Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DarkPRINCIPLES Foundation Course v2.0

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 22:05
Hi guys, I've been selling the DarkPRINCIPLES Foundations Course for the last six months, and it's done better than I'd have expected. For this reason I've started development on DarkPRINCIPLES Foundations Course v2

The old course still features the original IDE, the new will feature the new synergy IDE, plus a more organised course structure.

My inital goal, is to produce the video recordings and narration in house. With an easy to understand menu structure, and DVD playback compatibility.

My secondary goal is to produce written matrials and a few quiz's and tests to help users gage the amount they have learned. These will appear as both PDF documents, and in a software format simulating a virtual exam. Time limits, scores, automatic marking and randomly generated exam questions.

For now, this is the inital design brief I've written up. It doesn't go into specifics because it's just a matter of getting the general structure in place.

But there are two major changes. First, the use of primer courses before each major game tutorial set, to ensure users are up to speed on the commands used. Before I'd type out source code and explain it as I go along. This time, the course will center around a minimum of three games per section. The sections will be divided between Text, 2D and 3D as expected. The second is that I'm going to be using games as the teaching subject. The previous DVD was closer to the primer tutorials I'm coming up with. Not focused on real life game uses but general theory. This time, while the games are still fairly simple, I'll be focused on several game formats.

Course Design Brief

Core Primer:

IDE Explained (Original DBPro IDE)
IDE Explained v2 (New DBPro IDE)
Variables, types, and arrays
Mathematics
Logic and Decision Making
Loops
Subroutines, and Functions
Keyboard Input
Other device input

Text Game Course

Russain Roulette
Hang Man

2D Primer:

2D Space explained
Text Commands
Object Commands
Sprites and images
Collision and reaction
2D Positional Logic foundations

2D Game Course:

Hang man
Pong
Space Invaders
Luna Lander

3D Primer:

3D Space explained
3D Object formats
Creating and loading 3D Objects
Eula positioning, rotation and movement.
Freeflight positioning, rotation and movement.
Texturing Objects
Building complex objects
Object Collision and Reaction
Building responses

3D Game Course

Hang man
Pong
Space Invaders
FPS

I'm still in the planning stages, so if anyone wants to put in there 2 cents worth now, at the beginning when things are still fluid. I welcome your input.
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 08:46 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 08:47
Wow looks really good Daniel!

How long will one game tutorial take for someone following along?
This seems bigger then your first dvd set.
It seems it will take more then 8 or 9 hours then the last set.

You throw this together i'm sure you will make some heads spin.

darkvee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:48:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:48:47