Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SUPER-BRIX - Break Out -clone

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 11:38 Edited at: 26th Apr 2010 00:15
LATEST UPDATE:
So, here's the latest update from my BreakOut clone 'BRIXOID' (used to be called 'SUPER-BRIX').

Here is the latest information:
- There are currently 25 levels (I said in a previous post to have about 50, but for now there's only 25...I will release more of them in upgrade packs)
- There are 9 power-ups (some of them are power-downs!) ): ):
* a powerup that grows the paddle
* a powerup that shrinks the paddle real tiny (very annoying) ): ):
* a powerup that speeds up the upwards moving deadly lazer;
* a powerup that allows the player to shoot the bricks with a laser-canon
* a powerup that reverses the paddle-movement (pressing left moves the paddle right, and vice versa...) --> VERY annoying! ): ):
* a powerup that adds a life after collecting that same powerup X times (the number of X depends on the difficulty level chosen)
* a powerup that speeds up the paddle-movement
* the 'CRUSHER' - powerup: electrical beam that moves upwards and destroys all bricks it collides with, etc...
- There are 4 songs (I'll probably add some more with the final release) to choose from. (I did them myself with FL Studio)
- There's a pausing feature
- The color of the ball is adjustable
- Difficulty of level choosing: EASY - MEDIUM - HARD
- A Highscore-table
- The ability to choose different paddles (still working on that...)
- And, NOT to forget: there will be a level-editor too (which I will release in a few months or so)...

Here's the latest screenie:

And here's a video of the game for you all to download untill the demo is finished. I know, the resolution is'nt super, but that's because I reduced the size of the video for easy downloading purposes. And also, the sound is not synchronized, but it should give you an idea of the game. So, enjoy...

Any comments or critics are welcome...

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 23:36
You could have unbreakable obstacles that spawn in front of the blocks sometimes to make it harder

The grafix feels a bit to much like modern art ?
And a bit to blurry ?

But an good start
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 19:15 Edited at: 12th Jan 2010 19:17
Thanks, Cliff for your comments! I wondered why nobody had any comments, because that was either really good or really bad.

Quote: "The grafix feels a bit to much like modern art ?"

Well, i tought to make a more modern version of it, to keep it interesting and new.

Quote: "And a bit to blurry ?"

The graphics in-game are quite sharp, so it's probably the resolution of the screenies that cause the blur. I converted them to a smaller size for uploading purposes.

Quote: "You could have unbreakable obstacles that spawn in front of the blocks sometimes to make it harder"

Yep, that could be an option. I also tought to insert some pinball-like features. Also, the green laser-thingy at the bottom is vertically moveable to make the playfield smaller, and thus more difficult.

Soon i'll post a little demo, but i'm working on several projects, so it could take some time...

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 01:19 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 00:55
Okay, since there have been already 100 people that where interested , here's a little update. I'm currently working on designing and adding the power-ups, the score already works, the interface had a little face-lift, i'm working on sound fx and music, and I have alot of other goodies planned. Any comments are welcome.

And here is a screenie:

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 01:31
It looks pretty cool, but make sure you stay consistent with the graphical style.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 22:10
Thanx, Benjamin!

Quote: "make sure you stay consistent with the graphical style. "

That's the reason why the user-interface had a face-lift.

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 00:17
Okay, there have been 200 visitors already, so it's time for a little update.
I've added an FX-system (see screenie) to the game for whenever the ball hits something (bricks, paddle, borders, power-ups), I'm almost finished with modelling all the power-ups, so thereafter I will add them all, the sound FX are nearly done, and I'm currently making several tunes and other enhancements to the game. There's still no demo available (lack of time), but I'll do my best to have one ready in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2010 01:07
Hum, it seems that there are'nt much comments or suggestions about my game so far, and I wonder why.
Is this not the type of games that you guys like to play, or are those screenies not good enough? Or do you think like 'WOOOW, that looks impressive'? Or are you guys just eager to play a little demo?

Well, if it is the demo that you're waiting for, then I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that i could have one ready in a few days. The bad news however is, that I would like to know if it is possible to include everything (media, sounds, etc...) into the executable, and if so, how to do it? Thanx in advance!

