Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Importing .3ds files (models) into Dark Basic Classic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know much to describe about the subject that isn't already a part of the subject line. I just want to know how to successfully import models that I make in 3DS Max into Dark Basic Classic.

I previously attempted to import a cathedral (a .3ds file I found online) but I received an error while trying to "load object". I haven't used DB Classic in a while, and I don't have much experience as it is, but any advice/tips/help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"Have you ever imagined a world without hypothetical situations?"
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Make sure your DBClassic is the latest version (1.20 it reads 1.14 in the editor). If you have the trial version, I'm not sure if 3ds files will load.

If the polygon count is too high for a single model, DB will complain and not load it. I'm not sure what the limit is for a single model.

Try using conv3ds.exe to convert the 3ds file to .X format. You can find a link for it here:

conv3ds.exe

though I haven't tested this particular link (I just did a quick search for conv3ds.exe)

Try finding a model with only 3000 or less polygons to test loading into DBC so you can prove to youself that it works.

Load Object "some model.3ds",1

Try using Deled3d to import the 3ds model and then export it to .X format. If it won't work in Deled3d, it won't work in DBC (that's been my experience).

The only embedded textures that will work consistently with model files loaded into DBC are .bmp type image files. And the naming convention for them should be 8.3 (maximum of 8 characters for the name with a 3 character extension). Sometimes other formats will work, but more often than not, they won't.

Enjoy your day.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
They usually load easily.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:23:56