Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Player movement demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I thought I'd get some response to what kind of player movement you'd expect from a Top down shooter/RPG.

It will be a multiplayer team based game with vehicles and game modes such CTF and capture points to begin with. Gameplay will be more about tactics and not just a run and gun game.

I attached a demo with two options.
Here is some description about them and some pros/cons in my opinion:

1) Some kind of "arcade" movement, left key always moves the player left and upkey up etc. Aiming is done with the mouse. Allows movement in 8 directions.

Pros: Easier to get familiar with
Maybe better for faster games
Cons: Only 8 directions of movement

2) Standard fps keys, up/down moves player forwards/backwards in the direction player is looking at and left/right strafes. Allows for movement in any direction.

Pros: Finer control over the player
Easy to circle strafe and do other manouvers
More fun
Cons: Takes a bit practice to get used to

Please let me know your thoughts about them or any other suggestions you may have.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Although I would vote for (2) FPS style in any other camera angle, I must admit that in top-down view that mode of control is confusing and not comfortable. The only way I found it controllable is to press always the forward button and determine the walking direction with the mouse, but then the shooting aim and the walking direction cannot be separated from each other, which is probably not what you want.

Therefore I suggest that you use (1) arcade movement, but make it controllable with WASD keys as well as the arrow keys. If aiming is done with the mouse, then for me it's right hand, and movement with the keyboard is left hand, but then reaching the arrow keys is not comfortable... for a left-handed person this would probably be the other way around.

If you managed to make a nice demo with optional selection of the two control systems, wouldn't it be possible to leave this choice in the finished game as well?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 23:34:40
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 23:34:40