Cheers

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2010 20:16 Edited at: 31st Jan 2010 20:51
don't be disheartened by the lack of comments here. i believe plenty of people are interested but for a break-out clone, it's gonna be about gameplay. while the graphics look nice in the screenshots, (and that will lend toward the overall experience), for an audience that's probably played a dozen other breakout clones, it's hard for us to get too excited. the bottom line is, keep doing what you're doing, and believe in it. when demos come out, we'll give it a shot and offer proper feedback. another bit of advice is to not dangle a "demo carrot" in front of us . post when it's ready (or atleast very close). video of gameplay might be a quicker taste to offer, as well (tho, with the lighting/effects apparent here, it may not display too well in standard youtube video or the like, so... you be the judge on that). anyway, my personal opinion is on hold until i see some of the nuts and bolts in action

add: i liked the sound of "demo carrot" so i made an icon:

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2010 22:23
Hi, Virtual Nomad, thanx for the comments and advice.

Quote: "i believe plenty of people are interested but for a break-out clone, it's gonna be about gameplay."

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Quote: "while the graphics look nice in the screenshots, (and that will lend toward the overall experience) "

I'm very pleased that you like them. It's good to know that the graphics of my game are'nt bad.

Quote: "another bit of advice is to not dangle a "demo carrot" in front of us "

Hahahahaa, "demo carrot"...nice choice of words! Well, I was planning on posting a short demo (3 levels) one of these days, just to see what the reactions would be.
May I use that icon in my game as the startup-screen?

Quote: "video of gameplay might be a quicker taste to offer, as well (tho, with the lighting/effects apparent here, it may not display too well in standard youtube video"

I was thinking about that myself, and hesitated, because the graphics would appear too pixalized.

Quote: "my personal opinion is on hold until i see some of the nuts and bolts in action "

Well, I'll do my best to finish that demo as soon as possible so you and everyone else can try it out and give their comments and advice.

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 00:46 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 00:58
Okay, so here's a little update. It's a screenie that I took a couple of days ago. I know, it is'nt a demo (yet), but I'm finishing it, so it should not take very much time anymore to get that demo ready and posted (if all goes as planned).

Btw, any comments are still welcome...

Cheers

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 06:44 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 06:45
looks good, the thing that looks like an explosion is an explosion or a part of the backdrop? if it's an explosion, that would be cool but how about bringing it in front of the bricks? it would look better

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 12:41
Thanx, Hassan!

Quote: "the thing that looks like an explosion is an explosion or a part of the backdrop?"

Yep, that's a live explosion and not a part of the backdrop. Whenever the ball hits the frame, it produces a kind of an electric explosion, and will never be the same because I added some randomness to it. And the sparkly things that you see inside the explosion, are produced whenever the ball hits a brick. As you can see, I changed the backdrop (because I find this one better suited), but I'm thinking of letting the user have the oportunity to choose amongst different backdrops in the final release. This backdrop was created with three textures and then blended together. You may also have noticed that the laser thingy at the bottom is higher than on the previous pictures. The speed of the laser going up, will depend on which level you're playing.

Quote: "how about bringing it in front of the bricks? it would look better"

I'll definately try it out, and see what that gives.

Thanx again!

Cheers

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 22:18 Edited at: 10th Feb 2010 22:18
Hi Slayer it looks like your on your way to a very good breakout game.

The fx looks really nice. I just hope the gameplay is good.
When I make a game I always focus on gameplay. The last part I focus on graphics.

Looks like this will be a fun game.
When is a demo going to be ready?

darkvee
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 23:18
Quote: "it looks like your on your way to a very good breakout game."

Thanx, darkvee! It feels good to get positive comments like this!

Quote: "The fx looks really nice. I just hope the gameplay is good.
When I make a game I always focus on gameplay. The last part I focus on graphics."

I'm glad that you like them. I'm always trying to get the graphics as good as possible, and when I'm not pleased with them, I try over and over and over, 'till I get them as I wanted.
I really hope that the gameplay is as good as the graphics. At the moment I'm working on gameplay and adjusting everything to get it right. I sometimes have so many ideas that I would like to add, that I don't know where to begin.
Usually I concentrate and begin with the gameconcept and graphics, sounds, models, and do the actual gameplay at the end.

Quote: "When is a demo going to be ready?"

Well, I'm still working on it. Next week I have some tests to do for the course I'm following (administration), and my sister is going to live elsewhere, so I'm helping her with the removal. But I will do my very best to get it finished as soon as possible.

Thanx again!

