Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Vertigo (working title)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 22:28 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2010 22:29
So ages ago, i made a ball game where you jump along platforms called vertigo...

this game got lost, but it used to be really fun.

So lately ive been making a revamped version, so thought id let be known the progress on this.

an Alpha demo can be downloaded here:
http://smaad.co.uk/vertigo.php

This demo is V0.5 and the current is V0.87 so any bugs have already been fixed, this just gives a feel of the gameplay. HARDLY ANY MEDIA AND NO MUSIC IN THIS ALPHA DO DECREASE FILE SIZE, so listen to your own music at leisure

Im going to put up a new demo soon, featuring varied platforms, some of which can be controlled (boats) and a shop where you can buy items and stat upgrades for diamonds, Also added the space level and 2 player split screen co-op.

Heres some outdated gameplay youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PsychoGary

http://www.youtube.com/user/PsychoGary#p/u/1/w0NbI1J_SDI
The current demo features randomly generated platform-based levels. The aim is simply to get to the end, whilst maintaining a good pace as water is rising, which can lead to your demise.

Controls:
Arrow keys move
Shift jumps
Controlkey super jumps
Press Shift at the peak of a super jump, or just after falling from a ledge to anti-grav jump.

Anti-grav jumps and collecting diamonds increase your anti-grav juice, which caps at 300, and requires 100 to perform super-jumps. A super-jump can be performed at ANY TIME whether on the ground or in the air as long as sufficient juice is available.

If you fall, you respawn at the last point that ground was touched. If you respawn beneath water, you die. If you are under water too long that health drains to zero, you also die. Dying restarts the current level.

Please comment about the basic concept of gameplay, and on the feel of gameplay at present enjoy x

SMAAD presents GOD (Glory Of Dementia).. wierd music... and games... GLOWWORM BETA DEMO AVAILABLE, PLEASE REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140564&b=8
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a fun little game. I like the idea, the graphic style, and the gradual increase in diffuculty.

Two things:
-When you are up high, the water texture looks very tiled and repetitive
-The game itself gets repetitive after a while; I hope you'll add a lot more

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 23:55
Looked at the videos and the game looks extremely simple in gameplay and very fun
It reminds me of an game on the c64 or whas it on amiga ?
Keep it up.
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 00:42
Reminds me a lot of Dreamcast-era Sonic. Spinning round flying characters with coloured trails bouncing upon green-topped brown platforms collecting green gems as the sea rises...

It's inspiration.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 20:50
Looks great but adding more obstacles like spikes,collapsing platforms,swinging axes ect. will make it more fun.

A.K.A djmaster
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
trying to do that, but with so many objects onscreen its getting alot of slowdown...
trying to optimize this situation

SMAAD presents GOD (Glory Of Dementia).. wierd music... and games... GLOWWORM BETA DEMO AVAILABLE, PLEASE REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140564&b=8
Regnuar
Years of Service
User Offline
The game is a bit simple for my style, but every single item in there seems to fit with the others so good work! maybe some more details would make it more interesting.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 18:37
Nice game. Mechanics work solidly. I thought it a bit odd that you gain points for making super jumps by making the medium jumps you make by falling off a ledge and jumping in the air. Seems a bit counterintuitive, but it seems to work OK. The game is playable. If it were my game i'd penalise the player for falling off (they can catch and get back up)

It's odd that the level ends when what you would judge to be the "last" stepping stone is in sight. It would feel more satisfying and correct if you had to actually reach the last pillar. Perhaps there could be a boat, or a jet pack, space rocket, parachute or something on it.

I played in practice mode, and it felt really cool being high up. I realise the way you're supposed to play it, you're running from the water, but i liked the sense of vertigo. Perhaps if you added in clouds, or a transition to snowyness, then that would be nice. Also if you could get more of a sense of scale from the background. It'd be really epic if you got to see the curvature of the world etc.

I also think it would be cool if your character had a bit more momentum, so it was in your interest to think about taking a "run up" for jumps etc.

I like the graphics. Cool how the guy rolls about. Would like to see a bit more variety in scenery - i mainly mean textures. Some levels could be grassy, others with red rock nevada style pillars etc. Just having the one type of pillar works surprisingly well, and I don't think you need to be making more.

Anyhow it's a cool game.

Quote: "trying to do that, but with so many objects onscreen its getting alot of slowdown...
trying to optimize this situation"

Are you using instanced objects? Have you tried sticking objects together to make one big object?

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
using instanced objects but still alot of slowdown...

updated alot since... the graphical aspect i was going to focus on last

the reason you finish before the pillar is because i havent made an "end level" object so you just win in the alpha if you are near the last pillar

added a space theme though...

made boats in the river theme that "float" on the water...

made UFO's in the space theme that move up and down in sequence

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 00:16
!!!!!!!!!
It looks so awesome.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 14:17
Cool idea, it looks great!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:41:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:41:35