Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / Quietus - Complete level package to try

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2010 20:42 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:43

Name of Game: Quietus

Developer Name; Teacher

Storyline:

The story briefly is that of a secret organisation – Quietus, they do ‘wet work’ for governments and large corporations. In this episode, Lamarra (that’s you) has to retrieve a letter from a facility and get out - preferably without fuss – but that’s a big ask.

I am interested in using FPSC to tell stories as well as deliver the gaming element, and Quietus is my attempt to do this. The game is a short 'Chapter 1'. Subsequent chapters would depend on reaction.
The whole package includes a whole delivery front end, which sets the scene, gives background info and also fires up the games demo.

When you think this is my second forum post, and I was an Early Adopter, I guess that says that I have not been too active on the boards.
However, I have a completed demo to share - but beware; it is big and uses a lot of movie files.

Please have a go, and any feedback would be very welcome.
Once again, it’s a biggish file at around 256Mb.

Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.controladventures.co.uk/downloads/QuietusPt1.zip

- Steve the Teacher
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 02:04
Looks great and original! I would ask that you stick to the "2 screenshot only" rule we have for the Showcase (I would suggest losing the 1st and 3rd Screenshot). You can make them into links however.

I'll have to download this one for sure!

-Keith
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 08:29 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:44
Thanks for the kind words Keith - edited in line with your suggestions!

- Steve the Teacher
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks very interesting. I'm downloading it right now and ill give it a little review probably sometime tomorrow

Just a little "personal" question. I would guess that your a teacher because of your name (
Quote: "Teacher"
) are you? It really doesn't matter just thought it was interesting.

P.S. Your grammar is extremely good

Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 09:59 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:43
Thanks Hockeykid - hope you like it, and any feedback is very welcome indeed.
Guilty as charged, I'm afraid; I am a Teacher and my primary interest is developing Educational materials using FPSC. Quietus is a test pice and also a bit of a holiday - it's nice to be able to blow stuff up and use guns - a definite no-no in school based resources.
Enjoy the demo!

- Steve the Teacher
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 13:08 Edited at: 13th Jan 2010 13:12
I just played it 5 times (couldn't win ) and here is my review (as usual in the Fistfull of Dollars format):

THE GOOD:
- exellent music score. With most FPSC games (within a genre) looking similar, music&sound are essential to make a game stick out. And while some music is allready getting on my nerves during the second try, yours was actually enjoyable.
- excellent presentation of game menu & screens. Not only did it make the game look professional, it was actually inviting to click through the story, manual and character button instead of jumping right into the action.
- Despite the horrible game AI(not your fault) it wasn't just a shoot 'em up.
Clever placing made the NPCs surprise me on the first run.
- No huds are good huds. Not knowing about ammo and health makes me think twice before charging through the next door.
- one of the few games with cutscenes. Since the original Tomb Raider we all know, that cutscenes make the difference between a mindless shooter and real game. Personally i can never get enough of them.

THE BAD
- speaking of cutscenes, the movies didnt play very well om my super-graphiccard PC. But it yould also be my /&%$§"! Vista
- A great character you choose/created for the heroine, but using EAI's hands somehow ruined it. If i may, I'd recommend to stick with the handless stock weapons, the NPCs use.
- scene(coded for spoiler)

THE UGLY
- coded for spoilers

All in all I am looking forward to see more from you (and of Lamarra too)

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 15:10
I've tried downloading it multiple times now, to no avail.

-Keith
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 17:58
Quote: "I've tried downloading it multiple times now, to no avail."

Ditto.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 20:34
Just downloaded it.Now to play...
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 16:38 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:44
Apologies for the delay in responding - work has a habit of getting in the way of life.

Sorry some folks are having problems with the download - I've checked and it is there and working.

Storyteller - thanks very much for the detailed feedback, particularly in relation to making the scene logical and work within a real context - that’s something that I'll certainly bear in mind for the future.
I'm also glad that the carrier program worked for you and that the story and packaging aspects seem to have gone down well with you.

Hope more people can download, play and feel that they want to add to the uphill struggle of helping me learn!

- Steve the Teacher
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 16:40 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:44
Oh, and as a post script to Storytellers useful and encouraging comments - you can get out somehow...

- Steve the Teacher
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 19:50 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:45
Just double checked the link, definitely working for anyone who still wants to download...

