Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Ready to go.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I have a couple people ready to start a project, and we are really excited about using Darkbasic. We are using the trial version, and both have identical errors. We cant save any files (lack of permission) and it says we both are without direct x, which is not the case.

Hes running vista, and im in win7. We are considering buying this software, but its hard when the trial isnt working on either workstation. Any pointers?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 11:27
I think it might be a case of DBPro style compatibility - in DBPro we would turn off UAC and download DX9.0c.

Have you considered DBPro instead? - there's a free version and the code syntax is pretty much the same - the main thing is that it'll let you grow, as your skills grow you'll be able to do more with DBPro.

Sorry to the hardcore DBC fans, I only suggest DBPro because it seems like quite a big project and I'm dubious about DBC's compatibility with Vista+.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 11:35
You will have problems with the trial version unless it's v1.20, which was an update by someone on these forums to give better compatibility with Vista. You will also need to put d3drm.dll in your DarkBASIC folder and any other folders you use for it - this dll is needed for DB to work with Vista and above.

He might be right about DBP to be honest though - I'm a DBC fan, but that's only because I've had it for more than 7 years now - if you're starting out it's probably best to go with DBP because it's free... I'm not entirely sure of the limitations on the free version but might as well give it a bash.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2010 19:29
The only limitation of the free version of DBPro is that you can't sell what you make with it. You have to buy it in order to obtain the license for selling (unless TGC has an option to purchase a license separately?).

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 05:09 Edited at: 7th Jan 2010 05:10
Run DB.exe as administrator and it should work. Or just save to the desktop.

If you want to do this automatically, right click on db.exe, go to properties, go to the compatibility tab and check off "Run as Administrator." It should be the same in both Win7 and Vista.

Stygian
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I thought I had DBC but it turns out its the DBPro 30 day trial. How would I go about updating it?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 08:43
You should check issue 82 of the newsletter, I'm sure that's the issue with details on it that you should read up on (re licensing etc) - this websites sales and download pages can be tricky to find.

Heres a link to the download page for the free version:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=free

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:21:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:21:42