Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkPRINCIPLES for DarkGDK - Free video tutorials

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 08:30
Hi guys. I've created a new DarkGDK youtube channel, aimed at getting new users up to speed on the basic's of DarkGDK. The tutorials are in the same vane as my existing DarkPRINCIPLES tutorials for DarkBASIC Professional.

Website link:

www.darkprinciples.com look under game making tutorials

or visit the youtube channel directly

http://www.youtube.com/darkgamedeveloperkit

Tutorial Zero deals with installation and setup of Visual C++ and DarkGDK. It also demonstrates how to produce a simple Hello World! Console program.

Tutorial Zero.One deals with the common error Cannon open included file: 'd3dx9.h'

c:\program files (x86)\the game creators\dark gdk\include\darksdkcamera.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3dx9.h': No such file or directory

and demonstrates how to fix it.

Future tutorials include:

Basic program structure
Russian Roulette
Keyboard input
3D Spinning Cube
3D Collision and reaction
Basic Frogger
Pong 2D
and more...
zydeoN
Years of Service
User Offline
Good luck with that. It is a good idea
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2010 11:53 Edited at: 21st Jan 2010 11:54
Ok, I've reorganised the videos now into specific tutorials.

Tutorial Zero - Setup, installation and troubleshooting
Tutorial One - Basic Program compiling
Tutorial Two - Variables, arrays, types
Tutorial Three - Logic Processes.

The numbering system is organised into. Zero.One, Zero.Two, etc, Zero.Zero are always going to be introductory videos discribing the subject.

At presant only tutorials Zero and One are uploaded. You can catch them at www.youtube.com/darkgamedeveloperkit tutorial Two will be uploaded sometime next week. Three in the month after.

I'm intending to structure this, not as I did with my DarkBASIC Pro tutorials, which was basically tutorials on anything I felt like at the time. But rather a proper foundation course getting users to understand the core fundermentals of the kit before they rush off to write their games.

So if any more experienced C++ and DarkGDK users what to make suggestions, and recommendations as to what users really need to know. Please feel free to comment, post here or throw me an e-mail, all input appreshiated. Unless it's about my bad spelling which I don't care about much!
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for making this tutorial series, it will be really useful.

I would like to give you a suggestion. It would be good to have a tutorial, or a sticky, about deploying Dark GDK applications onto another computer, i.e. what you need to do to make your game work on your friend's machine. This question comes up from time to time and the usual answer on the forum is "copy the d3dx9_35.dll". We could use some more guidance.

At least, could you please confirm if the advice I was recently trying to give in this thread is legally and technically acceptable or not? I would like to be clear about this and don't want to mislead others either.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=164794&b=22

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 23:28:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 23:28:22