Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / World of Zombcraft (Gore)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

The game:
Well, not really a MMORPG, but something like that.
You're a soldier, sent into a small town overrun by zombies.
Your Mission: Don't know. Look into your Questlog! (:
Story isn't done yet. Just some Ideas. Like the districts, character (classes), weapons, items, enemys.
Planned is that you're leveling outside in the town, with special instances for group / guild action.
Later maybe PVP, so you can choose between two groups which are hatred by the other.

We'll see, need to finish the basics, then the fun starts!
Not much finished, but in the next days - weeks - months...

= done
= working on
= planned
= canceled

Milestone I:
1.Basic Map loading
2.Basic Object loading
3.Basic Character Movement
4.Account Management
5.Chat
6.Basic NPC loading
7.Basic Character Shoot
8.Basic Ai
9.Level System
10.Class Management
11.Basic Item Loading
12.Basic Character Item Using
13.Advanced NPC Loading
14.Advanced Ai

Milestone II:
1.Trade
2.Inspect
3.Groups
4.NPC interaction
5.Quest System
6.Start District

Milestone III:
1.Guilds
2.Instances
3.District #1

Milestone IV:
1.District #1 to #X

Milestone V:
1.PVP

Launcher Preview:

First Movement Test:

First Movement Test Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2-WobCKnQ

Sorry for my bad english.

ps: no gore yet
xxelixx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 00:33
Looks like this could be something good.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 00:35
No offence, but I don't think this is ready for a WIP. You have no features completed, and the few you're working on are very basic and elementary.

The levels are looking good, but there's still a lot to go.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 01:26
@Zotoaster

He's clearly thinking logically here and working from the ground up. Started with an updater, making the system WORK first. I'd say that at least requires a bit of acknowledgement. Most people who try and do this make a city model, make essentially a single player game and then wonder why they have trouble getting it to work online.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
You're right NeX.
I don't need finished models / maps / etc if the game doesn't work.

But you're right too, Zotoaster. I have not much to show at the moment, but I think I can show more next week.

Greets.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 15:57
Gunslinger, can I ask why you chose to have your server in 3D? If you plan to have more than a few people connected then a 3D server might be too slow.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 16:31 Edited at: 16th Jan 2010 16:31
@ Xenocythe
It's probably done that way to handle all the 3D collisions involved in a 3D game. - I did this once and it's like - seeing as you've made the 3D objects and you're positioning them for server-client handling, you might as well render them too. But then again, every net project I've ever tried has failed in some way (the last breaking my internet every time 3 people joined) so don't listen to me. xD

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 17:09 Edited at: 16th Jan 2010 17:09
Xenocythe, if you tell me how to handle the 3D collision without it, i'll do it.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 14:31
You can handle the 3D without needing to render anything. Sparky's is especially useful for this, as you can save the collision meshes for faster loading, and delete any objects you used to create the collision data. Take away the need to render everything on screen and the server will run a lot faster. You can focus on displaying important server and debug information instead. I'd suggest working in Blue GUI or your own gui system that gives you easy access to things like a drop down list for all the players currently connected, setting if the server is open or closed, kicking certain players, etc. This can all be displayed in a small window. If the user wants to host a server and play the game, they can run the small side window and then run the game. Better yet, you could work in a button in the server program that will auto-run / connect the current host to their game to play.

You could always add more debugging methods that would turn rendering on, at least of the collision meshes.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 19:47
Collision via server? I don't understand why you would do that.

Take a look at most big MMOPRGS, or even most online games. In World of Warcraft, you can literally walk right through another online player. I guess Blizzard never thought it necessary to have collision between two online players, and they were right. It's unnecessary. However, the collision between player and world is most likely and (I think) most efficiently done client side. Like RUCCUS said, just set up Sparky's for each client and it'll work pretty well.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 20:02
@ Xenocythe
I only used collisions via server for the necessary game-mechanics collisions - not map or player collisions.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 21:21 Edited at: 17th Jan 2010 21:21
Quote: "world is most likely and (I think) most efficiently done client side"

No, all processing is done server side. You have to do all the real processing serverside or you get cheaters.

Many games have processing client side as well as server side, just to make the game feel more responsive, but this processing has no effect on the game.

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Player Collisions are client side (not secure, i know. But easier at the moment for me.)

I mean for the NPCs.

Maybe i'll change the player movement to Client + Server (check), but don't know.
We'll see.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 04:00
I agree. you start with the base. then work up.

oh. Gunslinger. if you could make a switch that would turn gore off. I know. sounds weird. but to me gore is just grose. and I don't play games that are made just for gore. please and thank you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:37:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:37:02