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2010 22:51
Just to let you all know that I'm still working on this! I've had plenty of other things to do lately, like studying for the administrational course I'm following at the moment, helping my sis with her removal, telling jokes at the forum ( ), starting a metalband (check out the 'Music Discussion' -thread, and the 'Band Name' -thread on the 'Geek Culture' -board) with budokaiman (also a member of the forum), recording riffs and stuff for that band, making and mixing music for my game, and finally programming some application that will make it a lot easier for making graphics for games (and I'm planning on making it for FREE). I can't tell much about it yet, cuz' it's a secret!

See ya soon...!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 21:12 Edited at: 13th Mar 2010 21:18
I'ts been a while since the last update and news about my game, so here I'm back again.

First of all, I changed the name of my game into 'BRIXOID', mainly because there where already a bunch of other applications or companys or products with Super-brix as name, and to avoid any legal issues, I changed the name.
There has also been a lot of changes to the overall look of the graphics (see screenie). I personally think it is a great improvement, but that's just personal taste I guess. Any comments about the new graphics are welcome.
As you may know, I'm trying to get it finished for the Intel Contest, so the game will be finished very soon now. Notebook users will get the chance to try it out earlier, but will lack some great features like the level-editor, which will only be available in the PC- and laptopversions. Maybe I'll even give the leveleditor for free to the community. So, if you have any comments, or suggestions, then just speak...

Cheers

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 00:51
Looks nice. I look forward to playing it.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 01:12
Thanx, Dr Tank! Glad you like it! Just a little more patience, and you'll get the chance of trying it out.

The Notebook-version will have about 50 (or maybe even 70) levels, and the final version (PC and laptop), will have the level-editor on top of that, plus some other features.

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 14:57 Edited at: 5th Apr 2010 14:58
Well, it's been a while, but here I'm back with another (large) update on my game BRIXOID. First some screenies from three different levels (randomly chosen), and finally a screenie from the Main Menu:

And now it's time for some more information:
- There are currently 25 levels (I said in a previous post to have about 50, but for now there's only 25...I will release more of them in upgrade packs)
- There are 9 power-ups (some of them are power-downs! ):
* a powerup that grows the paddle;
* a powerup that shrinks the paddle;
* a powerup that speeds up the upwards moving deadly lazer;
* a powerup that allows the player to shoot the bricks with a laser-canon;
* a powerup that reverses the paddle-movement (pressing left moves the paddle right, and vice versa...)
* a powerup that adds a life after collecting that same powerup three times
* a powerup that speeds up the paddle-movement, etc...
- There are 4 songs to choose from. (I did them myself with FL Studio)
- There's a pausing feature
- And, there will be a Highscore-table too (still working on that...)
- And, not to forget: there will be a level-editor too (which I will release in a few months or so)...

So, BRIXOID is reaching the final stage for releasing it.
There's no demo yet, because I'm still focusing on the Intel Contest, and also because the game is getting a little large for downloading (90 a 100 MB), but I'll see if I can make one, let's say within a week or so...

So, any comments or critics are much appreciated.

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:25 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 00:26
So, no one? Anyone? Or is everyone just waiting for that demo?

Some comments would be nice, ya know?

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2010 03:30
Looks fun!

Nice Graphics!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 01:35
Quote: "Looks fun! Nice Graphics!"

Thanks, Mew151! Unfortunaly, there's no demo yet. I know, I know, I said earlier to have a demo ready, but there have been some problems I had to solve, so the demo has some delay too.

I was also wondering if you guys know a good FREE FILE HOSTING site where I can put my demo for downloading??

Oh yeah, there have been some changes to the overall look of my game, so here's another (most recent) screenie for you all to enjoy untill the demo:

Cheers

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 04:42
Quote: "I was also wondering if you guys know a good FREE FILE HOSTING site where I can put my demo for downloading??"

Mediafire.com
Rapidshare.com (I don't like these guys, though )

Go to a search engine and type in "free file hosting". You'll find lots

The one and only,

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 19:18 Edited at: 18th Apr 2010 19:19
Sounds good. Still looking forward to a demo.

Replies do naturally die out. It sucks but it makes sense. Making a game takes a lot of work, but if all the reader can see for it is a listing of extra features, there's not a lot they can say about it. Also new readers I believe tend to check out the first post, but not read a whole lot extra before commenting. I know I do that. Thus it's good to update your 1st post (you can keep the old version as the lower half of the 1st post) with the most recent info. This way new readers will see that. But also make sure to update with new posts for existing readers. This also bumps the thread.

