Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Me Make FIRE!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 21:12 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 00:35
Check out this campfire I made in GDK. It's complete with flames, sparks, smoke, and flickering light. I made it with the GDK particle system. I included an image, and a link to a video. Tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03678PEE7jo

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks sweet

www.touchofdeathproductions.com
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:58
Very nice How did you make it?

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
Homeslice29
Years of Service
User Offline
1. I created four sets of particles ( base flames, upper flames, sparks, smoke )
2. By using a low 'particle life' setting with a higher 'speed', a negative gravity and a ghost particle effect, I created the flames to look like they are flickering.
3. The smoke is just larger particles, colored grey, with a slow, negative gravity, so it floats upward (also uses ghost effect).
4. There are sparks foating up from the top of the flames as well. Again, I just used tiny particles, colored orange, with negative gravity and higher speed than the smoke.
5. There is also and orange light inside the fire that moves up and down randomly (based on a timer) which simulate firelight flickering on the campfire model.

It's not finished yet, but when it is, i will post the code. I am considering making a package with a header file, and all images, models, sounds, etc... with functions so people can just include the header in their project and create different fires ( campfire, bonfire, etc..) around their maps easily.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 23:40:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 23:40:57