Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / DarkGDK.NET Runtime

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

I have one small question, I have made a game using DarkGDK.net Com interop library, and i want to share it with my friends,
so of course they will be needing the DarkGDK.net runtime library. The only file that i am thinking of is: *DarkGDK.NET Redistributable.msi*
but i hope that i am wrong because the installer is 16 MB!! (Much Bigger then game i made).

Could someone please tell me which files the end user really needs to be enabled to play my game? I want to include the needed files
in my custom installer, That way i dont need to send more then 1 installer.

And the end user can download stuff like Framework/DirectX from internet, I dont belive that the 16MB is all for DarkGDK files,
i think there is also stuff of framework included in that .msi installer.

So heeeelp .

Thanks in advance guys
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 14:48
That's small! They also need the .NET Framework 3.5, which is about 200MB.

[center][center]
StartCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
16Mb small? no way its to big!

I know that people need framework, but most of the times Winodows XP SP2 -> Windows 7 has Framework installed.

And not everybody has to know that i used DarkGDK to make my game.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 10:34
Quote: "And not everybody has to know that i used DarkGDK to make my game."

Why is it so bad to give some credit to the libraries you built your games with? Unless you keep bragging at your friends about how awesome you are and how you mastered DirectX programming it shouldn't matter.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
StartCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Okey guys,

Please dont reply something that has nothing to do with my question, if you dont know the answer then please dont reply.

@Silvester
I paid for DarkGDK.net it was not free so why give credit then?
and even if i had made it with DirectX even then no one had to know what i used to build my game.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 07:51 Edited at: 11th Jan 2010 07:52
Quote: "@Silvester
I paid for DarkGDK.net it was not free so why give credit then?
and even if i had made it with DirectX even then no one had to know what i used to build my game."

Not free no, but that doesn't mean you don't have to credit it.. Play ANY games using the UNREAL Engine and you'll see a splash screen, and the same goes for pretty much every engine and technology used in game development, they almost all have splashscreens in games.

But if you're SO desperate on hiding it, go program your own system, because if DarkGDK crashes for whatever reason it mentions DarkGDK in the error log! Oh noez meh secretz!

And just for the record, I enjoy mocking people at times.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 02:55
Yep Silvester is correct, credit should be given where due..

StartCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Topic can be closed, I found an greate way to just make 4.8MB install.

Ps
I dont care what silvester says, i never asked for his opinion and he does not know how game company's work.
They give credit because they have contract with Engine company. (promotion = less money to pay for Engine).

Many game company's dont give credits but pay the full price.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 18:20
That's a lot of hostility and a lot of assumptions for someone who has only been a member on here for a few months.

Also, even if you have purchased the Commercial License for Dark GDK or GDK.Net, which I have purchased both, section 4 of the license requires you to expose the fact that it's made with Dark GDK both in the software itself, and on any packaging you might use.

Just because you paid your $30, doesn't mean you get to treat it as if you wrote it all yourself.

This is how ALL game engines are licensed. It would be completely stupid for them to allow people to use their engine without giving them credit. Likewise any plugin that you use to make your life easier should also be credited. It's just simple common courtesy.

So re-read your license before you get yourself in trouble, and don't assume that other people don't know what they're talking about.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 19:39
Originally posted by KISTech

Quote: "Also, even if you have purchased the Commercial License for Dark GDK or GDK.Net, which I have purchased both, section 4 of the license requires you to expose the fact that it's made with Dark GDK both in the software itself, and on any packaging you might use."

Thank you for pointing that out.

With respect to the idea of crediting after paying full license fees for engines in general, a good example of this would be the Unity 3D engine. Most applications I've seen that use this package, all fire up with the Unity cube logo. If it hadn't of been shown in this way, I would not have known anything about Unity or where to find it. Crediting an engine is not just for advertising the fact that your program was written with it, it also lets other users know that because your application is the Cat's pyjamahs, they are going to want to know how to write applications just as good, and what with

Paul.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 05:52
Quote: "Ps
I dont care what silvester says, i never asked for his opinion and he does not know how game company's work.
They give credit because they have contract with Engine company. (promotion = less money to pay for Engine).

Many game company's dont give credits but pay the full price."

And yet they always either show the engine logo on a splash screen, the launcher, in the credits or on their website, and at times even on multiple locations. Not trying to sound harsh here but I probably have a better idea on how actual companies work then you do, I've tagged along in one for a year or so. Granted it wasn't a programmers position but merely the guy that brought the mail around but hey, I did get to work there and could ask all I wanted.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
StartCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Okey here i am agian,

Guys take it easy, first of all i did not say i will never give Credit to DarkGDK.Net

Yes i said the following thing before: And not everybody has to know that i used DarkGDK to make my game.

If you can see my english is bad! if someone asks me what i used to make my game i will tell them DarkGDK.Net, I could never hide something like this.

What i really meant to say is that while the end user is installing the game they dont have to see the DarkGDK part or.Net they just want to play the game! all recent Windows versions has .net and Directx so they dont have to install that.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 17:25
Actually your English is pretty good. Maybe just the way you presented your case. Either way, now you have all the facts, and can make your best decision with full information.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 15:52:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 15:52:37