Best thing is to knuckle down and not get too disheartened by any lack of comments. I reckon when you do post up a demo you'll get plenty. Also you can post a vid if you want feedback. When you've just got screens people can appraise the graphics, but not a lot else. With vids they can get an idea of how the gameplay mechanics work.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 00:28
LATEST UPDATE + VIDEO (see FIRST post)

ENJOY!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 00:45
Hum, it's been a while since the previous update, so here I'm back with more news about my game BRIXOID. This will be the LAST update before I'm posting a demo, or better...the COMPLETE game.
I changed the interface (again, I KNOW...) and added one more POWER-UP (called the 'Destructor' >>>> SEE SCREENIE), which is a lightning ball that destroys the bricks (and has the ability to destroy complete rows of bricks without bouncing back), plus I enhanced the other POWER-UPS a bit too.

Before I post a demo, I would like to know which resolutions are the most used by you guys? I can put them all in, but I think some screen resolutions are not used very often, so PLEASE, let me know?
And, do you guyz want a feature to change the keyboard configuration, or are the 'arrow'-keys (for paddle movement), and spacebar for ball launching fine?

Finally, PLEASE let me know if you think that the latest interface is better suited than the previous one (FIRST POST). Thanks!

Cheers

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 00:52
1920x1080x32
1680x1050x32
1600x900x32
1440x900x32
1280x1024x32
1280x960x32
1024x768x32

ciao faccie da sedere!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 08:53 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 08:54
1680x1050x32, here, if you feel the need to hard-code resolution options...

by interface, do you mean the "larval" blue (outer) texture? if so, i prefer the earlier one.

and, yes, please include configurable controls. i hate using <spacebar> for anything if it saves you work, you could always let the spacebar, left-control, left-shift, left-alt, etc, ALL be fire/launch keys.

also, don't forget powerdowns for us to avoid. looking at the screen shots inspired the idea of a "Haywire" powerdown that might cause the ball to randomly "stagger" off its trajectory

keep up the good work!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 10:31
Very impressed at the quality.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 14:28
Quote: "1920x1080x32
1680x1050x32
1600x900x32
1440x900x32
1280x1024x32
1280x960x32
1024x768x32"

Quote: "1680x1050x32, here, if you feel the need to hard-code resolution options..."

Well, I'll put those resolutions in, and let the player choose amongst them. Currently the resolution is set to 1024, 768, 32. Maybe it's a good idea to add some lower resolutions in too, for those who have less powerfull computers.
And, I'm also adding in one resolution for notebooks (1200,600,32).

Quote: "by interface, do you mean the "larval" blue (outer) texture? if so, i prefer the earlier one."

Yep, that's what I meant. The second does look kinda like larves, hey?
But, I can give the user the option of choosing between those two (or more?).

Quote: "and, yes, please include configurable controls. i hate using <spacebar> for anything if it saves you work, you could always let the spacebar, left-control, left-shift, left-alt, etc, ALL be fire/launch keys."

That's not a bad idea, Virtual Nomad.
I'll see what I can come up with.

Quote: "also, don't forget powerdowns for us to avoid. looking at the screen shots inspired the idea of a "Haywire" powerdown that might cause the ball to randomly "stagger" off its trajectory "

Yeah, don't worry. There are powerdowns that are very annoying, like the one that reverses the direction the paddle moves.
I've tested the game thoroughly, and I never got past all the levels, so those who do, may count themselves either VERY lucky, or VERY skilled. Mwuahahahaa!
Very often more than one power up/down falls down, so to collect a powerUP, you risk of collecting the powerDOWN just above or below the powerUP, which makes the game more difficult and strategic at the same time. Collecting power ups/downs, increases the score much more than just destroying the bricks. Sometimes you have to let a powerUP go to avoid collecting a powerDOWN and getting into trouble (and killed), or just do the opposite and have a hard time surviving, but end up with a higher score. I'ts all up to you.

Quote: "keep up the good work!"

Thanks, Virtual Nomad! And thanks for the good comments.

Quote: "Very impressed at the quality."

Thanks alot, Uncle Sam! A great comment from a talented man!

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:20:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:20:38