell you what I understand....
He sent me three files, called Main.cpp, player_class.h and city_function.h. The player movement has been cracked, the loading of the mnap has been done, and I think he finished some code concerning a view field (the map is large, and so only the bits which are within the player's field of view will be rendered/loaded).
I would be happy to send you the code via email, if you want to take a look at it?..

Quote: "Does the game interface to a social website?"

What do you mean by that? Does it link to a social website by facebook you mean? If so, I have not had any plans to do such a thing, though it mayh be worth thinking about.

Add me to MSN if it would be easier, or send me an email

- baconboy2

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 17:08
When you say you have player_class.h and city_function.h, do you have the source files too? They would be player_class.cpp and city_function.cpp.

If not, I am working on a player class which would get your character models moving around for you.

Are you using 3DWS for your map? if so, are you using pixel perfects loader? I think that has object culling which is a must for a project like yours imo.
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 17:28
@Matty - I only have the .h files at the moment. I am unsure whether or not the programmer has the files, but I have emailed him and am awaiting a reply. However, he would have sent them anyway.
Thanks very much for your offer, and I would lokve to take you up on it, but alas, I would have no idea what to do with it!

And yes, I am using 3DWS, and no, I am not using the loader. I shall go and find it now I think !

Cheers

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 18:06
If you can get the loader up and running then your more than capable of using my player class.

You just include the files and do something like this:

Then in your loop put:

The only other requirement is that you put a text file with the animation frame data in the folder where you model is(see attached).

Now, obviously someone has already coded that for you so you don't need my code, but its there if you need ever need it.

Attachments

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 22:42
Hi all, the newly updated map from today. It may not seem like much progress has been made, but I have been working on particluar buildings with detail, and have had to reassess the situation a few times.

So yeah, the current map.

C+C welcome as usual

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:20:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:20:20