Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Controlling Initial Window Setup

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to use the functions DarkGDKStart(), DarkGDKInit(), and DarkGDKEnd() to control the initial window setup. They don't work for some reason. The functions don't even appear to be called. I actually got information on these three functions from the following link:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=144462&b=22

There is a small program created by IanM that when I compile and run, the functions DarkGDKStart(), DarkGDKInit(), and DarkGDKEnd() do work. This is the only program that the three functions will work in. Even if I copy and paste IanM's entire code into a different project and then compile the project, the three functions will not work. I don't know why. I guessing that it has something to do with the fact that might not have "add[ed] the darkgdk.lib to the list of libraries to exclude". I don't know how to do this step.

If you have any idea on how to solve this, please let me know. I have the files for Dark GDK 7.4 in their correct folders.
Aldur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 09:55 Edited at: 12th Jan 2010 09:58
Have you added IanM's header to your VC++ directories?

In VS2008 go to options, then VC++ Directories and add it in.

WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you mean the DarkGDK_Window.h header? Yes. It is in the Dark GDK include folder.
WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
What does IanM mean when he says "add the darkgdk.lib to the list of libraries to exclude"? How would one do such a step? I don't know how to do it. Where is this "list of excluded libraries"? Is this list accessible using Visual C++?

According to IanM, if we miss any of the steps that he mentioned in his post, then we might just get a standard window. That is pretty much my problem right now. The only place where the three functions work is in the project that IanM created. When I compile that exact project, the three functions work; however, they will not work for any of the projects that I create even if I copy and paste the exact working source code of IanM into the project. Does anyone know why this is so?
WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem is caused by the fact that my projects are actually using the darksdk.lib rather than the darksdk2.lib. I know this because when I removed the darksdk.lib file from the lib folder in the Dark GDK folder, I got a linker error. The error is the following:

fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'darksdk.lib'

When I compile IanM's project, this error does NOT occur. This explains why the three functions work in his project and not mines.

I now know how to tell Visual C++ to ignore darksdk.lib. The following are the steps:

1.) Open the project that you wish to use the functions DarkGDKStart(), DarkGDKInit(), and DarkGDKEnd().

2.) Left-click the "Projects" menu in the menu bar that can be found right under the title bar of Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.

3.) Highlight "Properties".

4.) Left-click the word "Properties".

5.) Left-click on the + sign on the left side of the word "Configuration Properties". If the sign on the left side of the word is a - sign, do not click on it.

6.) Left-click on the + sign on the left side of the word "Linker". If the sign on the left side of the word is a - sign, do not click on it.

7.) Left-click the word "Input".

8.) Left-click the words "Ignore Specific Library".

9.) Left-click on the "..." button on the right side of the bolded words which are to the right of the words "Ignore Specific Library".

10.) In the window that appears, there is a rectangular white box with a list of words. This list is actually a list of .lib files, also known as library files, that will not be used in this project. Add the library file "darksdk.lib", without the quotes, to the end of the list.

11.) Left-click "OK".

12.) Left-click "OK"

13.) Left-click on the X button, also known as the close button, on the top right hand side of the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Window.

14.) When a window appears asking you to "save changes to the following items," left-click Yes.

You are now done.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:22:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:22:51