- Steve the Teacher
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 20:04
Nice, looks very interesting! I need to download! But if you play as that woman, I need to say that she doesen't have gloves and your weapons do. Just a little thing, but something I noticed... But it looks very interesting and nice!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 22:30
Teacher,

I've tried again with the same results. I don't know if it's because I have a slow connection and it's timing out or what, but every time it will get so far and then disconnect. The message says that the file cannot be downloaded because it can not be found on the server.

Brian.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 23:11
Same problem here Brian; I've asked the Teach if it's possible to get a mirror up. We'll have to wait and see. It's odd, because not all of us seem to have this problem...

-Keith
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 01:22 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:45
> Metal Devil
Thanks for the kind comments, hope you manage to get it!

>Keith & Xplosys

Thanks for the continued interest - much appreciated. I think the problem mightjust be the file size. In any event; I'm uploading now to another site, as soon as it's up I'll share the link.
Thanks again for your patience.
Quote: "I've asked the Teach"

Special thanks for that - I feel so cool now!

- Steve the Teacher
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 01:24 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:45
Quote: "The message says that the file cannot be downloaded because it can not be found on the server."

Thanks for that info - that does sound like a timeout, but it gives me something to check.

- Steve the Teacher
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 10:55 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:45
QuietusPt1 is now available for download from:

http://www.csmdigital.com/downloads/QuietusPt1.zip

I this is more accessible to more people.
Many thanks for the patience shown, and hope you enjoy the package.

- Steve the Teacher
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 16:20
Thanks, it works!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 16:40
Works for me too.

-Keith
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 16:53 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:46
Great news, hope you feel the result is worth all the anguish!

@MetalDevil (and others) - thanks for the point about the gloves - I'm going to have to pay more attention to detail!

- Steve the Teacher
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 16:57 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:46
I’m not sure what people think; one idea to develop the Quietus theme is to develop it as an episodic short level narrative. Each chapter is an fps file which downloads and sits where the main launcher can see it; that way the main launcher comes down once, and the episodes are downloaded when ready and controlled from within it. I thought it was an interesting idea, the demo here would be part one.
It also explains why this is short.
Would that work?

- Steve the Teacher
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 17:06 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:08
I really like the layout of the menu system, as well as all the other little "niceties" involved. The level itself is rather standard, vanilla FPSC though. The concept you are discussing sounds good though; and will require much less to download, as the chapters/episodes go on. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. You could make it a "this week's/month's mission is..." type of thing.

I bypassed most of it, and got to the letter in about 10-15 seconds. Using the "alternate" route.

-Keith
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 17:40 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 17:43
Thanks Keith, you comments are welcome and helpful.

I agree with the comments about the FPSC level - it is obvious; but...

I did a small trial with some younger players, who have no experience of FPSC as a tool, although obviously their experience with games consoles etc was extensive. It was soon clear that without knowledge of the editor it took longer to play, much nearer to my design play time (a hoped for 6-10 minutes)rather than your impressive results!

I throw that comment in not so much as a defence, but as a general thought - any comments on that as a consideration?

Thanks in advance

- Steve the Teacher
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 17:45
You're absolutely right, and it's something we here often overlook:

People who are not familiar with FPSC have a different outlook on it as a whole. Add to that; developers critique a game differently than a straight gamer.

Have you looked into any of the existing Mods yet, as far as graphic and speed enhancements?

-Keith
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Have you looked into any of the existing Mods yet, as far as graphic and speed enhancements?"

No, I haven't as yet - I'd really welcome a steer as to which one(s) to look at as some seem to overlap, or have specific version requirements.

- Steve the Teacher
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 22:00
Hey Teach,

That download worked for me. The game however would not start in W7 and I had to run it in Windows XP-SP2 compatibility mode. As has been said, the game play was pretty standard, but we are very used to it.

I did enjoy the menu - very slick - and if you can plug new levels into it that would be great. Thanks for the play.

Brian.

Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Xplosys; interesting that it won't run in W7 - I imagine that would be an issue for an FPSC update at some point.

It seems to me that the summation of this thread (unless anyone else would like to contribute - it's not too late), is that the menu/delivery system seems to meet with approval, but I need to think a bit harder about the FPSC element - although it's perhaps not totally desperate!

I'll have a trawl of the forums to see if a mod might be useful to this project.

Thanks to all who have fed back thus far.

- Steve the Teacher
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2010 20:33
Teacher,

It seems to be Mediator that doesn't start in W7, not FPS Creator. It never gets to the point of starting the game. The screen goes blank and after a while I get the message... "Mediator 9.0 not responding."

