Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / how do I test net games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 22:25
Hi everyone!

I have heard that it is possible to somehow test network LAN games on one computer. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks, TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 08:39 Edited at: 9th Jan 2010 08:41
If you launch multiple instances of the game as an exe, you assign the host and joiners to the IP address 127.0.0.1 .

And, I think, If it's on a LAN, you can look up the ethernet IP by running winipcfg ahead of time and set the host and joiners to that IP - though I'm not 100% positive about this part.

Enjoy your day.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
You really need two computers to actually test the program as it would normally execute.
Too much special code would be needed to properly simulate the environment, so save yourself a bunch of hassle and get another computer and an ethernet crossover cable.

I'm unique, just like everybody else.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 18:35 Edited at: 9th Jan 2010 18:40
Well, I actually HAVE another computer and a crossover cable, but a slight problem is at hand:

specs:

450 MHz Intel Pentium 2 processor
5.8 GB HDD
128 MB RAM
16 MB video memory on some graphics card I don't know

This computer is so bad, DBC doesn't even run on it!

StarCraft just manages to work though...

@Latch

how exactly do I enter the IP 127.0.0.1? Do you mean entering it when using the command SET NET CONNECTION and a little box comes up?

TheComet

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 20:08 Edited at: 9th Jan 2010 20:14
Of course Starcraft works. The game was made in 1997 (I still play it myself, it is awesome, but one of the Terran Broodwar missions is too hard for me), and it runs on Linux if you use Wine.

Speaking of Linux, maybe you could put Ubuntu on the computer and run DB from there with Wine? http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18602

You might be able to rent a computer for testing. I found this site: http://www.rentacomputer.com/ for renting, and you could probably rent an HP Laptop and use that.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 22:16
Quote: "Of course Starcraft works. The game was made in 1997 (I still play it myself, it is awesome, but one of the Terran Broodwar missions is too hard for me), and it runs on Linux if you use Wine."

I am also stuck in one of the Terran Brood War missions... But God, does that Jim Raynor Guy annoy you whenever you click on him or make him do something... Hey, maybe we can have a game together someday!

Talking about StarCraft, I can't get it to run under WINE... What did you do to achieve that?

I loaded Ubuntu onto the computer. Well, I tried... It made it to the language selection after about 1 hour of loading, but it then crashed. I tried another 2 times until I gave up.

With Windows XP on it, it doesn't handle any HW acceleration and I don't even know if it can run DirectX. It couldn't run AC3D, it couldn't run CharacterFX, it couldn't even run the DB.exe black interface... So I doubt it will work if I put LINUX on it because of it's sucky graphics card.

I then tried to get DBC to run under WINE on my new computer, and it couldn't do it, even after the update. Why do you think that is?

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the links and your help!

TheComet

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Latch

how exactly do I enter the IP 127.0.0.1? Do you mean entering it when using the command SET NET CONNECTION and a little box comes up?"

Yeah, usinc a TCP/IP connection depending on whether or not you bypass the enetering of the IP by directly supplying it hardcoded, use the little box. Here's a basic example. When the box appears you'd type in 127.0.0.1 - but in this example it won't do anything, it's just a basic idea of the procedure:

Quote: "I then tried to get DBC to run under WINE on my new computer, and it couldn't do it, even after the update. Why do you think that is?"

Direct X and Linux don't get along very well. Using Wine it can take a lot of tweaking and setup and often specific setup per application or per game - I'm not talking about wine setup alone, I'm talking about setting up linux to use direct x. Sometimes depending on the linux distribution and the specific libraries setup or included/loaded, boom, it just works. Most of the time, at least in my experience, there's major tweaking to be done to get it to work. I never used Ubuntu so I don't know any of the specifics of what linux libraries or apps may or may not be included. Linux in general uses an OpenGL substitute called Mesa for it's 3d stuff. Directx really isn't part of it. It's possible to install Directx on linux using wine but I think it's pretty tricky - so I don't see DarkBasic being used on linux. Not only would you have to set up your computer to make the game, you'd have to setup every other linux box to use your game and every linux box can have a completely different configuration.

Enjoy your day.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 03:39
You can install DirectX with Winetricks.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:59:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:59:47