Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Dark Physics Ray Cast does not work..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 15:56
I have been trying to get the DP ray cast functions working for over a week... I believe there are bugs in this function as when I use it, I get hit detection only on certain parts of a mesh and also only at certain angles, For example if I move the vectors up a wall then at some points the ray cast passes through the wall and at others it does not, this also changes depending upon the angle at which I am hitting the mesh... I have attached screen prints of my game showing the problem using a laser dot simulation. I have also included the debug screen for the PhysX so you can see that the collision mesh is intact on the wall in the screen captures... Given the amount of money and time invested in this product I am a little frustrated by this... By the way Sparky and NGC work fine with the same objects... But I need DP for my collisions and explosions, given that I have paid for it I would like it to work, I have accepted enough frustrations with DBPro itself, lake of debug tools, wrong line errors.. work arounds.. this final frustration has destroyed any remaining confidence in using your product in any way to produce a viable game...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 04:59
Is someone going to confirm or not that this is a bug, and let me know when there will be a fix provided... or am I to assume that there will not be a fix and I should simply consider DBPro and DP as not viable... maybe a refund should be provided to those who have purchased these in good faith of the advertised functionality...
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 23:35 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2010 23:35
I've only just started using the ray casting functions today (experiments only) and as yet not had any problems. I'd post on the Dark Physics forum to get more attention.
Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 21:11
Thanks, I did that also, yes you are correct the DP ray cast will work on primitive objects like created spheres or boxes etc... But when you use it on complex meshes like, say in my case a house, then you get a raycast hit 75% of the time... other times you hit objects behind the first one.. I tried reading through all hit object and see which on is closest but it is not hitting the mesh, if I change angle or aim at a different part of the mesh it's fine.

Don't get me wrong I really like the DP product and was adding it into my game as my final FPS functions got built, like bullet holes, physics response to bullet hit or player hit... but I could not get it to work, the interesting part of this is that the Sparkys and NGC raycast both work fine with these same objects, so I know DP is the problem. I also tried using Sparky or NGC along with DP the problem is that the collision meshes required to support these and DP interfere with the DP physics.. Line makes the object not move or more wrongly becausse of the Sparky, or NGC influences... not to mention it slowed down the game when a collisino was caused...

At this point I am sad to say I have stopped working on my game becuase I am tired of trying to code around bugs and IDE issues...
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 23:45 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 00:03
user edit

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 05:08
user edit??
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 21:27
@Chiblue,
Please can you provide a model and code demonstrating the problem?

Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 16:08
Sure, I will zip up everything tonight and send it to you...
Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 16:24
I have the file it is 12mb zipped, do you have a location I can upload it to?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 16:37
Either attach it to your post or use mediafire.

Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2010 16:56
See attached..

Attachments

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 00:02
Thanks, I'm downloading it now and I'll check it out tomorrow evening.

Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 03:18
Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it..
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 12:40
Ok, so it's taken me a little longer to get to this that I original hoped for, and I've got the zip file. Just one problem - the zip contains loads of media, but no code.

Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 04:04
Sorry I thought that was what you wanted.. I have sent the entire project via email...
Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 04:05
It is 40mb, do you have a file share I can send it to?
Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 13:38
Your email server rejected it I will try to upload it to a fileshare this evening.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 21:38
40MB? It sounds like you are sending my your whole project rather than a bug report.

Generally if there's a bug in DBPro or one of it's plug-ins, you can show the problem with a relatively short piece of code - for example: load a model, position and rotate the camera, ray-cast straight forward, show that the command fails to detect intersection while visually it's obvious that it does, maybe add a very simple move-the-camera system for experimentation.

Include all stuff that's relevant, but cut out everything that isn't, both for the code and for the media. It doesn't need sound, music, unrelated objects or textures, and even if the textures are needed by the model you are using, you can replace them with reduced detail versions.

Chiblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 20:29
My project is highly integrated and dependant on each class definition, so to split out specific code and get it working would be a significant amount of work... Even just loading the world with the objects and creating the collisions on them is very intrenched... DBPro is not the best language to create modularized code...

I will see what I can do to create a simpler example.
RobertM
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having the same issue. I'm just getting the basics figured out so my code is like 30 lines or so long. Error is "Could not understand command at line 45"

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:20:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:20:25