Brian.

Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Brian, that's very useful news - I'll take it up with Matchware tommorrow.
Thanks again.

- Steve the Teacher
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 22:43
Im downloading now and will let you know how it goes, looking forward to the gameplay.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 23:11 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 23:20
well i played it and ill tell you, its real good

1.you should force the player to see the story in the begining.
2.The story should be a bit longer and in depth for such an atractive game layout.
3.the first guy I came in contact with is snaped to the grid so he wont run to me he runs in place.
4.I think a game like this that lookes nothing like fpsc should be longer then just one leval as i see your making it many downloadble levals I belive if you made this longer with a longer in deph story it would be something to look at for publishers.

thats my 2 cents, I realy enjoyed playing it.and as a teacher please dont edit my misspelled words

edit: I have windows 7 and it works fine with no problems or slow down

Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Daniel,
Thanks you very much for your positive comments, and also for your insightful suggestions - I'll certainly bear them in mind.
The whole Quietus project has been well received so far, so hopefully will be developed much further - just as long as there enough hours in the day.
As regards spelling, if you spell it that way, then it's correct!
Regards
Steve

- Steve the Teacher
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 15:10
Very nice looking. I like the polished look of the HUDs.

Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks JRH, glad you like the look of the project. Hopefully it will get developed, there may be more in this series, but I think I'd like to redevelop the front end so that it could cope with new installments without redownloading the entire app.

- Steve the Teacher
pata23
Years of Service
User Offline
hey,how do u add the text and the image of the guy when completing an objective¿?
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
@pata23
The scene is a video triggered by a video zone in the usual way. The graphics were created in DAZ 3D, which is much underrated, basically because in its simplest form it is free!
Hope this helps,
Teacher

- Steve the Teacher
pata23
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 07:23
Quote: "The scene is a video triggered by a video zone in the usual way. The graphics were created in DAZ 3D, which is much underrated, basically because in its simplest form it is free!"

I use DAZ 3D too, but I am just learning now.

The game was great, but there was alot of dynamic objects there, wich maby wouldn't have to be dynamic. I could make a pile out of them and get over the fence and all. But it was fun shooting and the animations were sweet, maby they could improve a little, but they are better than I can do in some time. It was very nice overall!

"You are one of the best game designers on TGC"- Bloody James
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
@pata23 - Very welcome, hope you are able to try Daz

@Metal Devil123 - Stick with Daz! I found the learning curve steep but well worth it. If you sign up for the newsletter, there is usually some free content each week.

Also, thanks for the dynamic objects observation - that's very helpful!

Teacher

- Steve the Teacher
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 11:42
I will stick with it and getteh news letter and it's a great program!

"You are one of the best game designers on TGC"- Bloody James
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 12:09 Edited at: 10th Feb 2010 12:10
@Metal Devil 123

Good news: I've placed a couple of links below that might be of interest, assuming you don't already know all about them!

Good content site:
http://www.renderosity.com/

Great Free Figure
http://www.antonkisieldesigns.com/~akfiles/htmlpages/ApolloMaximusFree3dhumanfigure.htm

And of course...
http://www.controladventures.co.uk/

- Steve the Teacher
NurseMaduro
Years of Service
User Offline
Agree with most everything said here. The menus are so terrific, that entering the in-game menu is a bit of a disappointment. The game ran smoothly for me until the cutscene involving her reaching out (avoiding spoilers here). Then the screen freaked out and 75% of it was off my monitor to the lower right hand side. I had to [ALT]+[TAB] to get back to the game, and that screen didn't go away until I closed the game. I'm running Vista 64, if that helps any.

I too had to do the suicide option after finding myself in a place I shouldn't have been in. Also, the main protagonist is a female, but every time I jumped, I grunted in a male voice.

Your boxes in the courtyard were bright in a low-light environment, but as I'm a new user of FPSC I'm not sure if this is an engine limitation or not (I hope not).

Overall, incredible job. Nice use of shading and mob placement. The character design in great as well.

Cheers!
Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
It's great to see this thread still active! Thanks NurseMaduro, not just for the kind words (which are very nice - thank you) but also for the feedback. I don't have a Vista 64 system, but will see if I can get onto a platform somewhere to check it out.
Also, all the feedback on storyline, and especially characterisation is very helpful. I think that Quietus and Lamarra will have to ride again...
Steve

- Steve the Teacher
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 14:16
Thanks, checking the sites out!

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:18:26